Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 24
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 604 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
problem to 3d view

Good evening everyone, especially Keet who I have already bothered with problems, to which he has given excellent solutions.
I hope I chose the right post.
Once I had created the "famous" (at least for Keet) EXTERNAL SLIDING DOOR (following his every suggestion) I realized that, apart from the known problem to view of inserting a door/window on a wall not aligned with a rail scrolling (with the same methods listed below), the "door" object when scrolling along its SWEETHOME3D_RAIL_ in 3D view has different behaviors.
If you proceed with the opening via a panel (therefore permanent) in effect it also drags "the door/window property" along the rail, not keeping it in the initial position but widening it along the wall in the direction of the movement, which on the contrary does not happen if you act directly on the object in 3D view.
It's not a huge problem but it's annoying.
I also take this opportunity to ask if there is a method to define ONLY ONE PART of a complex object such as a door/window.
Thanks in advance for any advice.s
[Mar 7, 2024, 7:36:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: problem to 3d view

I'm not sure I understand the problem exactly but when you slide the door open the bounding box as shown in the 2Dview expands. That's how it works. A screenshot with a closed and opened door in a wall would help (a screenshot with both the 2D and 3Dview.)

I assume that by 'drags "the door/window property" along the rail' you mean that the whole door expands and cuts a bigger hole in the wall? If that is the case you probably have parts of the door frame that slide along the rail, i.e. the frame has sweethome3d_opening_.. connected to it. Only the parts that should move should have that prefix.
If you did that correctly and the hole still expands you will have to resort to adding the door to a Furniture Library to control the wall cutout.

The second part of your question:
Almost every complex object is defined by parts. If you look in the OBJ file you will see lots of lines starting with "g ". Each part of the object is a set of "g " lines.
Export a box and you will see 6 "g " lines in the OBJ file. Those are the six sides of the box. If you add a cylinder and export the box+cylinder you will see the same 6 groups for the box and 3 more for the cylinder.
That is how I create furniture: I create parts and export them. I edit the OBJ and MTL files to merge material names. I import all the parts I created and add them together to create the end product. Then export them all together and import as a single complex object. In short: Yes, you can define parts for a complex object. Every part is an object just not so complex as the end result.

For example your sliding door:
Construct the frame and export it as 'frame.obj'.
Edit the obj file: Rename all usemtl lines to "usemtl Frame", in the mtl file rename the first block "newmtl Frame" and remove all other blocks. Save and import the frame.

Construct the rail and export as 'rail.obj' (just the top of a stretched box, all other sides made invisible).
Edit the rail obj file and add the prefix "sweethome3d_rail_1_" in the "g " line. Rename the line with usemtl to "usemtl Rail".
In the rail.mtl file rename the newmtl line to "newmtl Rail". There should be no other blocks.
Import the rail object.

Construct the door and export as 'door.obj'.
Edit the obj file: Rename all usemtl lines to "usemtl Door". Add the prefix "sweethome3d_opening_on_rail_1_ in all "g " lines.
In the mtl file rename the first block "newmtl Door" and remove all other blocks. Save and import the door.

Add the 3 imported objects together and export as "slidingdoor.obj", import as "Door or window'. Done, and created in parts.

For more details you will want to create more parts, for example an outerframe and innerframe, a handle to add to a door, etc.
[Mar 7, 2024, 10:08:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Hi, Keet
Sorry for the delay, I'm just back from three days of "not nice" sea and wind...
Going back to your answer.

The problem, as mentioned, is in 3D view. The only object that slides on the rail is the one defined as DOOR (together with its handles).
The construction of the "external sliding door" object was done exactly as you described (you had already indicated it to me)... by creating individual objects and then composing them and finally choosing which (or which parts) of a single object they will have a movement.
As you also say, by importing the final object as a "door/window" the "door/window" attribute is attributed to the entire area of the object in the import position BUT ONLY for the moving object this attribute is translated into the movement.

The result is that the FRAME limits the portion of fixed transparency but the DOOR dragged along the wall translates this attribute with it for the entire length of its movement.
The solution of composing 2 lateral objects in the initial object (walls exported and re-imported laterally to the FRAME and with the width of a hypothetical opening (with a height equal to the height of the FRAME) only visually solves the problem but poses others.
A separation line always remains in the upper part of these objects and makes it mandatory to use the same texture adopted for the supporting wall.
As for a hypothetical method (Sweethome3d_ instruction) to attribute the "door/window" property to a single object (as today for the MIRROR one) would solve the movement problem if, (in this case) attributed ONLY to the FRAME (therefore the opening in the wall would ALWAYS remain fixed regardless of the motion of any object in the set)
I would like to insert screenshots (which I have) to highlight the problems but I have no idea how to do it
Greetings
[Mar 10, 2024, 7:06:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

I forgot, what is indicated for the DOOR ONLY happens using the relevant movement panel. If you simulate movement directly from the 3D desktop this does not happen
[Mar 10, 2024, 7:18:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I read your post several times but I can't get my head around to understand the exact problem.

You can upload a screenshot to one of the image hosts like mediafire or imgur. They give a link /url you can add to your post.

For a complete screenshot draw a wall with a door closed and one opened. Take the screenshot so you have both the 2D and 3D views in it.
With mediafire you could also upload your .sh3d project so we can use that to determine the problem and find a solution. If necessary create a new project with only the door parts and the results in it for uploading.

This problem with your slidingdoor intriges me because it should be a simple construction, but it obviously causes weird behaviour.
[Mar 10, 2024, 7:43:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Off course
https://www.mediafire.com/file/pgse5zl70hjrsm6/ExternalDoorSliding.rar/file
[Mar 10, 2024, 8:25:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

The "door with walls" is RAW (proof)
[Mar 10, 2024, 8:27:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Let's say that even the sliding door still needs to be improved, for example for both the FRAME and the DOOR to have 2 fronts on which to apply different textures if necessary
[Mar 10, 2024, 8:29:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

The only difference from the normal use of Sweeethome is that I set the magnetism to OFF
[Mar 10, 2024, 8:31:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

positioning the observer on the opposite side of the "door with walls" I noticed a further problem with this choice. The "side by side walls" should be set from time to time (by modifying the object) to the thickness of the supporting wall otherwise you would obtain an IMPROPER indentation effect
[Mar 10, 2024, 8:40:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved