Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12424 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
ocumo3D

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Save does not save !! HELP !

Dear developers,

This is a very ugly bug: after having spent the full day (>10 hours) working on my project --and clicking the "save" button every 10 minutes or so, as always--, I found today that the .sh3d file was not actually written and that it was exactly as I had left it two days ago. All my work was lost.

I have seen a couple of similar bugs reported but no information or outcome.

My system is Linux Mint 14, I am running SweetHome 3D version 3.5 installed from the official repositories (unfortunately this is the latest version in Mint 14/Ubuntu 12.10 repositories); I have the latest openjdk-7-jre package (version 7u9-2.3.4-0ubuntu1.12.10.1).

I have made a very thorough search in my system for any kind of files saved in the last 24 hours (hidden or not) and I can guarantee that there is nothing that remotely resembles an .sh3d file even with different name or extension.

Last night, when I wanted to exit the program, I did notice something strange: after having saved the project, I clicked Exit and I got the question "Do you want to save?" which I found strange, I had just done that . I clicked "yes" of course, but I think the program was not saving anything (obviously not, as I can confirm today).

I am very disapointed and I have lost a huge amount of work. Please can you create a tickect (I can't, I have no account in sourceforge).

Thanks a lot in advance
[Feb 10, 2013, 6:14:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Save does not save !! HELP !

Sorry to read you had such a bad issue. sad
It's sincerely the first time I've been reported that an apparently correct save operation actually didn't create any file. As far as I remember, never such a bug was reported. Could you list here the content of your the ~/.eteks/sweethome3d/work and ~/.eteks/sweethome3d/recovery folders?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Puybaret at Feb 10, 2013, 6:47:31 PM]
[Feb 10, 2013, 6:24:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ocumo3D

Thank you for quick reply.
Yes, I have checked again (ls -la) and both directories are empty, not even hidden files (except the normal '.directory' hidden file from KDE's Dolphin, which is unrelated). I had already checked all those directories in the previous days, and found them always empty, I thought it was normal.
[Feb 10, 2013, 6:37:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

And did you try again on a very simple home? Maybe it's an issue with a piece of furniture you imported?
[Feb 10, 2013, 6:44:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I checked again source code, and in the current version, it's possible that an incorrect save operation isn't reported to the user, but only in some very strange situations i.e. for runtime exceptions if you know a little Java programming.
I changed the code to always report any issue that may happen.

But still, it doesn't tell me what you did to provoke such an issue, and would be glad you find a way to reproduce it. If ever you find out, I'll give you instructions that will help me to get more information on your issue at the save operation time.
[Feb 10, 2013, 7:38:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ocumo3D

Thank you Pyubaret,
I did import several pieces of furniture yesterday, during the session that failed to save. I took most of them from archive3d.net, also from other sites with free 3d models. Most of the imports I did, was by dragging the .zip file over the Furniture import wizard, and took only those that were recognized.

I am trying a simple home and now I can see several files in the work directory and none in the recover directory. I certainly understand the absolute need to find a way to reproduce the problem, believe me. I will try using those imports in a testing project, and see if I can somehow relate any of them with the issue.

I appreciate very much that you have chance the code to always report issues, and please could you indicate if there is currently (or where in future) any log file where we could find some debug info for helping you.

Also, since I do need to redo what I lost, I am afraid of using this version unless I would have an idea of what could be wrong. I have seen that in v3.7 you have fixed an issue where importing certain objects could lead to corrupted home file, I wonder if that is the kind of issue I am experiencing?

If so, please could you tell if it is safe for me to download the standalone version of the program, the last version, decompress it in some directory and run it from there, without uninstalling my current 'official' v3.5 ?
What would you recommend? Uninstall or not? or shall I not even try the stand alone version?

Thanks a lot for your quick support, I appreciate it very much. If you have further recommendation for debugging, please let me know.
[Feb 10, 2013, 8:16:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ocumo3D

I forgot to add that I have set in the preferences, the option to "Save home data for frecovery every 10 minutes". And yet, as mentioned, I don't see any data there, even though I have this new project open for about an hour.
[Feb 10, 2013, 8:22:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ocumo3D

I mean, no data in the 'recovery' directory. Not sure if that is normal.
[Feb 10, 2013, 8:24:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

A simple question: are you able to save a simple project? I mean, when you try to save, is the file you chose is created?
[Feb 10, 2013, 9:47:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ocumo3D

Yes, I have created various projects and am able to save them.

I have downloaded the standalone v3.7 tar file, decompressed it to another folder and run SweetHome3D --still not sure if it is ok to do this. Now, since this means I have to launch the program from the command line, now I can see errors in stderr/stdout.

When I launch the SweetHome3D script, it outputs this:
Java 3D: implicit antialiasing enabled

Now, when I open the project that gave me the problem, this is the output in the console:
Can't load texture: POST-201.JPG Make sure it is located in the same server and directory with the model file. the loader's base path is: jar:file:/home/user/.eteks/sweethome3d/work/3700-9cd90453-dc53-4678-972c-aec1a0062ff6/open40075525050687096.sweethome3d!/12/
java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.vecmath.Tuple3f.<init>(Tuple3f.java:93)
at javax.vecmath.Vector3f.<init>(Vector3f.java:75)
at com.microcrowd.loader.java3d.max3ds.data.KeyFramer.buildPivotGroup(KeyFramer.java:230)
at com.microcrowd.loader.java3d.max3ds.data.KeyFramer.createBehavior(KeyFramer.java:105)
at com.microcrowd.loader.java3d.max3ds.chunks.KeyFramerInfoChunk.initialize(KeyFramerInfoChunk.java:62)

at com.microcrowd.loader.java3d.max3ds.ChunkChopper.loadSubChunks(ChunkChopper.java:225)
at com.microcrowd.loader.java3d.max3ds.ChunkChopper.loadSubChunks(ChunkChopper.java:223)
at com.microcrowd.loader.java3d.max3ds.ChunkChopper.loadSceneBase(ChunkChopper.java:141)
at com.microcrowd.loader.java3d.max3ds.Loader3DS.parseChunks(Loader3DS.java:223)
at com.microcrowd.loader.java3d.max3ds.Loader3DS.load(Loader3DS.java:299)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.ModelManager$2.load(Unknown Source)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.ModelManager.loadModel(Unknown Source)
at com.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.ModelManager$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I do not know whether this is the root cause of the issue or just something else unrelated. This refers to a furniture I dodwnloaded from the above referred site, a zip file containing only three files: "Armchair N230808.3DS", "Armchair N23080.gsm" and "archibase.net.txt"; Now, the .3DS file (binary) does include the string "POST-201.JPG", but the file is not existing. I do not know how to remove that Armchair furniture from the project, because I don't see it in the list of furniture, or in the project. I suppose I may have used it in the home, but then deleted it, however this reference inside the .sh3d file is still there.

Is there a way to remove this reference to the Armchair file from the .sh3d file? Could this be the cause of the bug in the SH3D program refusing to save and not reporting it?

Thanks again
[Feb 10, 2013, 11:49:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved