Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8416 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
jhiver

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Installation woes on MacBook Pro

Hello Guys,

I'm having a hard time getting Sweet Home 3D to work on my new Macbook Pro Retina. I previously had it running without problems on my Mac Mini, which runs OS X Lion.

On the Macbook Pro, I have OS X Mountain Lion (18.8.2). When I launch the app, it says it needs Java SE 6 and prompts for an install. However when I click "install" (which should trigger the download + install process), it says the software is currently unavailable.

I've tried for several days and I always get this message.

I've installed java directly using Sun installation package and this is what I have now:

MacMimi-2:jre Mimi$ java -version
openjdk version "1.7.0-internal"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0-internal-root_2012_01_27_18_44-b00)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 21.0-b17, mixed mode)

Turns out installing Java doesn't make any difference. It still says Java SE 6 is needed.

I've tried downloading and using the "portable" version but I get the same error when I click on the MacOS X app.

Any clues on how to get this to work please? Sweet Home 3D is a superb app and I would like to enjoy it on my new computer...

Cheers
JM
[Nov 19, 2012, 9:34:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Installation woes on MacBook Pro

Sweet Home 3D isn't compatible with Java 1.7 (or 7) under Mac OS X yet, so please install Java SE 6 provided by Apple.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Nov 19, 2012, 9:43:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jhiver

Thanks for your reply, I've been desperately trying to find Java SE 6 download link on apple support pages without much success... ah well, it's better one knowing than 100 searching -)

Downloading now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Cheers
JM
[Nov 20, 2012, 12:18:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jhiver

Hello Again.

Doesn't work... when I try to install the download you supplied, it says "this update needs Mac OS X 10.6". But I have 10.8... :-(

Thanks
JM
[Nov 20, 2012, 12:27:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Sorry I should have better read the link I gave you.
This one should be ok:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39490/apple-java
[Nov 20, 2012, 2:49:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jhiver

OK, I'm officially in Java nightmare... when i try to install, it says a more recent version of this package is already installed. I've tried following instructions found here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_uninstall_java.xml

and here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559?viewlocale=en_US

To uninstall Java and renable java 6 but it doesn't seem to work. It always says "a more version of this package is already installed".

Who said MacOS was user-friendly? :-)

If you have any clues...

Thanks
JM
[Nov 21, 2012, 7:18:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I think the problem comes from the fact that you made some tests with Java 7 while its development, and you never removed the JDK you installed.
Do you have some subfolders in /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ or ~/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ folders (if you hate Terminal, you can type these directories with Finder > Go > Go To Folder menu item)?
[Nov 21, 2012, 3:43:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jhiver

Hello,

I don't hate terminal, quite the contrary in fact :)

Here's what I see:

MacMimi-2:~ Mimi$ ls -al /System/Library/Java/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Nov 8 11:33 .
drwxr-xr-x 74 root wheel 2516 Nov 8 11:33 ..
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Nov 8 16:00 Extensions
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Nov 8 11:33 Support

MacMimi-2:~ Mimi$ ls -al ~/System/Library/Java/
ls: /Users/Mimi/System/Library/Java/: No such file or directory

Cheers
JM
[Nov 22, 2012, 4:58:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

And what is the path returned by the following command?
/usr/libexec/java_home

[Nov 22, 2012, 4:35:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jhiver

This is where it's getting weirder...

MacMimi-2:~ Mimi$ /usr/libexec/java_home
-bash: /usr/libexec/java_home: No such file or directory

But...

MacMimi-2:~ Mimi$ locate java_home
/usr/libexec/java_home

MacMimi-2:~ Mimi$ ls -al /usr/libexec/java_home
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 79 Nov 8 11:33 /usr/libexec/java_home -> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java_home

Is a symlink to a file which no longer exists - probably because i tried uninstalling java using different methods as I was browsing / googling on how to do it...

I know java 7 is installed but I don't even know where that is installed :-(
[Nov 22, 2012, 6:05:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved