Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 281 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
A.D.STUDIO

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Working with walls and ceilings in 3D

OK so: I imagine most people aren't as obsessed with walls and ceilings for general use. However, I'm trying to render a commercial project where there's way more stuff on the walls and ceilings than the floor.

I really would like to be able to do this neatly in 3D mode. I'd like to be able to be in some kind of "flush to wall" mode and move things up and down and left and right. That's it. 4x cursor control, the objects stick to the wall. At the moment, it seems painful. Maybe I'm missing something. I need to put potentially 100s of panels on walls and it's killing me.

For one, the same modifier key affects both zooming and vertical positioning (opt). These need to be different modifiers, Can we make more use of shift and command and other combos?

Thanks for any feedback. Appreciate this community.
[Apr 12, 2024, 11:39:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Working with walls and ceilings in 3D

Don't dream too much. Editing in 3D view can't be so handy because of the 3 dimensions to handle (it's the reason why this feature appeared optionally only in version 7). Nevertheless if you place the direction of the view perpendicularly to the wall, it should be ok to place things on a wall. Remember also that if you pressed Shift key after you pressed the mouse button, the objects will move only along X and Y axes.
Shift is already used for multiple selection. It could be another key like E for Elevation but I don't really see the problem to use Alt key for zooming and moving vertically (note that under operating systems difference from macOS, it's the Ctrl key). It all depends on the place where you press the mouse button: on the selected object it will change its elevation, elsewhere it will zoom in the 3D view.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Apr 12, 2024, 5:39:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
A.D.STUDIO

Australia

Thanks Puybaret. My idea was to engage "wall mode" where objects are forced to stay on the plane of the wall, and they can freely be dragged up/down/left/right with the mouse. I'm placing so many objects on walls and need to visualise how it looks. Rather than one picture frame for example I'm talking about hundreds of acoustic tiles. It takes a long time at the moment.

As for the second point, I realise how "opt" is working but it trips me up a lot. I'm constantly toggling the "aerial view centered on selection" as well. It's just not that easy moving around in the space, focusing on and moving objects in 3D mode.

Thanks for your hard work, appreciated.
[Apr 13, 2024, 3:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

Maybe this is what you need:
https://youtu.be/0035koEisDM?si=DtGoIJ2ykHS4cSP-
[Apr 13, 2024, 9:59:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
A.D.STUDIO

Australia

Thanks, looks promising, exactly what I need. Do you have instructions? I can't get it working, with the plugin installed I can no longer select objects in 3D mode let alone move them.
[Apr 13, 2024, 2:27:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

You must use SweetHome3D 7.2 or later, and Pan 3D view plugin 4.1.
From menu File>Preferences check the option "Select and edit in 3D view", then from menu View 3D>Pan 3D view settings select the drag mode that you like (I guess you want "smart").
[Apr 13, 2024, 6:24:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
A.D.STUDIO

Australia

Thanks, I had 4.0 but 4.1 with SH7.3 seems to be working...
[Apr 14, 2024, 2:12:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved