Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 25
Posts: 25   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2134 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: How to define multi-level hinge and rail of 3D model

sorry bad link....very link is https://www.mediafire.com/file/tg899ki8ewpuugt/sliding_door_test_wall.rar/file
[Feb 10, 2024, 5:58:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Why do you have _and_opening_on_rail_2_ in your object? It is only one door on one rail.

Some suggestions:
• Remove all _and_opening_on_rail_2_ references since they have no use.
• Add a sill at the bottom of the door and remove the wall. If you added the wall to reserve a space for the opened door ask yourself if that is really necessary. It will create problems when you texture the wall where the door is placed.
(There are better ways if you want to see the size of an opened door: add the door to a Furniture Library (download the Furniture Library Editor here ). With the Furniture Library Editor you can add properties to objects that you can't add in the object file. One of those is adding a sash that displays a graph how the door or window opens. The quarter circle lines you see when you use one of the default doors or windows from Sweet Home 3D. That displays how far the door opens and is a guide when you place the door in a wall. Another way is to extend the rail as far as the door opens and create a custom cutout when you add the door to a Furniture Library. That will require some math calculations.)
• Move object rail_1 (material white_2) to the bottom 'inside' the sill or use the sill as a rail.
• Change the material names to get a more 'readable' model. (Read this to learn how. The example file is here.)
• Have you tried putting a wood texture on the door? It's probably because you constructed (part of ) the door in Blender but a wood texture doesn't show correct. Construct the door with boxes in Sweet Home 3D and add a wood texture with a clear grain. Adjust the textures for each side if necessary (scale/rotate) and export the model. Import and change back to colors. The texture alignment and scaling is preserved so if you later want to use a wood texture it looks good.
• You can add real inset door knobs but that requires some extra construction effort ;)
[Feb 10, 2024, 7:19:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Thanks again Keep...I was around

"Why do you have _and_opening_on_rail_2_ in your object? There is only one door on a rail."........... I forgot in testing to delete

"• Remove all _and_opening_on_rail_2_ references as they have no use"...done
• "Add a threshold to the bottom of the door and remove the wall. If you added the wall to reserve space for the open door ask yourself if this is really necessary. It will create problems when you texture the wall the door is placed on." ... no it's not there in the model, I posted it there so you could check how angling the wall produces the display error during sliding... I didn't add the threshold because a sliding door normally doesn't have it, it slides or not inside the wall or outside the wall at floor level, but I could, right, put the separating wire there (to be able to hide it) if the two floors had different colors and shapes (they are normally metal)
"(There are better ways if you want to see the dimensions of an open door: add the door to a furniture library (download the furniture library editor here). With the furniture library editor you can add properties to objects that you can't add in the object file. One of these is adding a sash that shows a graphic of how the door or window opens. The quarter circle lines you see when you use one of Sweet's default doors or windows Home 3D. This shows how far the door opens and acts as a guide when placing the door into a wall. Another way is to extend the track to the door opening and create a custom cutout when adding the door to a bookcase of furniture. This will require some mathematical calculations.)".........the sliding door has no clearance openings
• "Move object track_1 (white material_2) down 'inside' the sill or use the sill as a track."....moved to the top of the frame
• "Change the material names to get a more 'readable' model. (Read this to know how. The example file is here.)".........done on the model in progress
• Have you tried putting a wooden frame on the door? It's probably because you built (part of) the door in Blender but the wood texture isn't displaying correctly. "Build the door with boxes in Sweet Home 3D and add a light grain wood frame. If necessary, adjust the textures for each side (resize/rotate) and export the model. Import and return to colors. Alignment and texture scaling are preserved, so if you later want to use a wood texture it will look good.".......I'll get to it
• You can add real knobs to the doors, but this requires additional construction effort ;).......already thought of....also because they are not knobs or handles but flat finger knobs...the problem I think It will drill the solid horizontally into round shape.
Meanwhile my extractable table continues.......I am very old and this is a pastime for me especially in winter when it is difficult for me to pursue my passion.....sailing. Thanks again Keep
[Feb 11, 2024, 6:52:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

It's Keet, not Keep smile

Looks like you're well on the way to a very good object.

To drill a hole in the door:
Create a wall the size of the door.
Rotate and resize a cylinder to the size of the hole you need.
Export the cylinder and import it as "Door or window".
Now the cylinder acts like a window and cuts a hole in the wall.
Elevate and move to the correct position and export only the wall. Even if you don't include the cylinder the hole will be preserved.
Import and you have a door with the hole in it.

Don't forget the material renaming. A door with material named "wall_1" is a little strange laughing
[Feb 11, 2024, 7:57:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Sorry Keet........for the mistake.

Today I am in Venice (the carnival) with friends and I read you on my cell phone away from my PC and among a masked crowd.
Last night, you won't believe it but I was on the right track!!!!
I thought it was right to adopt the same method that I have already used for the kitchen top with built-in sink (I pierced the wall with a slitter).....
So, if I understood what you described correctly, any object or model exported and re-imported as a door/window pierces the walls with its own shape, even if it were a mannequin object!!!????
Which would mean that if you lower the visibility of that wall and export it together with the inserted object...you can get a movement...ghost style...since the re-imported wall would be transparent and positioned on a background would show an ethereal movement.......
You see that age doesn't stop fantasies.....whether we're at carnival or not.
See you soon
[Feb 13, 2024, 7:49:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Keet
I explain the logic of my...ghost
First I drill the wall with a position fixed to the dummy (exported in that position re-imported as a window to drill the wall), I make the walls transparent or partially transparent and export.....
When I re-import it the wall will be perforated and of the desired transparency.
I export the used dummy object and edit the MTL file using the d parameter 0.???????????? on the parts to be made semi-transparent.
I reimport everything, I position the dummy (imported as a window) on the surface of the wall in correspondence with its hole... and I move it slightly to one side to give the sensation of a movement OUT of the wall....... I reimport and reimport .....now a mannequin moves as if it had come out of the wall to which it is attached.
This is my idea....do you think it could work????
Greetings
[Feb 13, 2024, 8:21:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

That should work although I would use the window-mannequin to drill the hole. Export the original again to set the transparency and import but not as a window. You can make the exported wall also transparent by editing its MTL file and set the d property.
The only problem I can see is that that window-mannequin drills a hole along its outline which might not be exactly what you need for the ghost mannequin to walk out of.

By the way, you could just place a mannequin halfway in the wall without drilling a hole and after exporting both edit all materials to add transparency. That might even look more realistic. I think the most realistic is a half transparent mannequin (not window) placed halfway in a normal the wall. The mannequin is the ghost after all, not the wall.
You will have to experiment to see which method and which d values give the best results.
[Feb 13, 2024, 9:04:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

It's not really my job but you could look here .
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Feb 13, 2024, 9:20:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Thanks again Keet,

I try the solution of drilling the wall with a round hole even if I have the doubt that the cylinder, like any 3D object, is contained in its dimensions which are basically the sum or expansion of cubes, so I believe that the cylinder hole will in fact be a square ....I think the same thing for the mannequin.....we'll see later in practice. However I will test myself with my ghost idea.
Good evening
[Feb 13, 2024, 9:26:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Nope, a window cuts a hole following its precise outline, so a cylinder will cut a round hole in a wall.
That is not the same with an object you import as a staircase. that will cut a square hole in the floor and you will have to set a custom cutout for anything different. You can set a custom cutout for a window in a wall but that is rarely needed.

The post from dorin has a link to a manual for creating custom cutouts if you want to try that. Creating custom cutouts can be pretty confusing ;)

A circle cutout:
M 0.5,0.5 l 0.5,0 A 0.5,0.5 1 1,0 0,0.5 A 0.5,0.5 1 1,0 1,0.5 z

I use a lot of 12-sided shapes (dodecagon) for which the cutout is this:
M0,0.366022099 v0.267955801 L0.133977901,0.866022099 L0.366022099,1 h0.267955801 L0.866022099,0.866022099 L1,0.633977901 v-0.267955801 L0.866022099,0.133977901 L0.633977901,0 h-0.267955801 L0.133977901,0.133977901 z

Lucky for you the mannequin imported as a window will cut a nice outline in a wall.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keet at Feb 13, 2024, 10:05:09 PM]
[Feb 13, 2024, 10:03:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 25   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved