Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 465 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Peppyy

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Hexagon buildings roof question.

First off, I am so happy to find this program. I am designing a special use (Unique) building for our non-profit. It is composed of 3 hexagons connected inline with the center one offset. No problems with the layout, scaling, furnishings etc. I am however having an issue creating a roof. I have tried several things, from the red slate roof to the roof generator plugin.

The Generator seems to insist on having 8 sections for a single hexagon.

It is a simple single peak roof, ofset by 1/3 with two different pitches. When I can figure out how to post images I will add the plan and a photo of my cardboard model.

I am guessing I need an image host?

Thanks in advance. I am continuing to read everything with the keywords roof or hexagon.

Oh, I am running Puppy Linux, Fossapup64, so I downloaded the latest version of Sweet Home 3D and simply extracted it to its own partition. Runs great on AMD 6 core with 32gb ram AMD/ATI] RV630 PRO.
----------------------------------------
Who said you can't do it.
I don't listen to Who anymore.
[Dec 30, 2023, 5:14:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Hexagon buildings roof question.

Yes, you need an image host and post the link here in a forum post.
Once it's clear how the roof is supposed to look we can probably help you getting the perfect roof. Most likely it is a different way to draw the room(s) for the roof generator.
[Dec 30, 2023, 8:04:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Lets see if this works. My model https://ibb.co/xMfV6NS My cardboard model https://ibb.co/Mp9ckmn
Not sure if the links will work yet. Please let me know. Thanks!
[Dec 30, 2023, 10:20:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Looks like you have to draw a room by hand. I can't see the far side on the card board model but I think it's a long straight line. Anyway, draw a room as if you are looking at the top of the roof from above. Make the room a little bigger than the outline of the hexagons for overhangs. Make sure to add extra room points at each side where the top of the roof is. It's probably easier if you first rotate all walls so you have horizontal lines to work with. Use that room with the roof generator. (To rotate install the Plugin Manager and use that to install the advanced edit plugin which adds a rotate function for everything selected and some other very useful tools.)

If you can't get it to work upload your .sh3d project file to a host and post the link here. Then I can see what what I can do. Make sure you have something on it that comes close to the roof you want, even if made with multiple objects. This is to have a view from all sides.
Most of my projects involve dodecagons (12-sides instead of 6) so I have some experience with strange corners smile
[Dec 30, 2023, 11:10:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

SH3D file

The roof consists out of three parts, made with 3 temporary walls to guide the roof generator. It's not perfect, but seems to be (or close to) what your cardboard model shows.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 31, 2023, 9:49:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

Thank you both. I will have a go at it later today. I tried adding walls around it, however I didn't think about rooms. I also need to install some posts and a carrier beam across the front to extend the line from the outer 2 hexagons to create a covered area. Here is a link to the dimensions. https://ibb.co/pww68bV
[Dec 31, 2023, 12:32:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

I need to work on familiarizing myself with the roof generator. I have no problems creating rooms and the roof although I am doing it incorrectly. I select all sides and bring the pitch down. Adjust the thickness and create the roof. I then go to modify in furniture editor and adjust the pitch. I cannot lower the roof below 0" elevation when I do it that way. See screenshot. https://ibb.co/kGw7gtN

I am also wondering if there is a simpler way to make a roof or what I am missing.

Thanks again, oh and I am working on your model so I can try and compare the differences. Is there a way to open the roof generator on an existing roof, the one you use to select and modify the faces in the beginning?
[Dec 31, 2023, 5:19:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

You can't move any furniture below elevation 0. What you can do is adjust the elevation of the roof-gen level where the roof is created. That level was created at that height using the default settings in your preferences but there's no problem if you want to change them.
Or you can cut the roof object and paste it to a lower level and then elevate it to the correct height.

Usually the roof generator is the easiest way to create a roof. Since the initial version it has evolved into a very smart and useful tool. But of course there are other ways, those were used before the roof generator was introduced. One is using roof objects like you tried and another is assembling a roof using boxes and triangles.
If you do a bit of math you can use the Generate 3D Shape function on the Tools menu to create the parts of your roof and assemble them into one roof. I had to resort to that option with the roof mentioned in this thread. You will have to edit the object files to get some logical property names for the materials. You can download a tutorial for that here: Changing Material Names and the example files here: Changing Material Names files

One tip before you start any new tries: Select everything in your project and rotate it -30°. If the compass position is important you can change the compass too. After all is finished you can rotate everything back but there's really no need for that. Working with the hexagons in a horizontal line is way easier than in the rotated position.
[Dec 31, 2023, 6:32:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA

The first thing I did was to install the advanced editor and align the building to 90 degrees. I played with a separate model for a while before I created a new one with proper wall heights. https://ibb.co/KszL67G Once I did that I built rooms, one for the front pitch and one for the back. They were larger on the outer edges and centered on the roof-line. I used roof generator setting the elevation lower than the center average height of the wall, made the roof 5-1/2" thick and brought the angles as close to flat as I could and still edit it. My results are pleasing to say the least. https://ibb.co/L92h5YD I then added a texture to make it stand out.

Thanks so much to both of you for all your help. I am sure I will have more questions, I promise will do my research first.
[Dec 31, 2023, 8:42:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved