Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9599 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Aporiac

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Cut-out for kitchen sink

Hi,

First time posting here after using SH3D for a few weeks!

I've managed to achieve pretty-much everything I've wanted to do thus far, but I've got stuck on my fitted kitchen design. I'm trying to design a double kitchen cabinet with a marble worktop and a sink with drainer inset into the worktop (sink bowl is over one cabinet and the drainer over the other - as per the conventional arrangement for such things).

I've used the box shape to 'fabricate' the worktop. The kitchen cabinets and sink are from the libraries from this site.

The problem is I can't make the sink 'slice through' the worktop and the top of the cabinets in the 3D view. No matter what order I create the various objects, the worktop always slices through the sink (i.e. a section of the worktop is seen inside the bowl of the sink).

I've tried every permutation of object order, but the outcome is always the same - the sink does not cut through the box (worktop), the box cuts through the sink. I've also tried invisible boxes, and even thought I could cheat by constructing my worktop as a wall section, but this has it's own snags (e.g. can't texture the top of a wall). I've tried swapping the box for a plain shelf in case the problem is particular to the box object, but I get exactly the same phenomenon with a 'shelf'.

I've also tried creating a virtual cut-out in the worktop by making it out of four rectangular sections that when joined leave a space for the sink bowl, but this gives me two problems: -

1) The pattern on the marble is not regular, so the joins show rather starkly (this is just a matter of aesthetics and I suppose I could live with it if there's no better solution).

2) The problem moves from the worktop to the top of the cabinet over which the bowl is located, and so instead of seeing my sink filled with worktop, I see it filled with cabinet instead.

I've created a design just containing the 'problem' objects, which is linked here: -

Cabinet-Worktop-Sink

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks.

Setup
Sweet Home 3D ® Version 6.0
Java version 1.8.0_181 / 64 bit / 1.7 GB max
Java 3D version 1.6.1
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
MacOS 10.14.2
[Jan 12, 2019, 11:36:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Cut-out for kitchen sink

There are two ways to "slice through" an object:
1 - a door/window makes a cut-out in a wall
2 - a staircase makes a cutout in a floor/ceiling.

For your purpose the second option may be the best.

To do this:
1 - import a sink/drain and mark it as a staircase during the importation process
2 - make sure you have the AdvancedEdit plugin installed
3 - draw a room that has the exact measures for your worktop
4 - use AdvancedEdit's function Plan -> Edit Points to make any corrections needed for a perfect fit
5 - insert sink and drain
6 - select and use 3D View - Export to OBJ format - Selection only to export your model
7 - import your model and use it

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 13, 2019, 11:13:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Hi Aporiac

Here is a link to a a copy of your file with some mods.

You will see that i have drawn a room around your worktop and included a cutout for your sink, you can find a good tutorial on this
here, posted by Emmanuel and Sophie. I have then copied the room to another level which has the floor depth set to 40mm (the height of your worktop). After modifying the room to NOT show either size or ceilings, i exported it, 3d view > export to object format and imported it, Furniture > import furniture, done.
Another change i made as a suggestion, used a box to represent 1 cabinet, it would need a door and knob, and set the top to to show water.
Give it and Hansmex suggestions a try, experiment carrying out your own mods and enjoy.

Mike
[Jan 13, 2019, 12:04:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Aporiac

UK

Thanks for the tips, Hansmex - very helpful!

Mike53, I'm very grateful to you for the work you did fixing the problem I had in my model and for your suggestions. It looks great, and I love the water in the sink touch!

Aporiac
[Jan 13, 2019, 8:14:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Friedrich

germany

Hi Hans,

in your post 13.01.2019 12:13:31 you described the Cut-out for a kitchen sink.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work: If I proceed like in your description, the Worktop still appears in the sink that I importeds as a staircase.

What other solution does exist?

Kind regards

Friedrich
[Apr 30, 2019, 3:47:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

1 - Start a new drawing, add a level with elevation 86 cms and floor thickness 4 cm;
2 - On this level draw a room that represents the shape of your counter top; forget about the sink - add colour or texture;
3 - Import a sink and mark it as "staircase";
4 - At the lower level insert your sink - give it the correct elevation so that the top of the sink is flush with the counter top;
5 - At the top level select sink and counter top; export as OBJ (selection only) and re-import it.
6 - It works for me, so should work for you.

Note: (1) assumes that the surface of your counter top is 90 cms above the floor, and that your counter top is 4 cms thick. Adjust to your needs.
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Apr 30, 2019, 4:53:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Friedrich

germany

Thank you very much Hansmex! It works at least concerning the cut-out. Unfortunately I have an edge sink e.g. triangular shaped and the cut-out of the staircase is rectangular shaped. Whatr could I do?
[May 1, 2019, 8:38:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Check out this guide by Okh which explains what you can do to make the cut-out fit your stairs (or sinks).

H
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[May 1, 2019, 9:40:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Friedrich

germany

Hi Hansmex,

I'm overwelmed from your tips! It really works editing the cut-outs of furnitures based on SVG. I could understand the procedures described by OKH.

The problem is that it is rather complicated for me as a beginner who just wants to plan his kitchen to create a poly line in SVG for an edge sink like this one https://www.spuelenhandel.de/pyramis-medusa-corner-2b2d-eckspuele-poliert- , to be able to cut out the shape of the edge sink from a worktop. I could not find a tool with an graphic user interface that allows me to create such a shape and export it in SVG code. Maybe I'm Wrong?

I think there should exist ready to use 3D models able to cut out these shapes.

Do you have an idea where I could find such ready to use models?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Friedrich
[May 1, 2019, 7:44:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

My solution is to use a simple model that indicates more or less what I want, not a perfect model or a photorealistic representation.

I'm not aware of software that makes the cutouts you are looking for.

H
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[May 1, 2019, 8:37:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved