Blog

Index  | Recent Threads  | List Attachments  | Search
 Welcome Guest  |  Register  |  Login
Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 173
Posts: 173   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 410831 times and has 172 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in

I noticed a similar difference on my MacBook Pro: 25 s with SunFlow rendering engine vs 70 s with YafaRay engine. Maybe it's because of some compilation options of YafaRay, but it's still weird because it depends on the rendered scene.

Enko, the shadow of transparent objects seem to be more accurate with Yafaray, but I wonder what could make the object color change... Could you share your simple scene, please?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 27, 2020, 2:57:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Enko, the shadow of transparent objects seem to be more accurate with Yafaray, but I wonder what could make the object color change... Could you share your simple scene, please?
Emmanuel, it is mainly the color difference of transparent textures that I was referring to.
Here's the test file.
Attachment transparent texture test.sh3d (138459 bytes) (Download count: 826)

EnkoNyito
[Feb 28, 2020, 2:39:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Andreas1234

Sverige

This did not happen before but now I can't take images with YafaRay V1.

It used to outperform the "stock" engine but now it does not work anymore, the stock works fine, but slow.
Is there some file size limit that makes YafaRay stop working?
I was creating level 1 and added some furniture and lights then tried to do a new image and it stopped working.

My file is 187 MB normal, and ~107 compressed.
[Mar 4, 2020, 11:21:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

Emmanuel, do you plan to implement caustic photons for direct lighting in a future version?
EnkoNyito
[Mar 8, 2020, 10:38:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

Here is my test:

Original yarafay

Direct lighting + AO + Cphotons

SH3D yarafay

wink
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Mar 9, 2020, 4:34:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

I noticed a similar difference on my MacBook Pro: 25 s with SunFlow rendering engine vs 70 s with YafaRay engine. Maybe it's because of some compilation options of YafaRay, but it's still weird because it depends on the rendered scene.
I had my father try this on his PC. No problems. It renders fast and flawless in a second.
Copying the project to my Macbook, and got about the same results as you.
I have not been able to reproduce the striped texture issue.

YafaRay is using a LONG time to load and calculate larger project before it starts rendering.

I have noticed two issues:

1) When you stop a YafaRay render in progress, and immediately start a new one, SH3D is often crashing.
I haven’t experienced SH3D crashing for some years now, so I have become a bit careless with my saving procedures. Autosave at 15 mins is now checked :)

2) After adding a new object to a large project, SH3D sometimes shuts down when YafaRay starts rendering. It happens exactly when the actual rendering starts. The project is no longer possible to render with YafaRay, even after a computer restart. Removing the added object has no influence. Select all on all levels and copy to a new project solves the problem though. But of course that’s a PITA. All levels are lost.
Sunflow has no problems.
( I can send you a demo if you like)

Question: SH3D memory use is slowly increasing during work. A 1G project is eventually occupying more than 80Gb of memory. Restarting SH3D brings the memory use back down to about 8Gb. Is it the undo files or the renderer that causes this, and is there a way to reset the memory without restarting SH3D? Restarting can be a long process with big projects...

Here is my first real YafaRay test:

How much is Blender, and how much is YafaRay?

After testing YafaRay on the Alps hotel demo I was most impressed by the rendering speed.
My overall impression was that YafaRay was a good choice.
I had some trouble getting my lighting right, but the quality of the deliveries matched Sunflow quite well.
I think testing YafaRay on SH3D demo projects will give good answers for a majority of the users.

Then the YafaRay v1 was released.
before I had time to test it I hurt my hand in a freak accident, and ended up with my arm in a sling.
Unable to work, I had plenty of time to browse the web for YafaRay articles, and to have a closer look at the impressive YafaRay Gallery.
I ended up with a question in my head: “Is it Blender creating these wonderful renderings, or can the same quality be obtained from SH3D?”

Well, my hand got better – good enough to get some work done – so I started searching an answer to my question.

I have used SH3D for eight years now during which I have gathered some experience in texturing and lighting, and I have consequently developed a set of habits – habits that have speeded up my workflow and enabled me to construct and set lights on quite complicated scenes within a reasonably short time. I think I can safely say that I know a lot about what works and what doesn’t for the SH3D / Sunflow -combo.
Not so for the SH3D / YafaRay combination.

I decided to use Enko’s PVR 1.9, since I wanted to use a project that included panel lights.

Here’s an overview shot.

Original size image is HERE

I can really see how bad my rug texture is, and the whole composition is structureless and lacks depth. And the colours are all wrong.

A closer shot.

This reveals that using Trimble models from the warehouse ( the lower cabin and the drawers) is a lazy shortcut I should have learned to never turn to.
Most Trimble models are not compatible with SH3D.

Okay, so my first real test renderings were not especially successful, to put it mildly. The colours were all wrong, and the lighting looked horrible.
Surfaces that would normally look shiny, turned out completely matt.

It took some time to get under the skin of YafaRay.
The first thing I noticed was that YafaRay is quite merciless: Garbage in = Garbage out.
I started to consider my habits. What works with one renderer doesn’t necessarily work with another.
Maybe I should create something completely new, look for inspiration, and design a new project from scratch – new models, new textures.
I decided to get rid of all my old lighting habits and go back to basics:
One light source at the time: adjust intensity, adjust colours, adjust size and placement. See what works.
YafaRay treats light and colour a bit differently than Sunflow.

The Fritz-project.

Living room 1: ( Mitchel | Glossy)

Immediate observation:
YafaRay is NOT fast!
I’m more impressed with the quality than with the speed.
YafaRay returns the value of high-poly models and high-res textures a lot better than Sunflow.

Living room 2 (Gauss | Glossy)

Living room 2 another angle – different light ( Lanczos | Glossy)

The question rises again: Is it Blender, or is it YafaRay that creates the high quality images shown at the YafaRay Gallery?
So far I’m inclined to think it’s a combination.
I'm struggling with getting the light right.
Of course i realise that I’m not able to utilise the SH3D / YafaRay combo to the max after just a few days work, but I have a feeling that a lot is depending on the advanced settings and light options provided by Blender.

Here are some more images.

Dark kitchen

Kitchen - another angle.

Kitchen - breakfast

Kitchen - a close-up on different things.

I obviously have to work on my glass settings. Settings that works well with Sunflow definitely need some tweaking when YafaRay goes to work. The whisky look watered down, and my ice cubes are barely visible. And who can really spot that my meticulously constructed Dupont lighter is really a lighter at all?

For my use, YafaRay is not faster than Sunflow, sometimes quite the opposite, but it is really producing some nice images.
I will absolutely stick with YafaRay from now on.

And if Enko is reading this: The PVR 1.9 combination renderer is a perfect tool! I use the faster Sunflow option for quick previews of sunlight and shadows directions during construction (Sunflow will normally render me a preview faster than YafaRay can finish the preloading ), and then I use YafaRay for artificial lighting and final rendering.

Most of these images are rendered with in a higher resolution than can be displayed here. YafaRay’s qualities become more evident when the resolution is increased, but so does the rendering time also. Five to eight hours for 6860 px, about one hour for 3440 px. Some of these images are rendered at 2560 px.
The original full size renderings can be downloaded HERE

Comments and questions are of course welcome.

Cec
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Mar 10, 2020, 2:20:59 PM]
[Mar 10, 2020, 2:13:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

After adding a new object to a large project, SH3D sometimes shuts down when YafaRay starts rendering

I noticed the same, and it seems to be occurring quite randomly. And once it's happened you're in stuck! No more Yafaray possible.

Love your renderings! People should see how well Yafaray is working. You should have posted them in the gallery.

Yafaray is undeniably the better renderer, but we need to get this problem fixed.

Xiste
[Mar 22, 2020, 7:21:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gian1

Greetings. YafaRay engine doesn't start for me as the process is halted shortly after the throbber (busy circle) is displayed in the rendering window. How may I fix this?

Also, how may I carry out renderings with this engine and change rendering settings from the command prompt (i.e. in headless mode)?
[Apr 14, 2020, 3:04:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@Puybaret
I'm happy to present you the YafaRay Rendering plug-in (version 1.0 - 24 MB) able to render images with Yafaray engine, thanks to the new Tools > Create photo with YafaRay menu item.
It's able to run under Windows 32 / 64 bit, macOS 64 bit and Linux 32 / 64 bit. Spherical lens is missing and will be hopefully implemented in a future version.

I assume that this version of the plug-in uses the source code of YafaRay v3.3.0 (2017-08-22).

As this rendering engine is constantly evolving and a new version YafaRay v3.4.1 (2020-04-08) is available, will there be a new version of the plug-in each time?
EnkoNyito
[Apr 27, 2020, 10:28:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@Ceciliabr
I ended up with a question in my head: “Is it Blender creating these wonderful renderings, or can the same quality be obtained from SH3D?”
The question rises again: Is it Blender, or is it YafaRay that creates the high quality images shown at the YafaRay Gallery?
Of course i realise that I’m not able to utilise the SH3D / YafaRay combo to the max after just a few days work, but I have a feeling that a lot is depending on the advanced settings and light options provided by Blender.

YafaRay is mainly designed to work with v2.7x versions of Blender at the moment and take full advantage of the features offered by it.
Each scene (point of view) often has a specific setting because the anti-aliasing samples are also a multiplication factor (detailed information).

And if Enko is reading this: The PVR 1.9 combination renderer is a perfect tool! I use the faster Sunflow option for quick previews of sunlight and shadows directions during construction (Sunflow will normally render me a preview faster than YafaRay can finish the preloading ), and then I use YafaRay for artificial lighting and final rendering.

Thanks for the compliment! I just contributed to the immense work provided by Emmanuel to create the YafaRay plug-in.
After further testing, I plan to increase the maximum value of the anti-aliasing samples to match level 5 of SunFlow (1024 samples per pixel).
EnkoNyito
[Apr 27, 2020, 11:12:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 173   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved