Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 326 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
LizardCobra

United States
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How to add walls to a room after it is "completed"

How can I add walls to an existing room? I have pressed the escape key, or closed off a room. Now I need to add additional geometry to the room. How can I insert walls into an existing room? The only way to add new walls that I have found just starts creating a brand new room.
[Jan 27, 2024, 12:00:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sjb007
Advanced Member

Re: How to add walls to a room after it is "completed"

Use the room tool to shape and size the interior floor space. Change to the wall tool, and then double click your room. This will create walls around the perimeter of your room. It will have the default height and thickness as set in preferences. Note that if you change the wall thickness after creating the walls, the walls sides will not meet exactly at the floor boundary. Hope that makes sense.
[Jan 27, 2024, 1:53:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
LizardCobra

United States

My question was about how to add more walls after a "room" has been closed off or considered complete. While drawing, it automatically adds walls until you hit escape. After that, adding a new wall to any existing wall doesn't really join it to the room properly.
A common situation would be accidently hitting Esc too soon, and it closes off with a diagonal wall straight through the room.

I found that the solution to this situation is to first close off the room, if that is not already done. Then select the room outline, right click an existing room boundary, and click "Add point to room." Then you can drag the point to where it needs to be, and add more points as needed.
[Jan 27, 2024, 2:44:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Not sure if I understand correctly, but you could try to split a wall and move the midpoint to the desired spot.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 27, 2024, 6:46:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I suggest you start with walls and not with a room.
Once you have and enclosed space with walls you can easily generate the room/floor in it by selecting the room tool and double-clicking inside the walls. It will fill the space exactly inside the walls and even create half-wall space where doors are inserted in the walls.

Adding walls afterwards don't automatically stick to existing walls because in most cases that is not what you want. But you can easily join two walls together by selecting them and clicking "Join walls" from the context menu.
[Jan 27, 2024, 8:48:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved