Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 521 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
JonnyD

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile 3D Rendering for large models freezes

I'm using the Mac version and have 30Gb assigned to SW3D. I work on very large, detailed models and cannot use the 'view all levels' feature for 3d view as it freezes or hangs the application entirely.

Is this a limitation because of the size of the models or is there anything I can do to speed things up please?

Thanks smile
[Sep 8, 2023, 10:26:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: 3D Rendering for large models freezes

I suspect it's not freezing but just waiting for the 3D view to finish rendering. I have seen waiting times of 30 minutes with very large and detailed projects. It's because the 3D view rendering commands are stacked meaning that even if you change something a new rendering is executed but the previous rendering is first completed before the next where your change is rendered. Do that a few times and there's a rendering queue that takes a lot of time.
The worst is that even if you close your project the rendering queue remains active in the background until it's finished although there's nowhere to display the results. Fortunately you can often save the project between rederings and then just kill the proces. Remove the 'work' directory from the .eteks directory and you can start fresh.

The new beta version of Sweet Home 3D has the new functionality where collapsing the 3D View stops adding new 3D view renderings. That way you can make multiple changes in your 2D plan and expand the 3D view to get it rendered once without a whole queue of useless previous redenderings to execute.
[Sep 8, 2023, 12:17:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JonnyD

Re: 3D Rendering for large models freezes

Thanks - another reason to be excited for the next version😁

It would be nice if this could be sped up somehow though.
[Sep 8, 2023, 1:12:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved