Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 227 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Kenny48

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
SWH3D Frozen and unable to close it

This has been an ongoing thing. Recently I changed from Ubuntu to Zorin OS. I installed the app from the software app. Works fine for about an hour, then it freezes. This time however it froze and I am unable to close it, even after rebooting it is still there frozen.

Any suggestions. Id hate to have to re-install Zorin as it works perfectly with all my other apps. However I cannot do anything with it still running.

FYI
HEWLETT PACKARD PAVILION 23-P029C 23"
INTEL I5 4570T ALL IN ONE PC
Intel Core i5 4570T
TDP: 84W
Operating speed: Up to 2.9 GHz (up to 3.6 GHz turbo)
Number of cores: 2
Socket: LGA 1150
Bus speed: DMI (Direct Media Interface) - 5.0 GT/s
Memory 8GB

Sorry, although I use Linux, I am not a computer nerd, just a poor senior citizen who could not pay for Windows.
[May 5, 2024, 11:49:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Re: SWH3D Frozen and unable to close it

...even after rebooting it is still there frozen.

This is simply not possible. I think you are sleeping or hibernating your system. This does not terminate running programs.

You say you are not a nerd. Do you know about processes, and how to kill them? It may be possible to terminate the running process without rebooting your system. It is very rare, but sometimes a Linux system can leave a frozen window even when the process has been killed. In that situation only a full shutdown and restart will rid you of the window.

First lets see if we can help you kill the frozen process. Open a terminal, and type the following:
ps -ef | grep -i sweet | grep -v grep

(list all processes, do a case insensitive search for "sweet", then exclude our own search process from the result. There should only be one line.)

You will see a very long line. First your username, then the process id. i.e.
steve 653099 89919 32 02:59 pts/3 00:00:28 SweetHome3D-7.2/runtime/bin/java -Xmx2g -classpath SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/SweetHome3D.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/Furniture.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/Textures.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/Examples.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/Help.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/batik-svgpathparser-1.7.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/jeksparser-calculator.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/iText-2.1.7.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/freehep-vectorgraphics-svg-2.1.1c.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/sunflow-0.07.3i.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/jmf.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/java3d-1.6/j3dcore.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/java3d-1.6/j3dutils.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/java3d-1.6/vecmath.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/java3d-1.6/gluegen-rt.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/java3d-1.6/jogl-java3d.jar:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/jnlp.jar -Djava.library.path=SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/java3d-1.6:SweetHome3D-7.2/lib/yafaray -Djogamp.gluegen.UseTempJarCache=false -Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.applicationId=SweetHome3D#Installer com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D -open

I've bolded the process id here. Important! The process id on your system will be different. So now type the following, but replacing my process id with your own:
kill -9 653099

The -9 (aka SIGKILL) flag makes it not a request to the application to terminate (i.e. -15 aka SIGTERM), but a hard kill.

Hope that helps.
[May 6, 2024, 3:12:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

1. You don't need to reinstall ZorinOS.
2. The wrong thing is you have installed SH3D from software app.
This usually give unexpected symptoms. So, I recommend you to install SH3D from the official page (Download).
3. An alternative solution to your problem:
Use left Ctrl+Alt+Esc. This will change the mouse cursor in a red skull with two crossed bones.
Move the mouse over the frozen window and click on it. This usually kill the corresponding frozen process.
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[May 6, 2024, 9:21:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Kenny48

Germany

Thanks for the info. I did go to terminal and use the kill command to finally close it. But otherwise, no I do not really understand processes or anything IT. I am much more of a hands on person. I can build you just about any piece of furniture. Or tell you about your house plants. However, when it comes to computers, I am a complete idiot! Which is one reason I gave up on Ubuntu. The forums there are simply too rude to people like me. I posted that thread, quite late last night, so did not see all the replies till today.

I am totally confused as to why Sweet Home freezes the way it does. It is usually after it has been running over an hour or so, and I have been taking photos. That by the way takes a very long time, usually a half hour to generate one photo. It did that, even when I had Ubuntu, but the version that came with Ubuntu was only 6.2 Zorin runs 7.2 So am thinking it simply uses a lot of my older computers resources.

Thanks for the replies. I think the problem is solved for now.
[May 6, 2024, 11:08:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Kenny48

Germany

Thanks Dorin
I did try to install it from the website. However Zorin would not let me install. Said I must use the version they provide, in the software library.
[May 6, 2024, 11:11:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I did try to install it from the website. However Zorin would not let me install. Said I must use the version they provide, in the software library.
Strange. With new versions of Sweet Home 3D I don't install. I download the 64 bit .tgz file and extract it next to other versions I have. This can basically be anywhere you want. I have all versions on a separate partition for Sweet Home 3D on a data disk. Simple as that.
Since the home .eteks folders are already there this should work just fine. Start with the SweetHome3D-Java3D-1_5_2 script in the extracted directory.
This is on Debian. Ubuntu is based on Debian and Zorin is based on Ubuntu so this *should* work.
If you have the memory available you can try to increase the amount of memory Sweet Home 3D is allowed to use by changing the -Xmx parameter in the startup script, for example to -Xmx4g or -Xmx6g.
[May 6, 2024, 3:11:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Don't let the OS to think it is smarter than you.
However, when it comes to computers, I am a complete idiot!
So do I!
Even so, I'm the master(as stupid I am) and the bloody computer is the slave(as smart as it think it is). That's my rule.
1. Use Synaptic (or whatever package manager you use) and remove(purge) all files related to SH3D provides by software app.
2. Download and extract it somewhere in your home user space.
You will have a folder SweetHome3D-7.3.
3. In that folder double click on SweetHome3D file and choose Execute.
That's the start.
If the OS still think is smarter than you, ignore it. It is not!.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
[May 6, 2024, 3:28:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

If the OS still think is smarter than you, ignore it. It is not!.
A computer(-program) is basically stupid. It can only repeat what it is told to do but it can do that fast and repeatedly exactly the same way, every single time. smile
[May 6, 2024, 3:39:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@Keet
This argue could be a tread in the Bar section.
Many users don't realize that all happen on their screen (mouse movement cursor, position, selection, warnings, etc) was previously programed by someone (usually a common human bean).
Don't replay here!
Let this tread to help the owner.
To continue the discussion open a new tread under Bar forum. I'll be there! biggrin
[May 6, 2024, 4:18:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved