Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 26
Posts: 26   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22552 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Off the beating track

Thanks Cec for this nice story and sharing your tips smile
I was lucky to visit Norway and Denmark, and preferred Norway too, even if you gave a nice chance to Denmark with this Damestenen story!
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 20, 2019, 5:36:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@ Puybaret
There used to be a union, as you probably know, between Denmark and Norway. What you might not know, is that Denmark plundered the Norwegian silver mines for 300 years during the union, and that most of Copenhagen's grandiose and monumental architecture comes from shoplifting Norwegian silver and shipping it to the Danish monarch, leaving Norway with nearly empty silver mines when they, due to the Danish king Frederik VI's support to Napoleon during the Napoleon wars, lost Norway to Sweden in 1814. To day it's obvious that Denmark being on the loosing side, was the best thing that could happen to Norway.
The Swedes proved unable to see the value of keeping control of Norway, just like they, seventy five years later, failed to see the value of a deal that would have granted them nearly five hundred billion Euros!

Imagine what Copenhagen would had looked like today, had Denmark been in control of Norways enormous oil reserves.

I love being Danish and I love living in Denmark, but to be honest: My heart belongs to Norway.

Cec
[Oct 26, 2019, 9:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Project 2
An old Danish House.

by inspiration.

My paternal great grandmother was Dutch. My paternal grandmother was half Dutch, half Danish. She married my grandfather, who was German. So I have inherited a lot of old photographs and paintings of both Dutch, German and Danish origin.
My great grandmother on my mothers side, was half Spanish and half Norwegian. They parented my grandfather, who was born in Bergen. He married my grandmother, who was from rural Norway. So, in addition to a wild mixture of genes, I have also inherited several photographs from both Spain and Norway.
And what strikes me, when comparing all these photographs, is the difference in architecture, especially when it comes to the roofs of rural houses.
Spanish and Norwegian roofs are even and have straight angles, while Dutch, German and Danish houses, have roofs that are are curved and uneven.
Why?
I don’t know. Maybe it has to do with the difference in landscape?
In the cities, thou, there are no such significant differences in the architecture.

Inspired by these images, I want to create a house, like a summer house, an old house that is slightly skewed and damaged by ground subsidence.
(It proved a bit harder than I had expected.)

I start with sketching a roof profile and making an extrusion, using Verto Studio 3D .

(Verto studio 3D ( https://vertostudio.com) is a free program, just like SH3D, which is very easy to use, and in my opinion is the perfect partner to SH3D for anyone who want to create 3D models or edit existing models.
And the text coordinate editor… I couldn’t make my illustrations without it!)

After making the roof, I turn to Photoshop for the end walls. The roof profile is used to get the right shape for the top of the wall.
Cut-outs for windows is done here. There’s no going back, so once it’s done, that’s how it will be:

Then I join the elements in SH3D, and make a group:

If I plan to have a cellar, I will leave room for it by defining my ground level at +300 cm.
This is done to avoid the cut-out problems that occur when you place objects on levels with negative elevation.

For this project I want a cellar, so my ground level is defined at +300 cm.
I end up using ten levels for the whole project:

(I had planned to build my house from 3D elements, and not use the perfectly precise and flawless surfaces produced by SH3D.
But after struggling with creating seamless joints on the outer walls, I created the cellar by drawing the walls with SH3D. )

OK, so the house now looks more or less like I planned it.
I will create a grassy ground for it to sit on, and spread some elements around outside, and add some furniture inside, so it looks like someone is living there.

It’s time for a few test renderings:

Hm, I need to put some lights at the entrance – and get rid of the flying saucer.
I will place my favourite Landy in front of the house ( a car you absolutely don’t buy if you’re living in Copenhagen!).
Then I can envy the people living here.

That’s better.
The next step is to create the surroundings.

Create a well…
and recognise that the autumn is here.

I like it.

Time to go inside:

Entrance:

View from the entrance:

Breakfast, lunch and dinner table.

A sort of kitchen

The mezzanine, where the bed is.

A look at the cellar

Pray more – worry less…

…or just watch TV, as the daylight is fading.

The day is done.
A quick look to see that everything is quiet and safe.

No one has stolen the car.
Yet…

Next project: A modern summer house.

Cec
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Oct 27, 2019, 3:09:45 PM]
[Oct 27, 2019, 3:05:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Nice lighting effects and decrepit walls!
EnkoNyito
[Oct 27, 2019, 4:39:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Agree with enkonyito!

I have two questions:
On the "a sort of kitchen"-image, there's a bright red light on the cooktop. I would very much like to know how you made that. It's exactly what I need to make my equipment look nice.

The image "view from entrance" has some very nice glowing lightbulbs.
Care to share the secret?

Xiste
[Oct 29, 2019, 4:11:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

On the "a sort of kitchen"-image, there's a bright red light on the cooktop.
The image "view from entrance" has some very nice glowing lightbulbs.

The fake bulbs experiment needs some more work. The secret is in the texture.

For the cooktop, you will need to locate and download enkonyito's sphere lights. I was not able to find the link, but I know it's somewhere on the forum.
If you can't find it, just copy the sphere light to your project.

Bulbs&CookTop.sh3d

Cec
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Oct 30, 2019, 9:19:15 PM]
[Oct 30, 2019, 9:18:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Cool!
I didn't find any sphere lights, but I found many other interesting details.
Thanks a lot!

Xiste
[Oct 31, 2019, 8:30:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Cec, the renderings of this Danish house have a very nice atmosphere.
Sometimes, I want to program a roof plug-in but your comment about the large variety of roofs makes me wonder if it would worth it...

Xiste, maybe the thread #8206 will give you some more ideas for lights.
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 31, 2019, 11:32:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

@Puybaret
I want to program a roof plug-in but your comment about the large variety of roofs makes me wonder if it would worth it...

YES, it worth.
At least for very common houses.
Just do it and we'll perfect it.
Anyway it's a missing tool.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Nov 1, 2019, 4:55:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK

Beautiful images yet again Cec, lighting and textures combine to create an excellent atmosphere to them. Especially liked the tile effect behind the wood burner and the "lack" of tiles behind the towel rail, very nice touch. smile
[Nov 3, 2019, 10:19:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 26   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved