Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 22
Posts: 22   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 47019 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Suddenly, huge file size...

[...] all folders and files in the work folder can be deleted
Yes, but be sure to quit Sweet Home 3D first.

HawkDawg, thanks for proposing a file that shows this issue. I've got already one but yours might reveal something else...

mazoola, thanks for your patience to search a way to reproduce this issue. I don't think that saving the .recovery and .sh3d files at the same time is a problem, because the tasks that handle these operations work on copies of the edited home, so they don't share any data.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 2, 2015, 2:44:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HawkDawg
Advanced Member

USA

HawkDawg, thanks for proposing a file that shows this issue. I've got already one but yours might reveal something else...

I think I sent you a Private Message. I'm not sure if it went through OK or not.
Hawk
[Dec 2, 2015, 4:30:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

mazoola, thanks for your patience to search a way to reproduce this issue. I don't think that saving the .recovery and .sh3d files at the same time is a problem, because the tasks that handle these operations work on copies of the edited home, so they don't share any data.

Sorry; I should've made it clear I wasn't reporting this because i thought there was a potential link, but simply in case what I was seeing wasn't what you expected. It's been 15? 16? years since I last did any serious Java development -- and, frankly, the only serious thing about it was that I charged someone for doing it; it was embarrassingly simple work -- but in subsequent years and using subsequent languages, I've occasionally run into problems when the language didn't execute concurrent processes the way I expected or did so in differing orders under differing conditions. Since I managed to catch the save processes in the act this time, I figured I'd pass it along.

I realize this is likely to be extremely difficult to reproduce, and likely even harder to correct -- I seem currently to be experiencing it more frequently than most, and even I can't get it to misbehave on demand. (I slapped sh3d around all evening without ever getting it to fail -- and that was after importing by far the ugliest furniture item to date: 50k+ faces, 230+ materials.) Right now I think I have procedural work-arounds in place -- namely, frequent and liberal saves -- so I'm no longer all that inconvenienced by it. I'm going to keep trying to see if I can reproduce the problem consistently, and as I try things I'll continue to post what will likely be completely irrelevant updates and documentation from time to time, just on the off chance something helps you troubleshoot this problem. If (when wink ) what I post is pointless, feel free to ignore it!

Maz
[Dec 3, 2015, 9:06:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

So, after more than a month without this problem repeating,* I just now went to save a model that's been weighing in around 255 Mb -- and ended up with a 507 Mb model. Since the previous save, I'd performed no cuts-and-pastes between files or levels; instead, all I did was tweak a half-dozen or so light sources, duplicate another half-dozen or so, resize a couple of doors, and make an object invisible.

Emmanuel, could the problem be as simple as requesting a save while (or right as) the application is auto-saving the model? As best I recall, before I went to click 'save,' I heard my drive laboring as if under an automatic save. That's about the only pertinent potential linkage I noticed.

Maz

* Admittedly, I've not worked with SH3D daily during that period; 1 day out of 3 is probably a good estimate.
[Jan 5, 2016, 8:07:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for keeping posting your reports about this issue. I'm sure all your comments will finish to give me the idea that will help to fix this bug.
Autosave and save tasks work on copies of a home and on different files, so even if they run at the same moment, I don't think this should cause any problem.
[Jan 5, 2016, 10:24:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I may have found a new track: exploring the data in two files showing this bug, I discovered that the error could come from a material that references a texture image of an other 3D model in a home file. A simple way to check this issue in your sh3d file is to search an occurence of ".jpg", ".bmp" or ".png" in its ContentDigests entry. In a clean file, no occurence shouldn't be found. In a buggy sh3d file, the folder entry that contains a duplicate home will appear at the line where ".jpg", ".bmp" or ".png" is found. For example, if that line contains:
Name: 117/110/texture.jpg
the buggy folder is 117.
Having such references isn't a blocking issue, since Sweet Home 3D is able to open those files. The problem comes from the saving routine that save such an image with all the home data from which it comes, instead of saving just the texture image itself. I could try to change this routine to avoid this behavior, but I would prefer to avoid such references.
Unfortunately, I didn't find any way to produce such a reference and then a buggy file yet. I tried to copy/paste objects with modified materials from a file to another one, to paste style between such objects, to export/import such objects. Every time, the saved file was correct.
Hope you can now help me to reproduce the bug more easily with this track in mind.
[Jan 5, 2016, 6:51:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

No need to search further. I found how to reproduce this bug and as it's actually easy enough to provoke it, I fear it could happen often enough sad
Here's the simplest way to provoke it:
- In a new file, add a piece that contains at least a texture
- Save the file and quit Sweet Home 3D
- Reopen the file and edit the materials of the piece it contains
- Select the material that references a texture and click on the Texture radio button
- Confirm and save. The sh3d file gets buggy and will contain the file hierarchy a second time.
If you want to fix the error in your sh3d file by yourself, it's quite easy once you found the piece that uses its own texture in one of its materials: edit its materials and select the Unchanged radio button for this material in the Furniture materials dialog box.

Expect soon a beta version that will avoid this bug to happen again (but I don't think it will be able to fix existing files). It shouldn't be too difficult to fix smile
[Jan 6, 2016, 12:18:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Well, that description certainly applies to my current 'double-stuffed' project: ContentsDigests entry 61 contains a reference to texture.png -- and directory /61 contains the recursively saved house plan.

Is there a way to determine which object(s) contain the offending texture? In mentally retracing the steps leading to the corrupted save, I can't recall adding any texture-containing objects to the plan. (As best I can remember, the only new objects since the previous, non-corrupt save were light sources I copy/pasted from the save level.)

The only seeming constant I've found so far has had to do with time since last save -- which is partly why I asked about autosave. In every instance I can recall, a corrupted save occurred only when I'd been working on a unsaved plan for longer than, say, 20 minutes. Not all prolonged work times resulted in a bum save, but I've not yet saved a file open less than 15 - 20 minutes and had it double in size.

Also, in an earlier reply you said

The ContentDigests entry in a .sh3d file gives the SHA-1-Digest value of every entry of the .sh3d file used by Sweet Home 3D. This value is used to quickly check whether an entry is correct or not. So if you edit an entry in the .sh3d zipped file, Sweet Home 3D will think the file isn't correct anymore. I didn't program this feature to avoid users to manually edit an .sh3d file of course, but to check if an error on the disk didn't happen and inform the user accordingly. If you want to bypass this data integrity check, just remove the ContentDigests entry of a .sh3d file before opening it with Sweet Home 3D.

---which suggests to me that I should be able to save-and-compress a corrupted design, open the compressed .sh3d file in an archiver, delete the spurious directory, delete ContentDigests, and load the modified .sh3d file. When I try this, SH3D starts to load the plan but then pauses with a 'remove, replace, or halt' warning. If I respond with either remove or replace, the app simply stops the load. This occurs with the offending directory removed or merely left empty and with ContentsDigests deleted or merely edited to remove any reference to the directory. Am I missing something here? Being able to hack the plan back to size and not lose the time worked since the previous save would be of great benefit -- even if I had to reimport and position an object.

Thanks,
Maz
[Jan 6, 2016, 12:46:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Ah, the joy of simultaneous entry! smile Feel free to ignore my previous reply.

I can easily understand why I occasionally trigger this bug: At times I want to apply a texture to an object to match an existing object. Rather than go to the trouble of hunting through my texture list, I've gotten into the habit of opening an object with the desired texture, going into materials, reselecting the existing texture, and saving the [unchanged] object. This adds the texture thumbnail to the quick-pick array across the bottom of the texture selecter, making it easy to apply the texture elsewhere. I use the same technique with colors, as well.

This also explains why the trouble only kicked in with a vengeance for me with v 5.0: After I installed the latest version and loaded your predefined texture libraries, it still left me without a number of textures I'd used under 4.x. Although I still had the original images, in many cases I didn't recall at what resolution they'd originally been imported. Rather than go through a trial-and-error process to identify the correct size mapping,* I discovered I could make even textures not present in the current libraries available through the above steps. Unsurprisingly, that's when the trouble started.

My recent month+ without save errors most likely reflects I've been working primarily with newly created objects (and, accordingly, standard or newly loaded textures).

Given this latest information, I now recall that one of the changes I made prior to my latest bum save was an attempt to address the undefined face problem with some Sketchup models: I modified the materials in a long-existing object in hopes of correcting a photo texture that would occasionally disappear depending upon its orientation in relation to the camera. The texture in question no longer exists in the 5.0 library, so I picked it up from the existing object definition. Since the object had been present in the plan since May, it never occurred to me it could have contributed to the problem -- and, in fact, I'd completely forgotten I'd changed it.

I'm currently not at home, and for some reason I can no longer run SH3D on my system here. As soon as I can, I'll see if I can duplicate the problem. (Do I understand your last reply to mean I can open my 1/2-gig plan, either delete the offending object *or* change its material definition to remove references to the texture, and re-save the file once again in its 250-meg glory?)
[Jan 6, 2016, 1:21:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mazoola
Advanced Member

USA

Oops. The asterisk in the previous entry should be footnoted as such:

* It would be nice if the dimensions at which a texture had been imported was visible in the texture selecter. It'd be even better if the dimensions were editable and thus could be changed without having to re-import the image.
[Jan 6, 2016, 1:26:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 22   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved