Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2555 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
SoapSpoon

DK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
When adjusting wall thickness, make it possible to select in which direction the wall should expand

We have had serious issues with wall thickness in Sweet Home 3D:

First, the good: If you create an entire room from interior dimensions and then double-click the room to add walls, the walls are added, with default thickness, to the OUTSIDE of the room, without impacting the measured room size. Great.

However, if later I want to adjust wall thickness - for example increate it by 10cm - half of the increment (5cm) is put on the inside of the room and the other half (5cm) is put on the outside. Thus, the expanded wall thickness essentially "eats" into the established room dimensions, and the interior dimensions no longer fits the measurement as it is now 5cm shorter than before (and, if there is a neighbouring room, that one is 5cm shorter too).

I get that this can't be automated as SH3D has no idea in which direction to expand the wall, but it should be possible to add an option, when adjusting wall thickness, which could have three options: (A) Expand half on each side, (B) Expand into North/East, (C) Expand into South/West.

(North/South would be for walls going horizontally across the computer screen, East/West for the vertical ones. Maybe it could be phrased better, or even visualized on-screen to avoid confusion).

Ideally there should be something similar for shrinking walls, although I'm not sure what would be smartest there as you obviously don't want gaps between rooms...
[Apr 4, 2023, 4:29:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: When adjusting wall thickness, make it possible to select in which direction the wall should expand

Adding such options would make a mess of the wall options: it adds options rarely used, solving a problem that can be solved in other ways.
If you create a room from the inner dimensions you probably also know the wall dimensions. It's easier to manipulate walls than a room so start with the walls, positioning them so the inner dimensions fit, and then fill in the room.

If you really need to adjust the wall thickness without changing the inner dimensions I suggest you use the options to move a wall after adjusting the thickness. I think it's the AdvancedEdit plugin that offers a menu item for moving objects. If you increased the wall thickness with 10 you move it with 5.
You can also move a wall by changing the X and Y coordinates in the Wall properties window. I you need to move a wall up or down adjust both Y coordinates, for left or right adjust both X coordinates.
[Apr 5, 2023, 10:49:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
Re: When adjusting wall thickness, make it possible to select in which direction the wall should expand

For this purpose I've write this mini tutorial .
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Apr 6, 2023, 6:57:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved