Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 58
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 181767 times and has 57 replies Next Thread
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Terrain Generator plug-in

It's outside of the capabilities of Sweet Home 3D and I'm investigating the possibilities too. Mainly because the size of the terrain I want to create is many times bigger than the Terrain Editor can handle.
Here are some links to start your research:
https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/creating...es-with-webgl--cms-24539t
https://polycount.com/discussion/88933/how-to-make-terrains-for-games
https://touchterrain.geol.iastate.edu/
To create a height map: https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/
The biggest problem is not creating the terrain but to create a good looking texture. The easiest way is to heightmap an existing terrain and start with a screenshot for editing in GIMP.
Warning: it's a LOT of work.
[Aug 24, 2023, 1:30:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

You may want to read this thread...

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Aug 24, 2023, 2:04:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Daniels118
Advanced Member

Italy

This could be of some interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EV1elNFNSM
Once you have done, just export it in OBJ format and import it in SweetHome3D.

There is this too: https://touchterrain.geol.iastate.edu/
It allows to export to OBJ format, but SH3D fails to open it, maybe it's just matter of adjusting some lines in the file (missing material?).
[Aug 24, 2023, 2:13:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

It allows to export to OBJ format, but SH3D fails to open it, maybe it's just matter of adjusting some lines in the file (missing material?).
No, you have to fix the number format but there seems to something else wrong too. I haven't figured it out yet.

Edit: Correction, just remove all comma's and you can import it in Sweet Home 3D. I don't remember where I encountered the wrong number format.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keet at Aug 24, 2023, 3:01:43 PM]
[Aug 24, 2023, 2:27:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Concerning a terrain created with touchterrain:
Sweet Home 3D doesn't allow a size beyond 100000cm (1km). For a sizable terrain that is of course insufficient but there is a trick to circumvent this: After import save and close the project. Now edit the Home.xml file where you can increase the size. I managed to get a terrain of 100kmx100km by increasing every size of the terrain object.

> The 3Dview might have a few problems (black background when you zoom out).
> Export and import from Sweet Home 3D will reduce the obj file size significantly without loosing the increased size.
> Strangely, that same export/import increases the reported model size in Sweet Home 3D
> The 2Dview becomes a little useless because you can't zoom out far enough to see the whole terrain after you increased the size.
> Resizing will make parts a little blocky so first import the model in blender to smooth it.
> If you need a terrain just a little over the 1km limit this method is very useful. Maybe up to 5kmx5km.

I abandoned this type of terrain because I don't necessarily need the terrain in Sweet Home 3D itself. I'm investigating html terrains as used in web-games and will try to add multiple Sweet Home 3D projects to that terrain.
[Aug 24, 2023, 3:30:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
cactuskid02

USA

I am trying to replicate my home property to plan out my home modifications. Honestly, this idea worked great. Replicated the slope and direction perfect. My land drops 16' over 200' (front to back). I look down on the top of my RV from the road, it is that drastic. Doing this any other way was a pain in the backside.

[Aug 24, 2023, 3:47:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JayOH

UK

A slope angle would be very useful. Or have I missed it?
[Feb 27, 2024, 6:23:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

You can't enter a slope angle but you can combine the 'Row modification' with the 'Influence radius' to get different angles.

For those searching for a terrain generator that also creates a texture and is usable for large terrains: https://prof-yaffle.itch.io/terrain-generator.

The obj/mtl export imports perfectly in Sweet Home 3D although it's very small when imported. Just increase its size a thousand times for a great terrain. It also has options for water and sky. And most amazingly it includes a good manual!
Available for Linux, Windows, OSX.
(And C#/Unity source code is also available.)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keet at Feb 28, 2024, 7:08:30 AM]
[Feb 27, 2024, 7:39:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved