Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 11
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19652 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
raderator

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
My design for a modern 'park model' home

More pics and descriptions here http://imgur.com/a/kO4OD

Still trying to figure out a way to make solar panels tilt. I tried tilting a cylinder and triangle with the Shift key but no luck. Tilting a box might do it but there is no box to import. Also, any ideas on fixing the deck stairs? I did get the railing on both sides by mirroring the stairs but haven't done a pic. It's still still just stairs squashed to half height. I'm going to make a version with a shed roof and loft. I assume the triangle shape can be used for that or maybe just sloping walls if I can get a roof on it.
[Dec 2, 2013, 8:35:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: My design for a modern 'park model' home

1 - Box: export a box, then import it, in step 2 you can use the arrows to rotate the box
2 - Sketchup Warehouse has models for solar panels
3 - Install Sketchup, find stairs in the Warehouse, use the function Explode on it and delete the part that you don't need
4 - Nice design

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 2, 2013, 10:16:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
raderator

Thanks. How do I export? I've been using a flat mirror which works perfectly but is a bit thin. You can get the exact size and inclination by using a little trigonometry.

Yeah, I'm thrilled with the house. I actually want to have it built.
[Dec 2, 2013, 11:36:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Read the User's Guide where it says
Export to OBJ format
If you want to reuse your home in 3D software like Blender or Art of Illusion to improve its rendering for example, choose 3D view > Export to OBJ format... from the menu and import the generated OBJ file in these software. This menu item will write in the selected OBJ file the description of all the objects displayed in the 3D view, it will create a MTL file describing their color and finally, it will save the images of the textures, you may have used. The figure 28 shows a rendering done in Blender once a few lights were added in the scene.

and also the section on importing furniture .

H
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Dec 2, 2013, 11:43:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
raderator

Sounds complicated. Will a tilting box retain its thickness adjustment or just default to the minimum with height and depth describing the tilt? If so, it will be just like the mirror.
[Dec 3, 2013, 12:25:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Just try it and learn to use the program...

H
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Dec 3, 2013, 7:53:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Getting solar panels right means calculating optimal tilt angle / solar elevation. This 30w solar panel I made for a mountain cabin at 60 deg North with priority to low winter sun with 20 deg tilt.

I like your model: minimalist, compact with off-grid/renewable energy sources. Are you planning to have one built? And did you estimate requirements for panels and batteries?

I am curious about your statement about boxing in the solar panels, did you consider adding proper solar air collectors for supplementary heating / cooling / water (such as Solarventi)?

Anyone else tried similar solutions? Solar + wood stove air and water heating?

ok

PS I doubt that 47" TV will last long next to the wood stove :-)
[Dec 3, 2013, 10:01:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
raderator

The closer you tilt the edge of the LED TV toward the wood stove, the less radiant heat will hit it. I could always put a strip of thin black metal on the edges. There would be a convective load but probably no worse than having a TV near a heating vent. A projector would be more fun tho.

By boxing in the panels and providing interior vents, I could make use of the waste heat. But it would probably be too much since I have 12' of glass anyway and not a lot of thermal mass. That Amesti stove, if anything, is going to put out too much heat. We're dealing with 397sf here.

I did a quick drawing of a carport and kinda like it. It would provide extra water for a cistern and might make it feasible outside of the East. Snow loads would be a concern, tho. Speaking of snow, this VT architect confirms my bias toward 'flat' roofs in snow country.

http://swinburnearchitect.com/wordpress/?p=656

My house would have a single center drain. To prevent a puddle near the fireplace, I would cut an 8' plastic pipe lengthwise, butt the two ends together and stick it down to the roof proving a path for water under the snow to the drain. This is an original idea, as far as I know. I have ten years of experience living in the boonies and dealing with severe ice dams.

Anyway, I'd most likely put this in E Tennessee, SW Utah or NW AZ and not have to deal too much with snow and cold. And without any solar panels, cistern or carport. I want to keep the price down to near $35K, the usual price for a park model.
[Dec 3, 2013, 4:14:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
raderator

Here's a quick mock-up of tilted panels using the flat mirror icon. For 27 degree sunlight, proper size. Very easy to do with sine and cosine and you can change it. Gotta add a bracket. You'd ship the house with panels flat, hinged at the top, then pull out. Have two positions summer/winter. No climbing on the roof or even a ladder.

[Dec 3, 2013, 8:27:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

The closer you tilt the edge of the LED TV toward the wood stove, the less radiant heat will hit it.
I don't know this brand of wood stove or how well the sides are shielded, but I know safety requirements here would probably not allow anything flammable that close to the stove.
Snow loads would be a concern, tho. Speaking of snow, this VT architect confirms my bias toward 'flat' roofs in snow country.
The architect makes an interesting case. But as a lawyer, I can tell you is that flat roofs are certainly more prone to litigation :-). In one case the centre drain had clogged on a 10 storey building. When spring came and the snow slowly melted, the drainpipe burst wide open and released 2-3 swimming pools worth of water into a tiny ground floor flat.

I think snow loads and slow drainage of melt-water on flat roofs should be a concern. Imagine water sponged back up into the snow. Add some spring rain, and the relative weakness of a flat construction... And anyway, there will be small pools of water under the snow, and you would be surprised how often that water finds a short-cut through a supposedly leak-proof roof (despite what the linked thread says).

So I still think water is more likely to escape a pitched roof. AND removing snow is easier. The link below is from 60 deg North, altitude 975 metres above sea level in March 2011. Some one metre + of snow on the roof (average winter). Trouble is, you can get twice that and more.

Removing roof snow (Flickr).

There are very few, if any, flat roofed homes or cabins in this region. So while it may be possible to construct good, flat roofs with new building techniques (on say, your park home, and in a milder climate), I wouldn't want it on my own home. If I remember correctly, flat roofs have an average life span half that of a pitched roof. And in practice they so often end up in court.

As for your drained chimney, that is an interesting idea, but wouldn't it be easier to take the chimney out the wall?

ok
[Dec 4, 2013, 10:02:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved