Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 27
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 25120 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
my bathroom

Nothing fancy, but I like how it turned out in SH3D, so hopefully it will look as good in real life. smile

I almost think the toilet area looks too cluttered though, but I want the 2 sets of shelves to balance each other. Eh, decisions, decisions...
----------------------------------------

[Aug 29, 2010, 7:43:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: my bathroom

Nice rendering.
Candles in your bathroom will definitively give a special atmosphere. wink
You should try to light them with small light bulbs...
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Aug 29, 2010, 8:48:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Thank you, and I am going to try the lights, seeing I've been wanting to try out the fireglow light anyway.. lol... Here was my chance.

Edit:

Here is a remake of the remake. smile

And this is my idea of the dream home theatre

I wanted to light the candles with the fireglow, but I couldn't get them to emit light through the sphere I used as a light bulb, but the warm light bulb worked. If dbtech sees this, and knows what I might have done wrong, please let me know... Though the candles turned out pretty good with just the warm glow bulbs. wink

And that is supposed to be a flat screen TV on the wall. I will have to look into my texture settings...

[Edit 2 times, last edit by whippetsleek at Aug 29, 2010, 10:45:10 PM]
[Aug 29, 2010, 9:29:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

Hi whippetsleek,

Like the second version better than the first, looks bigger as well with only one floor to ceiling shelving.

Wow they are some powerful candles!! biggrin Have you tried without the ceiling light, just the wall lights and candles? as that will help make it more cosy.

Is this the kind of effect you are after?

PS: Don't forget to add a towel, so people can dry their hands! wink

db4tech
[Aug 30, 2010, 2:38:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

Yes, that is what I was after. OK, so how did you do that? smile

I'm guessing with layers of glass objects?

And I am on a laundry strike, so you want a towel... go and wash it yourself! tongue

Really, I'm just starting to learn how to make meshes look like actual cloth. I could have copied and pasted the towel from the towel bar file, but I want to try to make my own. It might take some time, so sit on the porelain throne, have a coke or whatever else, and admire my sense of style for awhile. Or I am going to have to go all Yoda on you and make you run through the swamps for a couple of laps. biggrin

And how did you get the moon? I wanna try it....

[Edit 1 times, last edit by whippetsleek at Aug 30, 2010, 8:40:12 PM]
[Aug 30, 2010, 8:39:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

And I am on a laundry strike, so you want a towel... go and wash it yourself! tongue
Ooo! :-O laughing

Yes I made the object out of layers, no glass is used and "Compute glass transparency" also isn't ticked. wink

The object needs some more work though, to add more graduating layers, for extra realism. I guess in its current form, it would look good from a distance.

Sorry couldn't reply yesterday, I was on a training course, titled "How not to get swamped down with work!" presented by some guy named Ben, or was it O'Ben. biggrin

Do you have any updated renders yet?

db4tech

Edit:

And how did you get the moon? I wanna try it....
Oops! Forgot to say about the moon, you need a very, very, very long rope!

Okay the moon is just a very large sphere, with a very large and very bright light in front of it. Improvisation. smile
[Edit 1 times, last edit by db4tech at Aug 31, 2010, 10:37:25 PM]
[Aug 31, 2010, 10:32:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

No new renders yet, I am doing "the boring real life stuff" right now. And I am working on finishing an exterior view of a house I am designing for myself. If I could only split me and my computer into two.... :le sigh:

I am going to try the moon (without the rope) (even though the rope could be an added entainment bonus... devilish ) I do love how the scene looks, and the mood...

So many projects to make or try, so little time.... hopefully I will finish the exterior view soon, and show it off.

[Sep 1, 2010, 12:26:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

I tried to emulate your render, and this is as close as I got...

I made 3ds glass objects to resemble flames, and as you can see, they turned transparent. Is this a problem with the file or the plug-in? I can attach my flame file if you need to look at it, but since it is 3ds, I'm not sure if it gives the texture info like an obj mtl file?

I thought maybe my light settings were too strong, so I tried the "use light angle as power knob" and I could not get the scene to render at all. This is what it looked like....

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

EDIT:

This is my current project. This is a house I would like to build sometime. I've always loved the old cottage look that early american and earlier english homes had, so I tried to mimick that with my design. It is a fast render, so not too detailed, and I want to add some more details, but here ya go...

[Edit 2 times, last edit by whippetsleek at Sep 1, 2010, 4:09:16 PM]
[Sep 1, 2010, 3:58:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
db4tech
Advanced Member

UK

As mentioned in this post. To create night I made a 'night time sky' jpg to use as a sky texture, otherwise it never really gets dark enough.

What index of refraction setting are you using for your glass? if it is near 1.0, then because the light won't bend the object will appear invisible.

Do you design everything in SketchUp? I only ask after importing your 3DS sconce model straight into Sweet Home, have you tried it, have a look and see what happens? smile Maybe SketchUp isn't good at exporting 3DS?

When you ticked "Use light angle as power knob" had you rotated the light bulbs you added to the scene? I ask because they start switched off, at zero degrees, so require some rotation to produce light, around 30-40 seems about right for candle light, adjust to taste (And no! I don't mean eat the candles!!) biggrin

Your current project is looking interesting!

db4tech
[Sep 1, 2010, 7:11:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
whippetsleek
Advanced Member

As mentioned in this post. To create night I made a 'night time sky' jpg to use as a sky texture, otherwise it never really gets dark enough.

I use the cloudy sky background and it does okay for me...lol.. I have made other night pictures, and I noticed awhile back that some of my day and night times were reversed in the renders, but I thought it was just my settings. The picture background is dark enough for my preference, but I am not getting much of a "glow".

What index of refraction setting are you using for your glass? if it is near 1.0, then because the light won't bend the object will appear invisible.

This is the mtl file...
# Blender3D MTL File:
# Material Count: 1
newmtl Untitled_1
Ns 96.078431
Ka 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
Kd 0.737778 0.339378 0.073778
Ks 0.422222 0.247078 0.046914
Ni 2.296000
d 0.222222
illum 2

I haven't worked much with editing mtl files, so I forget which is which, I have a cheat sheet saved as a notebook file, but I haven't used it much. biggrin I have been lazy, and letting the 3DS or sketch up do all the mtl file making.

Do you design everything in SketchUp? I only ask after importing your 3DS sconce model straight into Sweet Home, have you tried it, have a look and see what happens? smile Maybe SketchUp isn't good at exporting 3DS?

I don't make all of my designs in Sketch up, laughing but it is the easiest to use for textures. I use Blender (on a very BIG learning curve....!)and for some reason my computer or graphics card does not like AOI, it freezes sometimes when I try to render or export files. I do not like Misfit, the interface to me is odd. I make most of my files 3ds because of friends (we share alot of files) and they don' use as much hard drive space. Sketch up does have some known issues with 3ds formatting, but there are work arounds, and most of my files are imported into SH3D as DAE files. The wall scone was just one of the many files that I used as a dae file that hasn't given me trouble once I fixed the mesh problem. Have you tried the wall scone in your SH3D? Is it giving you any trouble? The glass in it is not truely transparent, so I'm not sure how other computers will compute the glass.

When you ticked "Use light angle as power knob" had you rotated the light bulbs you added to the scene? I ask because they start switched off, at zero degrees, so require some rotation to produce light, around 30-40 seems about right for candle light, adjust to taste

Do you mean to rotate the light bulbs themselves in the 2d plane? I was rotating the light angle knob on the advance interface... the one for the sunlight... you notice on my picture the knob is rotated to 310 degrees, I was trying to get the render to work. But even if I rotate my bulbs in the 2d plane, the render window will act like it is about to render, but then gives me the blank gray box like above, and is waiting for me to rerender or save...

Your current project is looking interesting!

Thanks! I'm debating on the choice of siding versus brick and all that fun stuff.

Well don't I feel a little sheepish..... blushing

[Edit 3 times, last edit by whippetsleek at Sep 1, 2010, 11:34:11 PM]
[Sep 1, 2010, 9:45:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved