Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 669 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
architectech

Sweden
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
No hole in the slab for staircase

Hi: For me, it looks like several things are not working as it is advertised.
Now I created "Level 1" then in "Level 0" I did "Staircases>Stack top."
It is promised that "Sweet Home 3D automatically cuts a hole into the floor above." I made the slab as a box. Well, it did not done that for me, only the rails cut thru. The hole should be for the total floor plan of the staircase. Please, tell me what to do.
[Jan 19, 2024, 8:58:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: No hole in the slab for staircase

TLDR: You probably exported your box/staircase and imported it without checking "Staircase" during the import process. Remove your import and import again. Look carefully at each page of the import wizard and you will see the check box for staircase at the third step. Check it and now your staircase will cut a hole in the floor.

The long answer:

First you have to understand how cutouts work. There are two types of objects that need a cutout: staircases and doors/windows.
Doors and windows from the furniture catalog are 'easy' because they cut automatically if you place them in a wall. Staircases if selected from the furniture catalog should act the same and create a cutout in the floor.

Notice I stated twice "from the furniture catalog". Generally 3D models don't support cutouts and neither does the obj/mtl format mostly used in Sweet Home 3D. So where does the cutout come from?

There are two ways to automatically get a default cutout for doors/windows or staircases.

The first is when you import an individual object. During the import you can check "Door or window" or "Staircase". Checking the "staircase" checkbox will cause Sweet Home 3D to create a default cutouts when the staircase passes through the floor.

The second way is through importing a furniture library where the staircase is listed as a staircase. The creator of the library can customize the cutout for staircases and doors/widows and even set a few other properties for nice fitting of the object.

Most furniture you see in the furniture catalog is imported through a furniture library, a .sh3f file. This is a zip file with multiple 3D models. It also has an extra properties file that holds the properties that are unknown to in obj/mtl file. When you import a furniture library Sweet Home 3D can pickup the extra properties that aren't available when you simply import an individual object.

One thing left: cutouts for staircases ONLY work on floors, not on other objects. The same for doors and windows: the cutouts only work in walls. Don't use a box to create a floor if a staircase has to cut through it but use a room (=floor).

There is a separate tool to create and edit Furniture Libraries: The Furniture Library Editor . If you want to customize the cutout that is the place where you can do it. Creating custom cutout is a study on its own but as an architect you might a little familiar with how that works. Here's a manual about SVG cutouts: https://www.sweethome3d.com/SVGPathMiniManualForSweetHome3D.pdf
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keet at Jan 19, 2024, 9:55:26 PM]
[Jan 19, 2024, 9:51:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
architectech

Sweden

Hi Keet: Thanks for the exhaustingly detailed explanation. As usual, your input is a study object for me…
–I don't know about import/export. I just made a staircase from the "Staircases" item, clicking on the normal left-side SH3D menu, then choosing "Add to home" in the "Furniture" menu. After it I tried also with the "Generate staircase" plugin, with the same result.

As I was reading your post, I thought that perhaps it is also a way, if I would create the slab from several boxes, so that the space for the staircase would be let open. We will see… I will try everything.
[Jan 20, 2024, 6:50:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

I don't want to upset you again.
You're willing to draw boxes, but you don't want to draw rooms.
It's a matter of taste. Tastes are not up for debate.
As Keet said, Emmanuel programming and from my personal experiences, even you never use rooms (and you hate it) probably it is the time to start use it and understand what it is and for what is could be used for.
I'm here to help even it looks like criticism.
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Jan 20, 2024, 9:23:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved