Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3005 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Stairway Holes

I was experimenting tonight with making holes between floors to accommodate custom stairways as regular (non-stair) objects. I can modify the room shape to open a stairwell hole but then the upper level's ceiling of course is also open. I can import a box shape as stairs and make invisible. But you have to over extend past walls or else the floor texture is between the upper floor and lower ceiling. With the invisible box past the inner wall I can add a faux "box" wall to cover it up. The bad thing is the upper floorplan doesn't show the stairs opening. The cleanest approach would be to modify the room shape and add a faux ceiling box so you don't see the sky. I know these 2 methods are unconventional. Any ideas or workarounds? Just using a custom staircase with 90 degree turns at each end and imported as stairs has it's own problems in my case, since the top part of the stairs angled turn overlaps a kitchen wall and bottom as a 90 degree landing riser onto the living room.
----------------------------------------
Steve N Mavronis - Retired PC Tech
[Feb 13, 2021, 2:08:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA
Re: Stairway Holes

Well using invisible stairwell boxes I have holes through all 3 levels in my home. Now I can work on creating 2 sets of custom regular OBJ model staircases. I have the "holes" set back a little past the walls on purpose. I'll add the upper level inside wall between the floor gap which will meet the hallway stair edge railing. The vertical floor texture will be hidden. I hope the staircases will show in the 2D plan. Right now the upper floor 2D view doesn't show any opening, just the 3D view does.

[Feb 13, 2021, 6:53:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Not sure why you need the box's, from your images the "cut outs" could have been made as the shape of the floor, then the staircase you make could be imported as a movable item. Still best i think to modify your stair to create the correct hole.
From another of your posts i thought you needed something like this

This can be found HERE
[Feb 13, 2021, 8:13:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Trying to avoid having to use SVG. As i said the upper stairs overlaps the kitchen below, contained in a soffit. The stairs both over-cut and undercut rooms and walls. Both ends also turn 90 degrees inward. Also with the stairs against walls on the sides, I don't want to see floor textures where it touches walls.
[Feb 13, 2021, 1:36:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

[Feb 13, 2021, 1:52:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snmavronis
Advanced Member

USA

Also maybe it’s my experience dealing with 3D editing using subtractive BSP based game level editors. In those you build your basic level shapes and insert your models into the spaces you make. Old habits die hard I guess LOL.
[Feb 13, 2021, 4:00:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved