Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 24
Posts: 24   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14125 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Multiplier plugin

I see some non-consistent behaviour (if that's what it is)
- Using the Linear Method the app adds the number of repetitions, groups them, with an offset as specified, so you end up with 1+13 items, regularly spaced
- Using the Curved Method with 13 repetitions and standard settings, you end up with a group of 13, that starts ON TOP of the original.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 8, 2023, 10:31:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

I was sure I've mentioned somewhere:
The multiply number NOT include the original piece(s).
So, on both methods, you have to have on plan 1(the original) + a group of inserted numbers of pieces(only those which can be grouped).
For the curved method try to move the original out side the curve,
OR
verify in the furniture list if the original is grouped with the multiplied items.
I know it doesn't but who knows??
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Dec 8, 2023, 11:53:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I didn't explain myself well, I think.

In Linear mode, the copies are grouped and shifted one step away from the original.
In Curved mode, the copies are grouped and start on top of the original.
In my view this behaviour should be the same in both modes.

H
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 8, 2023, 1:53:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Probably I'm too dump to understand.
I've verified again:
-In linear mod the pieces are positioned on X,Y,Z in respect with the selected piece.
-In curved mod the pieces are positioned accordingly with the curve parameters and the start angle value.
In this last case only the selected piece elevation count for the rest of the pieces.
Anyway, you could post some pictures with the plugin settings, the result problems and eventually a demo file.
Could help to understand the problem and fix it.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
[Dec 8, 2023, 3:34:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

Strange things happening with the Multiplier plugin.

Single object: multiply several times. OK.
Ctrl-Z to remove and try again with different parameters: OK
Delete the multiplied group: OK

multiple objects: multiply several times. OK.
Ctrl-Z to remove and try again with different parameters: OK
Delete the generated multiple objects: OK

Now try the same with a group of objects:
Group multiply: OK. (a group with groups is generated)
Ctrl-Z: generated groups are removed from the furniture list but remain in the 3Dview.
Delete: same, generated groups are removed from the furniture list but remain in the 3Dview.
Even weirder: A generated group of groups disappears when you ungroup them! And of course it remains in the 3Dview.

You have to restart Sweet Home 3D to get a correct 3Dview again without the removed multiplied groups.

It looks like the problem is related to multiplying a group instead of a single object or not-grouped multiple objects.
[Jan 18, 2024, 12:01:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

Thanks for testing and report it. I will try to reproduce it as you've explain.
I've never test it in such way but now is the time to do it.
I suspect it is my fault.
I use a temporary group (with the name Group-T) for all the selected furniture. After move it in the desire position I've ungrouping it.
Finally I grouping all furniture as Group-M.
Probably I need to find an other solution.
I'm open to any suggestions.
Anyway it need also some improvements and corrections in other parts.
[Jan 18, 2024, 7:01:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

I did some more testing and it's getting stranger.

I multiplied a simple group of 5 boxes 5 times. The resulting M-group now contains 25 individual boxes AND 5 groups of 5 boxes.

I can select one of the individual boxes in the M-group by clicking in the furniture list but I can not click in one of the generated groups. Trying to click a box in a group in the M-group selects the group, not the individual box.
It's as if the group is empty but still lists 5 boxes. I suspect that is the basis for the problem. Either make sure the boxes remain in a group or don't multiply the groups but only the objects in it.

It still gets weirder :D
When I move the M-group in the 2Dview it looks like a copy of the M-group jumps all over the 3Dview while the original M-group remains displayed in the 3Dview. You can no longer select it so I assume that the display is no longer connected to an actual group/object.
Worse, at some point I lost all levels except the current one.

By-the-way, if you don't group in an M-group the problem is more or less the same: multiple individual objects and multiple generated groups. Now you can click on a box in a generated group: it will select the individual box that is supposed to be in that group :D

There are two possible ways to solve this:
1. Make sure to first ungroup until you only have individual objects in the selection.
2. Try to really multiply with groups where the resulting M-group contains multiplied groups.

@1: This is a quick fix that should be easy and should be in a fixed version very soon because my testing caused lost levels and the 3Dview gets messed up. (The levels returned after quit without save and reopening.) Make sure you also check and ungroup nested groups until you only have individual objects in the selection.

@2. I have no idea if this is easy or difficult. If groups are handled properly like groups then all of the other problems will probably be solved. But that's different from how you now handle multiplying. It gets more complicated if the user selects a few single objects AND a group AND a group with other groups in it.

When you start testing yourself also try to cut the boxes that are supposed to be in a group: The boxes are cut but the 'empty' group you want to past into also disappears. Somewhere a little of the parent-child relation of group and boxes is still there.

I think the problem lies in the connection between the actual objects and the display in both the 2Dview and the 3Dview, and of course the furniture list. I can't reproduce it but after some moving I selected a box in the M-group and it showed an outline in the 2Dview where nothing was. The outline still represented an object and I could modify furniture and rotate. But of course there was nothing to see because the object didn't show in the 2Dview anyway, just the selection outline. I think that is where I lost the levels.
The solution is probably making sure the objects that belong in a group really are stored in that group OR don't support groups at all.
[Jan 18, 2024, 9:05:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@Keet
You've right! I've test it and I can seen the bad results.
More than what you already observe I've seen more objects than I want when multiply groups.
In the last Group-M it need to have ONLY others 5 Group-M but I have also another set of ungrouped items for every group.
That's not good.
I've also receive a lot of errors in the console.
I will se what I can do.
Until than a workaround:
After undo and some ghost objects remain in 3D, try to minimize the 3D and restore it back (use the small arrows).
The ghosts will disappear. It's a temporally solution.
[Jan 19, 2024, 8:10:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

New version 2.1

-fix a bug (I hope) when it work with groups;
-modify the UI to look better on macOS;

TODO To improve the calculations for the touched furniture.
In some circumstances could took even 10 seconds to have the results.

Also on SourceForge .
[Jan 21, 2024, 12:57:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands

A quick test shows it's working perfectly fine now with groups, groups in a group, single object, AND a selection of all those at the same time.
Very good work, and you managed to fix it fast. Thank you!
[Jan 21, 2024, 1:35:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 24   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved