Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9117 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Chris308

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
System Issue

I have a problem that I'd like some to address. I installed sweethome 3d a few months ago, and for some reason it seems to be a system hog on my computer. I installed the program on a partition other than "c". However, the program seems to use up all of the unused space in my "c" partition. This is happening even though the partition I installed sweethome on is on a completely different hard drive. In one instance, it used a total of 15Gb of my "c" partition, even though the project I am working on at present is only 280mb! Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or advise me on this? I need to know. If anyone has any ideas, please send me a private email. Thank you.
[Feb 12, 2015, 3:31:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: System Issue

Maybe you could provide a bit more detail? Such as:
- operating system
- version of SH3D
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Feb 12, 2015, 8:12:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sweet Home 3D hosts its private files (imported data and temporary files) in folders that are generally at C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming under Windows Vista / 7 / 8 and C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data under Windows XP (where user is your login).
When the program crashes too often (something, I hope, doesn't happen to you), the subfolder eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\work found in these folders doesn't get empty after program exit. If it's the case, you can just delete this work folder without risk, if Sweet Home 3D isn't running.
If you absolutely want to host Sweet Home 3D private files on D drive, just ask, I'll explain how to do it and move your imported stuff on D.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 13, 2015, 11:18:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Chris308

Am using XP w/ SP3 and the most recent version of SH3D on a home pc. Not a business computer. Just like to build houses sometimes for fun. It does hang up quite often, and I have to close the project and open it back up. This is an example of what I'm talking about : I have a project that is currently 290Mb. If I add some furniture to the house & then save it, It should only add the amount that the total furniture is (lets say 10Mb). But when I check the amount of free space on my "C" partition, in some cases something has used up an additional 1.5 GB of free space in the "C" partition even though I have SH3D and my projects in a completely different partition. How is this possible? I don't understand? How can it take free space from the "C" partition if neither SH3D or my projects are in the "C" partition? Certainly in this case it shouldn't be using 1.5GB of free space. In an earlier case, it used up 11.5Gb of free space of my "C" partition when the actual project was only 309MB. I had to add 5Gb of space to my "C" partition in order to re-open SH3D and my projects. This isn't really a criticism of the program, I like it very much. It's very user friendly. It's just something I don't understand why it's happening and want to fix if possible.
[Feb 14, 2015, 6:10:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Chris308, did you try to empty C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\eTeks\Sweet Home 3D\work as I suggested in my previous answer? When program crashes, this work folder won't empty automatically and only files older than a week will be deleted. If you want to recover space more often, just empty the folder.
By the way, your project is probably getting too big to run correctly (i.e. with no crash) on a 32 bit system. Please, consider upgrading to a 64 bit system.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 14, 2015, 6:30:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Chris308

Thanx for the folder suggestion. Am not home right now. Will check asap and let you know.
[Feb 14, 2015, 6:48:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Chris308

Did a complete system search for the folder you mentioned. According to the search, it is no where on my computer. In the last 3 days, there has been an increase in used space on my "C" partition of about 10GB !!!!! My current project is 309Mb. In the past, the only way to possibly restore some of the used space has been to uninstall SH3D, then reinstall the program. However, this hasn't always worked. Also, upgrading to 64 bit is not an option at this time. Other than this issue, SH3d works very well. There are some things I haven't figured out how to do tho. #1) how to add a roof, 2) how to create an 8" step up inside a room such as a Living Room. There are also some items I'd like to have such as an octagon shaped Poker Table and some others, but haven't been able to find them. Archive3d doesn't have them, I've already checked. I'd like to get in touch w/ somebody that could make some items for me, but can't find out how to do that. anyway, thanx for the help so far, its appreciated. I'd be greatfull for any additional help too.
[Feb 17, 2015, 4:20:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand

Perhaps you show find a windows utility that reports where all you disk space is allocated. I don't know much about XP, but as I recall, Windows XP can be setup to dynamically grow it's swap file - a big model might cause swap to begin to be used and grow. But as you're on a 32 bit system, swap could not account for 11 GB, so that could only be part of the problem.
[Feb 18, 2015, 7:21:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
slimpy

Application Data is a hidden folder. You may need to make hidden files and folders visible in windows explorer to be able to find it.
[Feb 18, 2015, 8:00:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Chris308

I have Partition Magic. It doesn't show the swap file as being that big. Had already tried that. Will also try the hidden files again, maybe I missed something, but don't think so. It does make things frustrating. The "C" partition is now down to under 7GB from 31Gb. All I've done on my project is to add some furniture and some textures. They can't be adding that much. Will keep you informed. Thanx.
[Feb 18, 2015, 5:23:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved