Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3117 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Plan meta data

Thread 8326 asks for something that I think may be the archive information always put on architectural drawings. The box placed in the corner so it is visible when pulling the rolled drawing out of its container. If so, I suppose the answer is using the text-tool or something.

But something else springs to mind. Meta-data can be found in .sh3d files already, such as <compass .../> with location data. But while there are model information fields, there is, as far as I know, nothing equivalent for the plan as such. What if there was a Plan Properties field (possibly combined with the Compass) to enter some of the basics, such as:
Generator
Title
Description
Subject
Keywords
Initial Creator
Creator

(randomly copied from list of ODF metadata - what is nice is that Windows file explorer and probably others too, can display those properties in the detailed file list).

Possibly someone has developed a meta data structure for house plans which would make sense also for SH3D and be attractive for users?

ok

PS - by the way, getting a bit carried away. EXIF data for images would be nice too, or whatever standard (?) must be used for .png. Would be nice to store information about location, angle time and date along with the rendering.
[Jan 31, 2018, 12:31:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Plan meta data

In the current version, it would be possible to store the meta data you want in Home.xml file with <property name="..." value="..."/> elements added to <home> root element (or possibly to <compass> element). I used this kind of properties to store copyrights and other information in Sweet Home 3D demos like in Studio.xml.

These values can be set / retrieved by program with the setProperty, getProperty, getPropertyNames methods in Home class (available also in JavaScript Home class). But there's no user interface to set and display them yet.
In a way, I'm astonished that this kind of feature request doesn't appear more often, especially from professional users.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 2, 2018, 12:28:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Plan meta data

..possible to store the meta data you want in Home.xml...
Thanks. Obviously not a pressing request, but to me it really would be a nice-to-have feature some time in the future.
In a way, I'm astonished that this kind of feature request doesn't appear more often, especially from professional users.
Yes, so am I. Another thing that might be useful is to link from text fields to a document in the file.

Similar to the information field for models that permits links. But it would be better if it were possible to link to a file either in the same directory as the .sh3d file - or even better - inside the .sh3d file.

A quick browser test indicates that it is possible to link to local files, but I could only make it work with absolute paths, not relative. And the absolute link is not really useful.

This works:
information='<a href="file:///C:/Users/ok/Desktop/infoaboutmodel.htm">info-file</a>'
But it would be nice if this could work:
information='<a href="SH3DFILEDIRECTORY/informationaboutmodel.htm">info-file</a>'

Or something. Anyway, just thinking aloud. And maybe not the best approach, but the text fields get kind of limited to provide project information.

ok
[Feb 16, 2018, 4:47:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved