Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3666 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
mderouss

UK
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Trying to understand how to run a locally modified/built SH3D

Hi folk,

I'm not a Java person, much more C/C++, but I've made a tweak to SH3D that might solve a problem I have. I ran the ant build, which appeared to complete without complaint, just by running ant in the directory containing the build.xml file. So I built the default target.

I'm using Linux ( Ubuntu 20.04 ), and I can run the 'normal' distribution of SH3D just fine, so long as I use the SweetHome3D-Java3D-1_5_2 variant. But if I just run that script after doing the default build, it complains quite reasonably that there is no 'runtime' directory. It's true, there isn't. But it's there in the normal distribution.

So I tried running the linux64Installer target. This complained about not having SweetHome3D-6.6-src/jre1.8.0_202 .

So what should I do to properly set up a build environment that will generate a runnable thing ? Is this documented somewhere ? The README notes a requirement for OpenJDK >= 5. I get this for my java version :

mark@z800:~/Projects/SH3D/SweetHome3D-6.6-src$ java --version
openjdk 11.0.11 2021-04-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.20.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.20.04, mixed mode, sharing)

Thanks,
Mark
[Aug 23, 2021, 5:08:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Trying to understand how to run a locally modified/built SH3D

The SweetHome3D-version.jar file generated by the default Ant target is a JAR Executable file that can be run with a command like:
java -jar /path/to/SweetHome3D-version.jar

If you want to run it with the same options as SweetHome3D-Java3D-1_5_2, you should add the option -Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.version=1.5.2 after java command, i.e.
java -Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.j3d.version=1.5.2 -jar /path/to/SweetHome3D-version.jar

----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Aug 23, 2021, 6:18:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mderouss

UK
smile Re: Trying to understand how to run a locally modified/built SH3D

Great, that does work. I was able to use a workaround also - just copying the SweetHome3D-6.6-src/install/linux/x64/SweetHome3D-6.6/lib/ directory to the lib directory in a 'normal' install allows me to test changes.

My changes, though probably very ugly code from a Java perspective, do seem to have the intended effect. I'll play with the change for a few weeks, do some tweaking, and see if I think it's worth anything from a user perspective ( this is the 'make search return whole word matches' thing that I talked about in another thread ). If it might be, I'll propose it ( as a feature ).

Thanks,
Mark
[Aug 23, 2021, 6:45:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved