Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 780 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Fisz

PL
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Object priority when stacking

Hello,
I just wonder is it possible to "prioritize" object when stacking one on another.

Scenario:
I have separate kitchen shelf, and kitchen sink. Of course sink is going deep inside kitchen shelf, but the shelf texture is blocking the sink like on screenshot below:

Is it possible to "prioritize" the sink, so the shelf will not block it?
Unfortunately I cannot use the built-in sink with shelf model, because when I put a wood texture on it, the sink will be wood too :D
[Jun 22, 2023, 7:56:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Object priority when stacking

No, SH3D can't do that.
You will need a specialized 3D program for that kind of operations, like Blender.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jun 22, 2023, 1:33:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Object priority when stacking

Like Hans said Sweethome3D can't do this but with a little creative manipulation it can be done. How easy it is depends on how detailed the cabinet object is constructed. In this case: more detail makes it easier.

-1-
You are really lucky if the top has it's own texture property when you modify the cabinet. You will not need Blender! Make the top invisible and export the cabinet. After import you have your cabinet but without the top. Go to -3-.

-2-
If you are not that lucky you will have to open the cabinet in Blender. If you are lucky the top of the cabinet is a separate group. Select that and delete it.
If the top is not a separate object you will have to manually delete all vectors for the top.
Export as obj. Import this in Sweethome3D you have the same cabinet but without the top.

-3-
Place the sink where you want it in the cabinet.

-4-
Now add resized boxes to fill in a new top around the sink. Make sure you keep the same direction for the boxes (i.e. all front faces point in the same direction). This is so that a new added texture to the boxes follow the same direction. You will probably need 4 boxes: left and right of the sink and front and top of the sink.
Select the cabinet, boxes, and sink and export this to your new cabinet with sink.

-5-
After import your cabinet will have the same texture options as before. The new cabinet top has the original box properties bottom, top, left, right, front, and back. By setting these properties you set the cabinet top.
The sink has the same texture property as before.

You can change the properties for the top if you want. I'll explain that if you decide to try it the way I described. It requires manual editing of the obj and mtl files.

There are other ways, for example creating a new top by using a room and importing the sink as a staircase to create the hole for it. Or you can manually draw a room as a new top. Like I said: creative manipulation laughing
[Jun 22, 2023, 2:15:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved