Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 672 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Dark Mode

In the blog for 6.6 (27 July 2021) future support of a dark mode is mentioned. Is there any progress in that direction?

Switching between Sweet Home 3D and Blender painfully shows how much better a dark mode is for your eyes, especially with the current early dark evenings . The interface and 2Dview have a lot of glaring white screen space which would be a lot less straining on the eyes with a dark mode.
[Jan 13, 2024, 8:40:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Kunda

Re: Dark Mode

Indeed! I was wondering about this as well.
[Jan 21, 2024, 1:17:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MantisNebula

I agree. Using this on a 60" TV is rough on my photosensitive eyes.

Also it would be helpful to have a simple way to adjust the font size.
[Feb 5, 2024, 8:41:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

In the preferences you can set a default font. There are fonts that are larger by default so setting such a font should give you a larger font in the userinterface.
[Feb 5, 2024, 6:05:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Kunda

Per further research per Emmanuel:

> If you're able to run Sweet Home 3D from code source, simply change implementation of getBackgroundColor and getForegroundColor in PlanComponent class. Otherwise, this might be difficult.

ref: https://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/vie...95DCE10A9F6EDF64173AC2B00

Relevant ticket:
https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/feature-requests/824/
[Feb 6, 2024, 8:51:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

If you're able to run Sweet Home 3D from code source, simply change implementation of getBackgroundColor and getForegroundColor in PlanComponent class. Otherwise, this might be difficult.
That's not even close to a Dark Mode. Implementing a Dark Mode is basically implementing a theme system and that's not an easy or quick job. I haven't seen a response to my initial information request but I suspect that the first step needed is switching from ancient Swing to JavaFX. I have no idea how easy or difficult this is, the sources I found online differ very much in their options. Looking at the future, switching to JavaFX might not be a step that can be ignored.
[Feb 6, 2024, 9:45:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

Theming is extremely easy to implement in java swing applications, it just requires adding the theme jar to the library path and a parameter to the command line to tell which theme it should use.

It seems that this method doesn't work with the exe launcher (the program freezes), but works fine if SH3D is started through the jar file.

A nice dark theme library can be found in flatlaf. Once you add the jar to the install_dir/lib folder, you can start SH3D from the jar file adding the following option to the command line:

-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.formdev.flatlaf.FlatDarkLaf

Result:

Here you can find the available themes in flatlaf:
https://www.formdev.com/flatlaf/themes/

On the same website you can download a nice theme editor to create your own theme (with real time preview).
[Feb 7, 2024, 8:33:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I should have known somebody already did the hard work, in this case FlatLaf laughing
I read about that project when researching about dark mode but didn't realize it was so easy to use it with Swing.
[Feb 7, 2024, 9:56:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved