Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 443 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
mts749

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
in 2D view, an option for a level to display all/some levels below

It would be nice to have a level which displays all (or specific) levels below it regardless of the elevation of those levels.

I would use this feature create a plan view to send to a contractor for a rough estimate. My house has multiple levels on the ground floor due to the terrain on which it was built. For example, the kitchen is 18" above the living room!

In general, this might be useful to others who have a multi-level house with rooms adjacent but not on separate floors (storeys).
[Dec 21, 2023, 2:15:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: in 2D view, an option for a level to display all/some levels below

Since you want to send a plan to a contracter why don't you draw everything on a single level? You could draw vertical dimension lines and add text boxes to mark what areas are elevated and to what extend. Elevations themselves don't show in the 2Dview anyway so why bother? This has also the advantage that you can export the 2Dview to a SVG image and optionally convert that to a jpeg or png for the contracter. The SVG export gives a very sharp image of the 2Dview.
[Dec 21, 2023, 3:39:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mts749

Well, that might work but that would definitely make the 3D view ugly. Transitions between levels would not show since I could no longer have steps between the levels. And one of the big advantages of the 3D view is the ability to walk through the house and see the lines of sight accurately. Doing everything on one level we would lose that.

I guess I could keep 2 versions of the drawings. The multi-layerd one for my use and then copy and paste into a second file where everything is on one level. This seems error prone since I'd have to remember to update the 2D file every time a change was made to the multi-layered version.

As I understand it, SweetHome it is already calculating what to show on a particular level based the highest elevation of a particular item in a level. For example, I have tall trees in my lower garden level which show up in a level whose elevation is many feet above the elevation of the the tree's level. Since this calculation is already being done in SweetHome I thought it might be a relatively simple fix to alter that logic based on a user-defined option. (I say this as one who has significant experience with Java I realize that what appears to be simple may in fact be very difficult smile !)
[Dec 21, 2023, 7:35:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

It’s not complicated and if you’re able to generate a new version of Sweet Home 3D, I can explain you what to change in the program to activate this feature. But sorry, don’t hope for an additional option in the user interface for that.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 21, 2023, 8:24:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mts749

Thanks very much for the offer. Could this be done as a plugin?
[Dec 21, 2023, 10:10:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Change implementation of isViewableAtLevel in PlanComponent class by simply:
return true;

This will draw everything in the plan.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Dec 22, 2023, 1:34:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mts749

Many thanks. I implemented as you suggested and made a minor tweak:

Level selectedLevel = this.home.getSelectedLevel();
if (selectedLevel.getName().equals("All")) {
return true;
}

This way I only have one level that exhibits that behaviour.

I do have one question though. I managed to compile and run SweetHome3D from within Eclipse but was not able to generate an executable jar file to run independently. I'm pretty sure the issue is related to missing libraries. Is there any documentation on how to generate an executable?
[Dec 30, 2023, 4:38:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved