Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 30
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1070 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Custom 3D Model being imported without texture

Very very thans Keet
[Mar 17, 2024, 1:37:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Hello KEET
Here I am again, my work on the shutters is almost finished and, hopefully soon, if you want, I will send it to you again for any criticisms to improve the objects created.
Precisely while I was creating said objects, they are for historical houses not modern ones, I came across a strange object in the creation of an object to create texturable indentations in the walls and not totally perforating EVEN IF IMPORTED AS WINDOWS/DOORS therefore with the appearance of solid objects.

IN 2d AT LEVEL 0
1) I created a completely closed wall with thickness 0.1 and height 2 (then you will see that the height is irrelevant)
2) I created the relevant floor (without area and ceiling)
3) I placed a small object (I used a mini cube to then be able to recognize it)
4) I exported everything into an obj
5) I deleted the minicube information from the obj file (to avoid having to use an editor, I imported it into sweethome3d, made the parts of the cube invisible and exported it again)
6) I corrected the obj file by identifying only the internal parts of the originally imported wall with the right MTL definitions

THEN I imported the object by ROTATING IT APPROPRIATELY in sweethome3d first as a solid to visually check any transparencies on a colored wall.....when, after OK, I imported the same object as a door/window.

RESULT
The object worked but behaved strangely, then looking at it closely I noticed the distance between the exported part of the wall and that of the floor and therefore I repeated the exports to produce 2 separate objects (the wall and the floor). I assembled everything in 2D obtaining a final object. Checking the separate objects I realized that the floor had a thickness of 0...I thought it was my mistake (sweethome doesn't allow thicknesses of 0) and I corrected it to 0.1 (the minimum)
I made the usual corrections and this time I immediately imported as a door/window.

THE RESULT was a door/window object that could only be used to drill holes in walls and whose bottom didn't seem to exist at all.
I then re-imported the object that I had corrected (floor), this time leaving the thickness at 0, then made the correct positioning and recreated what my purpose was.
I redo the import and now the object behaves as it should, that is, it partially pierces the walls with a texturable bottom and sides.
Well I said to myself, done
All I had to do was verify the behavior by changing the thickness of the final object when, while wandering in virtual 3D, I placed myself behind the pre-assembled object on the opposite side to the one used to correct it... AMAZING... the background was totally transparent THEN I move and instead on the opposite side it was textured....
I go to the wall on which I had tried positioning the finished object and the thing repeats itself only when I EXCEED the wall IN DEPTH, that is, the textured object pierces the wall partially only until its depth exceeds (in my case by about 1 cm) the depth of the wall then pierces it and the background (even if textured) becomes transparent. NOT ONLY the same effect is obtained only by using the reverse button on the object itself.
Did I make any mistakes while creating??
I'll send you the link that contains the file with all the tests, they are tests and they will have names in Italian

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8kdo79lnucbqqk..._hole_texturable.rar/file
[Apr 17, 2024, 6:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

I noticed a proto...they are not "texturable wall indentations" but texturable indentations in the walls.
This experiment of mine is aimed at creating only rectangular recesses for now (they were usually present when a French window was replaced with a simple window, above the new window a void remained which could be equipped with a grid or ornament (flowers)).
If I can, I will try to create a SPLAYED object independent of the window/door. My idea would be to use open corner walls in 2D with the same floor area as the current one and then see its behavior.
[Apr 17, 2024, 6:52:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

If I understand you correctly you want to have an indention in a wall that you can texture. You are on the right path but here are some remarks.

Understand that a face only has one side. This means that you can only see it from one side, from the other side there is nothing. When you look at a box from the outside you see the box because the 6 faces (sides) of the box are oriented to the outside. Sometimes when you download an object from another site one or more "holes" seem to appear in the object. It's most likely that those holes have the face point in the wrong direction. You can fix such a thing by using Blender: select the face and choose mesh>normals>flip normals. This flips the face around and shows the correct side.

The back part you created for your inset object is only one face, meaning that you can only see that back part from one side. As you can see in your example a single face "inside" the wall causes the texture to "mix" with the wall texture. (The flickering you see when you move the 3Dview.) This is because the object-back and wall textures are fighting for the same space. Don't do that. Just make the back a little thicker so it's not just a single face. There's really no reason to use a single face because the whole back is inside the wall and you only see the front face of the back part.

I don't know if it was intentional but your object works as it does because it's exported vertical instead of horizontal. This makes the sides of the object the front and back of the 'window'. A regular window must be exported horizontal in the 2Dview. If you would drag your object in the wall it will turn 90°. Because you import as door-or-window the hole is still cut but only as far as the object is inserted in the wall. I'm sure you noticed that and now you know why.
Because you did it this way and placed the object manually the hole in the wall is only as deep as you place the object. With a normal window the hole would be all the way through the wall no matter how thick the window is. Nice trick that other users will appreciate to read about.

I don't know why you used a room and walls to create your frame. You could have just as easily used boxes. I usually create shapes with a nice 45° cut at the ends to match them together in a 90° corner. You will see the difference when you set a wood texture on a thicker frame. Wall sides are horrible to texture.

By-the-way, your room with height 0 you got because there was only one level. In that case the floor thickness is 0 and you can't change it. Add a level below and the floor thickness becomes available and you can set it to the thickness you want.
[Apr 17, 2024, 8:25:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

As always, thanks Keet.
I will try to do as you suggested.
The import with those modes was intentional... I discovered the mode BY CANCEL while exporting for my test the old object in the HATCH+INVISIBLE library to only make indentations in the walls... (I was preparing an electrical system (without the plugin) and I needed to physically make tracks in the walls in which to place the pipes on one level, the wires on another and the walls on another in order to view them simultaneously or separately or view only the finished walls with the relative sockets, the junction boxes etc etc) when re-importing it I rotated it thus obtaining the possibility of sizing the trace without drilling the wall but it was only a trace without the possibility of limiting the window direction except by acting on rotations and dimensions, but it did it. on the contrary, this object does so regardless of the dimensions assigned and has TEXTUREABLE internal walls which allows it to also be made into a purely decorative element and at most a...FLUSH WALL PAINTING.
[Apr 17, 2024, 9:33:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Keet,
I was reading your notes. Is it right to think that if I impose transparency or apply a transparent texture to one of the two faces of a hypothetical background of the same object I will obtain the same effect? That is, the possibility of drilling a wall with the same object or drilling it only partially depending on a depth?
[Apr 17, 2024, 10:19:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

Hi Keet
Keet,
Maybe by trying I found the solution to transform any window object into an object with the same characteristics as the one I created, a simple solution but which seems to work even with complex objects such as my movable shutters.... POSSIBLE?????
I simply imported the movable shutter as a door/window and I INVERTED THE DIMENSIONS, WIDTH AND DEPTH....... try and give me your result.....if it were it would be possible with any door/window object to just drill partially a wall????
[Apr 17, 2024, 11:53:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
upiazzolla@hotmail.com

Italy

NO!!
It certainly doesn't work with movable objects...it deforms them!!! Tomorrow I will try with simple objects, certainly with the one created by me horizontal and transformed into vertical it works great, re-imported it behaved like only a door/window...reversed the data instead like the original horizontal object
[Apr 18, 2024, 12:08:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I was reading your notes. Is it right to think that if I impose transparency or apply a transparent texture to one of the two faces of a hypothetical background of the same object I will obtain the same effect? That is, the possibility of drilling a wall with the same object or drilling it only partially depending on a depth?
Yes. The 'back-side of the back can be transparent (using d 0.0. in the MTL file) but I see no reason why since you can't see it anyway. The front side of the back can be transparent too (again using d 0.0 in the MTL) and the functionality of the object will remain. Then you will see the inside of the wall.
[Apr 18, 2024, 7:26:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Maybe by trying I found the solution to transform any window object into an object with the same characteristics as the one I created, a simple solution but which seems to work even with complex objects such as my movable shutters.... POSSIBLE?????
I simply imported the movable shutter as a door/window and I INVERTED THE DIMENSIONS, WIDTH AND DEPTH....... try and give me your result.....if it were it would be possible with any door/window object to just drill partially a wall????
You can use any window to create an object like you did. But you don't do that by swapping width and depth. You rotate the object vertical in the 2Dview and export, then import again as door-or-window. The rotation swappes the 'technical' sides with the front and back (the thicker dark line you see in the 2Dview when an object is selected). You manually place the object like you did before. Deformations will remain and work as before.

I don't see how an existing window is usefull because it will become a window that looks inside the wall. I can see a use for creating a closet or cabinet that you can sink into the wall with an opening door. Like adding a door to the object you already have. When you open the door you can see the inside of the cabinet. Might look good with glass doors closing the indention.
[Apr 18, 2024, 7:50:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved