Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 173
Posts: 173   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 410137 times and has 172 replies Next Thread
GnU

Spain
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in

Test version 1.0 Beta 3
Instability bug on Windows 10 64-bit fixed!

By varying the size of the tiles, the YafaRay rendering is quite stable.

For the same size of tile/bucket, YafaRay is a little faster than Sunflow.

The beta 3 fix the crashes, you are right. Congratulations!
[Sep 3, 2019, 1:33:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@enkonyito

For the same size of tile/bucket, YafaRay is a little faster than Sunflow.

Any comment about the file size and quality of the rendered files?

C
[Sep 3, 2019, 9:07:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

A few further comparisons.

Image 1 = Demo house #7 from the gallery
- Renders made under Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D v6.2 with 2 GB of memory
- Image size 1200x900 pixels
- The screenshot is made with three renders next to each other, zoomed in to approx 240%

L - Enko v1.8 - filesize 2.2 MB - 4:50 min - note the speckling
M - Yafa v1.3 - filesize 1.8 MB - 2:19 min - best image?
R - SH3D v6.2 - filesize 1.8 MB - 4:06 min - shiny table top

Image 1 = Demo room from Cecilia
- Renders made under Ubuntu 18.04, SH3D v6.2 with 2 GB of memory
- Image size 1200x900 pixels
- The screenshot is made with three renders next to each other, zoomed in to approx 240%

L - Enko v1.8 - filesize 2.1 MB - 0:31 min - good image
M - Yafa v1.3 - filesize 2.0 MB - 0:27 min - ugly chair textures, best windows
R - SH3D v6.2 - filesize 1.8 MB - 0:27 min - best image?

For Enko's plugin standard settings were used.

Hans
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Sep 4, 2019, 10:15:20 AM]
[Sep 4, 2019, 9:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@Ceciliabr
Any comment about the file size and quality of the rendered files?

This is a test file (SimpleRoom.sh3d) created by Puybaret.
I modified this one by moving the virtual visitor to see the whole room and used levels as a layer to choose between an empty room or furnished.
Quality 4 of YafaRay is different from Sunflow because each rendering engine has its own specificities.

This may not be very telling, but Emmanuel's feat is to have re-used the SH3D source files made for Sunflow to integrate YafaRay and keep the same presentation of the photo panel.

Some editable basic settings might be accessible through a future option of this plug-in or a new plug-in.

Enko
EnkoNyito
[Sep 5, 2019, 1:47:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@hansmex

For Enko's plugin standard settings were used.
Which accounts for the fireflies ( speckles) on the Demo House rendering.

Since you are comparing quality, here are some OK settings for rendering this type of scene with PVR:

The beauty (and strength) of Enko’s plugin “Advanced settings of photo rendering” , is that we can tweak it to give us the best result for any type of scene.

M - Yafa v1.3 - filesize 2.0 MB - 0:27 min - ugly chair textures, best windows

The “ugly chair textures” is on me.
YafaRay is probably a bit more sensitive than Sunflow, and I have been sloppy and not bothered to split quads and set the texture coordinates properly.I have fixed that , and YafaRay now renders the chairs perfectly fine.

I have made some new renderings, now using the beta-3 version of YafaRay.
The speed has increased.
YafaRay seems to be loading projects a lot faster now than with the beta-1 version that I used for my last test.

YafaRay - 2560 x 1350 - 1 minute 11 seconds.

Sunflow default - with advanced settings - 2560 x 1350 - 2 mins 11 seconds.

Sunflow PVR - optimized - 2560 x 1350 - 3 mins 57 seconds. Absolutely best quality.

YafaRay , as it is now, is absolutely faster than high quality rendering with Sunflow,
but I have a feeling that bringing YafaRay up to speed on the quality, we might see there is not much difference in rending time.

Cec
[Sep 5, 2019, 7:25:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@Cecilia @Enko (and all others)

The tests I did, were done to test YafaRay and compare it to the other two options available, not to comment on the quality of the test files.

Seen the fact, that in two options we cannot change parameters, I decided to use Enko's plugin "as is". Second reason for doing so, is that (apart from you and Enko) probably nobody really knows which settings to use to get better-than-standard results. Moreover, probably (almost) nobody knows that in different situations different settings should be used.

99% of all users of SH3D want the program to run out of the box. That includes me. Unless someone writes a clear user manual on best settings for different situations, Enko's plugin is best tested in the way most people use it. At least, that's my point of view.

That said, I'm very interested in this new development. I have been wondering about the continued use of Sunflow, if only because I know that development of Sunflow has stopped long ago, which at some stage may hamper the development of SH3D.
I have been using, and still use, this software for ten years now (almost), and have been trying to make my small contribution in that time.
Enko's plugin is very valuable for everybody who wants to get the best renders. No doubt about it.
The YafaRay plugin may be equally important for the future, although it may take a while before it's as good as Enko's plugin.

Meanwhile, as always, I thank you, Enko, Emmanuel and many others for the continued support and development of this great software,

Hans

PS - If I can help doing more testing, just tell me what and how :-)
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Edit 1 times, last edit by hansmex at Sep 5, 2019, 9:57:56 PM]
[Sep 5, 2019, 9:57:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

99% of all users of SH3D want the program to run out of the box. (...) Enko's plugin is best tested in the way most people use it. At least, that's my point of view.
Well, it does work "out of the box", but the whole point with using PVR is to tweak it.
In addition to Enkonyito's own example renderings, there are several postings on the forum showing how members are using the plug-in. One of these examples is the one I posted in my comment to you.

But with 840 views and 36 comments so far, this thread is obviously not catching the 99% of the users that in your opinion prefers "out-of-the-box" as their favourite setting. With some 80.000 downloads this week alone, that should leave 800 potential users who at some point might develop an interest in acquiring knowledge about how to produce the best rendering of their creations.

The way see it, the purpose of posting our tests here is giving valuable feedback to Puybaret (and Enko?) on how YafaRay handles a variety of challenges that no programmers have the time to test themselves.
The main purpose of a photo-renderer is to produce a photo-realistic image.
Since YafaRay is supposed to be faster than Sunflow, my opinion is that the best way to test this is to compare the three options by looking at differences in speed compared to differences in quality.

Cec
[Sep 6, 2019, 10:29:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
confused Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in

Hi,

Here is my return about the use of yafaray's plugin.
I notice 3 same problems on background with 3 différents projects (red Arrow).
A part of the background has no rendering ? biggrin

Always in the same corner with Q3.

All is ok in Q4.

crying
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Sep 6, 2019, 3:16:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

From a developer point of view, this plug-in is very close to the existing photo creation tool, with its YafarayPhotoPanel and YafarayRenderer classes close to the PhotoPanel and PhotoRenderer existing classes. This should allow developers (enkonyito?) who know these classes to improve this plug-in if they want, and me to factorize some code in a future version.

What do you think to add a rendering engine selection button (Sunflow, YafaRay) to the standard photo panel as in this old plug-in ?

EnkoNyito
[Sep 6, 2019, 4:17:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

That would be an excellent idea!!
Hans

hansdirkse.info
[Sep 6, 2019, 4:29:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 173   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved