USA
Joined: Mar 25, 2015
Post Count: 153
Status:
Offline
Re: Xeon 8core or 2x XEON 6core CPU - which one ist faster?
with the "Create photo with renderer" plugin the rendering uses smaller tiles, this means the processor load does not drop after each completed part of the pictures I have a time of 1:48min
That's really interesting. With my slow machine and XP, the "Create photo" plugin appears to render more slowly than the default renderer with larger buckets. Admittedly, it's been a while since I compared them, and my timing of the default renderer may have been a bit haphazard. Or it may be that in faster or multi-multicore machines, swapping buckets in and out of memory is more of a bottleneck than the actual processing.
For curiosity's sake, are you running it with or without hyperthreading?
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
Post Count: 13
Status:
Offline
Re: Xeon 8core or 2x XEON 6core CPU - which one ist faster?
It runs with hyperthreading.
Is there a possibility to change the size of the tiles when rendering a videofile? It looks like that they are really large, because the second CPU is idling half of the time. This could be a massive drop in time, if the tiles are smaller.
Netherlands
Joined: Sep 26, 2009
Post Count: 4029
Status:
Offline
Re: Xeon 8core or 2x XEON 6core CPU - which one ist faster?
I'm using Ubuntu and have System Monitor open quite often. That program shows me that all cores are being used all of the time, regardless of the size of the tiles.
Joined: Jul 24, 2016
Post Count: 13
Status:
Offline
Re: Xeon 8core or 2x XEON 6core CPU - which one ist faster?
Okay, thanks. The benchmarks I have seen so far showed no real differences between Windows and Linux with sunflow rendering, but I think nobody has tested this with a 2 cpu setup. I'll check this.