Blog

Index  | Recent Threads  | List Attachments  | Search
 Welcome Guest  |  Register  |  Login
Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 173
Posts: 173   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 410142 times and has 172 replies Next Thread
Puybaret
Expert

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: YafaRay rendering plug-in

There must be a problem with double sides or with normals in the Mantle Clock.
When you remove normals from OBJ files (remove the last /vindex in the triplets of the lines starting by f), or when you import / reexport the model in Blender, the parts of the clock which are rendered in black aren't black anymore.
Which software was used to design it?
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 8, 2021, 1:50:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

When you remove normals from OBJ files (remove the last /vindex in the triplets of the lines starting by f), or when you import / reexport the model in Blender, the parts of the clock which are rendered in black aren't black anymore.
Which software was used to design it?
GhyslainB could tell you where he found this object and possibly what software was used to design it.

By replacing the textures with colors for the problematic materials (material0, material6, material9), I get this result.

EnkoNyito
[Feb 9, 2021, 1:39:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

The faces have been flipped. I have flipped them back, and the clock renders fine with both Sunflow and YafaRay.
You can find the flipped version here:
ceciliabr.com/sh3D/Mantel-Clock-flipped.sh3d

Cecilia
[Feb 9, 2021, 10:53:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@Ceciliabr
The faces have been flipped. I have flipped them back, and the clock renders fine with both Sunflow and YafaRay.
How did you flip the faces in the right direction?

@Puybaret
By removing the normals, I also get a correct rendering with YafaRay.
Does this mean that YafaRay and SunFlow do not handle misdirected faces in the same way?
EnkoNyito
[Feb 11, 2021, 4:19:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GhyslainB

@Puybaret @Enkonyito @Ceciliabr — Thank you all for pitching in on my problem. And a special thank you to Cecilia for preparing a corrected version of the clock! (I am rendering it as I write.)

Also, Cecilia, although I’m afraid that I am not savvy enough to follow Emmanuel’s instructions, or indeed to know what to do in Blender, if it is not too difficult, I would be interested to know how it can be done so I can fix it myself the next time around. But in any case, thanks for your help indeed.

For reference, if memory serves, the clock would have been made with SketchUp.
[Feb 12, 2021, 7:22:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Sorry I can't give you a tutorial on how to do this in Blender.
I'm not very comfortable with using Blender. It's a great program, by all means, and you can most certainly use it to flip face normals, but for me to find out how to do that would include searching for tutorials on youtube or the user forum. I only use Blender for fixing complicated texture coordinates, which is as far as I have come with mastering the program.

To fix the Mantel clock, I used a program called Verto Studio 3D , which is free if you are using apple OS, and cost some 18 euro for Windows. Verto Studio 3D is a program that during the past five years have become my favourite companion to SH3D.

Actually I did a bit more than just flip the normals of the clock face. The Mantel clock is not really a well constructed model. I had to get rid of several doublettes, which you can see from the material list if you open the modify window. Double faces, especially with non-matching colours or textures, tend to create black surfaces or stange triangular patterns when used with SH3D.

Sketchup models are often quite messy and in need of some doctoring before they work well with other programs.

Cecilia
[Feb 12, 2021, 6:38:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
GhyslainB

Hi Cecilia,

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who has yet to muster up the courage to become a Blender power user! In fact, it would be a somewhat daunting task for me, and compounded by the fact that I do this as a hobby in my spare time. It was because I was under the impression that you had made the clock correction with Blender that I had mentioned it. But really, I’m just happy to know how you actually did it, so I can learn to do it myself.

All this to say that I will most definitely have a look at Verto Studio 3D (and I’m working on a Mac, so yeah freeware). I’m quite happy with SH3D, but I must say that finding a convivial and easy to use 3D modelling companion app is something I have been missing from time to time. I think it has the potential to be a useful addition to my toolbox.

As for the clock model itself, I had suspected that that the complexity of the object was part of the problem — with free internet downloads, sometimes quality is not always even. But I thank you again for fixing it for me, it now renders perfectly.

Best,
Ghyslain
[Feb 14, 2021, 12:42:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The version 1.4.4 fixes some kind of shadows that could appear on some complex flat surfaces with the version 1.4.3 of the plug-in, like on the door of the dishwasher in the following image.

This is actually a tradeoff on the parameter I changed in the previous version to avoid clear lines at the ceiling border. A few clear pixels may appear a little more in version 1.4.4 but this unwanted shadow line won't appear on this dishwasher (and other 3D objects, I hope).

This version fixes also two memory leaks, one about memory used by texture images and the other about the generated image itself. So, rendering multiple large images with big textures shouldn't require you to relaunch Sweet Home 3D anymore.

Finally, I bundled the .dylib files (macOS DLLs) of the plug-in with the version 6.5.1 of Sweet Home 3D available in the Mac App Store to make it possible to render images with the plug-in under recent macOS versions. However, generated images must still be saved in Library/Containers/com.eteks.sweethome3d.SweetHome3D/Data folder of user's home folder or in a subfolder with that version. It's up to you to move them afterwards.
[Mar 13, 2021, 11:38:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@Puybaret

The version 1.4.4 fixes some kind of shadows that could appear on some complex flat surfaces with the version 1.4.3 of the plug-in, like on the door of the dishwasher in the following image.
The problem is not seen with the Ambient Occlusion lighting method but persists with Path Tracing.

Ambient Occlusion_Shadow Bias=0.005 - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto)

Path Tracing_Shadow Bias=0.005 - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto)

Same effect with the parameters: Shadow Bias=0.0005 (auto) - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto).

This is actually a tradeoff on the parameter I changed in the previous version to avoid clear lines at the ceiling border. A few clear pixels may appear a little more in version 1.4.4 but this unwanted shadow line won't appear on this dishwasher (and other 3D objects, I hope).
With the SimpleRoom file, I always get this result.

Ambient Occlusion_Shadow Bias=0.005 - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto)

Ambient Occlusion_Shadow Bias=0.0005 (auto) - Ray Min Dist=5e-05 (auto)

What could make the faces of a mesh visible in indirect rendering (Photon Mapping)?

EnkoNyito
[Mar 14, 2021, 3:43:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for your tests EnkoNyito. I think I'll simply try to improve the meshes on the model of this dishwasher in a future version of furniture libraries. If you or other users see some similar problems on some models available at the free 3D models page, please tell me so I can check them too.
I'll make some additional tests on adv_min_raydist_value parameter, but feel free to make the adjustments you feel the best in your plug-in.

About the visibility of meshes in indirect rendering, sorry I have no idea at the moment. Maybe you could ask to the developer of YafaRay himself...
[Mar 14, 2021, 5:56:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 173   Pages: 18   [ Previous Page | 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved