Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2889 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
azgooon

United Kingdom
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Issue with door model and sash properties

Hi,

Before I start, I wanted to thanks all who contributed to this awesome project and made Sweet Home 3d, plugins, models, etc. best package you can possibly have to design your home and surroundings!

In my project, I was looking to add single internal doors where I could apply different textures to the frame, hinges and door panel itself, also wanted flat the door to have flat surface. These constraints eliminated all of the objects from the catalog and so I decided to experiment in sketchup and create my own model. The model is ready (https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/513a7d...3641fafad0d/Internal-door) but even though I maintained the same dimensions as here http://www.sweethome3d.com/models/scopia/puerta.zip I am not successful with applying sash properties. I have gone through countless posts on the forum and did try different tips and solutions but nothing helped yet. Problem is that with my model and additional properties I don't even get a button displaying the model and allowing to change the angle of the opening.

In short, what I have tried is:

- 3d warehouse, download my model as collada file
- furniture editor import model set that its a door, save
- edit properties file and modify content to:
name#4=Internal door
category#4=Doors and windows
icon#4=/Internal door.png
model#4=/Internal door/Internal%20door.obj
multiPartModel#4=true
width#4=101
depth#4=18.06623
height#4=208.008
movable#4=false
doorOrWindow#4=true
doorOrWindowWallThickness#4=5.1
doorOrWindowWallDistance#4=2.9
doorOrWindowSashXAxis#4=8
doorOrWindowSashYAxis#4=9.1
doorOrWindowSashWidth#4=84
doorOrWindowSashStartAngle#4=0
doorOrWindowSashEndAngle#4=-90
modelSize#4=369029
horizontallyRotatable#4=true
creator#4=Tom Sobesto

- restart sweet home 3d and I can see that Internal door element appeared but in properties, there is no "modify openings" button.
The other weird thing is that when I apply textures within sweet home 3d, I do have to apply 2000% scale to make them look normal. This makes me think that perhaps issue is somewhere around sash values not even being near actual dimensions of the model and therefore application ignores them? I have uploaded my model downloaded from 3d warehouse https://file.io/xJHiAjBQ and I would really appreciate if someone could have a look and see what

I've done wrong. as I mentioned, I've looked at

- http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,2006
- http://www.sweethome3d.com/SVGPathMiniManualForSweetHome3D.pdf
- http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/view...A50FFD254287D200D9AB96665

but I cannot figure out the problem by myself.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
[May 12, 2020, 12:01:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Issue with door model and sash properties

The moving parts of a door are not specified in the properties of a SHF file, but are detected automatically from their name, as explained here.
From my little experience with SketchUp, naming the nodes isn't easy (or even possible?), and anyway when the parts are organized by subgroups like for your door, renaming the nodes won't work (I'll try to fix that in a future version).

At the moment, the "easiest" solution is to transform your DAE file to OBJ format (using Blender or Sweet Home 3D Import furniture / Export to OBJ), then rename the parts in the OBJ file (using Blender again or with a text editor) with the required prefixes for the hinges and the sash parts. The good thing with Blender is that it's easy to identify those parts, but you'll have to rename each node and its child like in the following screenshot.

With a little patience, you'll get the result you expected!

It's difficult to help you on the texture because I didn't experience any issue on your file.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[May 13, 2020, 7:42:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
azgooon

United Kingdom
Re: Issue with door model and sash properties

Hi Emmanuel,

I am sorry for the delay in reporting back but I have experienced some other issues along the way and it took me some time before I looked into the right place... I must have had some textures missing on my model and as a result, my doors were transparent here and there. Because I was experimenting with Blender I was convinced that Blender is causing this issue. In addition, it turned out that the problem with textures from my initial post was down to the incorrect scaling between Sketchup and OBJ files.
Anyway, today I have finally managed to import the OBJ file to the furniture editor and then use it within Sweet Home 3d and I am very impressed :) On that note, I wanted to thank you for the guide.

I've noticed that when the door has been opened the floor from either room doesn't cover inside of a white wall. Do you know by any chance how this can be sorted?

For anyone who found this post while searching for more info around "movable SketchUp" models, I wanted to share a couple of tips...

When manually altering Obj files containing more objects/groups it's more convenient to have fewer items to go through however built-in Sketchup export to OBJ support creates every single part within each group as a separate entity as well as names them in not very intuitive way, so the process of distinguishing and renaming to Sweet Home 3D part names is far from ideal. In the end, I have used

OBJexporter (c) 2013 TIG

This plugin still works with SketchUp 2020. Advantages are that it combines elements into larger objects and adds texture name to the name so not only it's so much easier to manually adapt the file but also if you exporting multiple times you can use regex to process object names.
Personally, I have recorded macro in my editor replacing text with below regex and then processing file was a matter of 2 clicks...

^[go]\s[^-]+-([^-]+)-([^-]+)-Hinges$
o sweethome3d_hinge_1_\L$1_\L$2

^[go]\s[^-]+-([^-]+)-([^-]+)-Door$
o sweethome3d_opening_on_hinge_1_door_\L$1_\L$2

^[go]\s[^-]+-([^-]+)-([^-]+)-Handles$
o sweethome3d_opening_on_hinge_1_handle_\L$1_\L$2

In my final approach, I haven't used Blender to adopt my file. The above take also fixed the issue with extremely downsized textures on my models. I hope this will save someone some time :)
[May 15, 2020, 10:51:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved