Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 781 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
otadmin

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Organise furniture

I want to organise the furniture differently. Instead of "kitchen" I want "workshop". Maybe sub-categories to workshop. And I would like to sort the furniture items accordingly, move a table to workshop etc..

Could somebody explain to me how it is done? Do I need an extra plugin? Have read several posts and help but most are old and only describe part of the process.

Am on Linux Mint 21 and SweetHome 3D 7.1.
[Jun 21, 2023, 6:30:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
Re: Organise furniture

1. There is TWO type of furniture: the default (came with SH3D) and downloadable.
2. The furniture, at this moment, have ONLY category not subcategory.
3. Both type could be personalized BUT:
- the default need more attention and explanations. The modifications will be lost when update (reinstall) the SH3D if you don't pay attention.
- the downloadable could be modified with Furniture Library Editor.
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Jun 21, 2023, 7:32:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

This is possible but is a lot of work and has some restrictions. Sub-categories is not possible.

First you need the Furniture Library Editor . With this tool you can organize furniture in one or more libraries. You can also open and manage existing libraries that come from Sweethome3D. One of the options is to set a different category or to set a new category for each object in the library. Read up and see if this is something you can work with.

The biggest disadvantage is that you can no longer just import an updated version of the default libraries because those would not match your custom libraries. The easiest 'middle road' is to open each default library in the editor, select all in a category, and then set the new name you want. Remember: if you download a new version you will have to do this again. You will have to keep a complete administration to check on when you want to get the new objects in an updated default library so you can repeat the changes.

Another option is to create a new custom library and only add those objects you want. Be aware that an object currently in a default library can hold some extra information that is not transferred by just exporting and importing an object like custom staircase cutouts and door/window sashes. You will have to either manually edit the library properties file or do some heavy merging and deleting with the default libraries.

All in all I would say that there's too much effort needed for just a naming problem. You are better of to set the "Furniture catalog view" in preferences to "searchable list". That way, in most cases, any key word attached to the objects will directly guide you to the set of furniture that matches. That function is pretty smart because you can use multiple partial key words like "exter chil" that will show some playground objects from 'Exterior' and 'Child'.

By-the-way, when you import an object directly ("Import furniture" or drag an .obj file in the 2D window) you can set the category in the import dialog. That can also be an until then unknown category thus creating a new category.

I tried to do what you want and gave up because it was too much unproductive work. Instead I kept the existing default libraries and created several custom libraries in which I can do whatever I want. You will have to learn how to manually create custom cutouts, add sashes, and add light sources but you will have to do that anyway if you want to create your own furniture.
[Jun 21, 2023, 7:57:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
otadmin

Thank you, I have understood that. Have created a couple of libraries with downloaded furniture. Played around and it works. Is a lot of work but it works!
However, I am unable to find the furniture file that came with the original sh3D install. Can import my new furniture but not edit the "old one". On my linux mint install there is no .sh3f file.
My intention is to create a "Startup package" for colleagues wanting to start their own orthopaedic workshop. Part of this package should be Sweethome with custom furniture and equipment.
[Jun 22, 2023, 10:23:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

See this thread about default furniture found in furniture.jar file.
This file is some kind of special .sh3f file that you can open and modify with recent versions of the Furniture Library Editor. Once changed, save it under a .sh3f file with the name of your choice and import it in Sweet Home 3D, where they will appear if you removed furniture.jar file.
Keep in mind that updating Sweet Home 3D may reintroduce furniture.jar file and you’ll have to delete it to make appear your modified furniture again.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 22, 2023, 12:16:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
otadmin

Thanks, now I seem to manage the furniture issue.
[Jun 23, 2023, 3:48:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved