Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14164 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Victor

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How to break a wall?

Is there any way to break either the wall or the connection point between two walls? I made a basic shape for my house with exact measures, but it has more complex layout actually. An old 3D Home Architect software I used more than years 10 years ago allowed breaking the wall, but I couldn't find anything like this in SweetHome3D and seems I have to abandon what I have already done and start again from the scratch.

[Note: this thread was started on sourceforge.net forums]
[Jan 28, 2008, 12:27:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pencilart
Advanced Member

Re: How to break a wall?

Why are you breaking a wall? I've never heard of that.
If you want to put in a door, just drag a door from the catalog into the wall you want it in.
If you want to make another room so that you can color it differently, you'd have to stop the wall where the new room starts and then draw another wall where you want it.

I hope I helped a bit.

[Jan 28, 2008, 6:53:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Victor

This feature was in 3D Home Architect by Broderbund Software (1993 for Windows 3.0 :). And actually it helped very much. For example, most houses are more or less rectangular in their basic layout. So I start with a rectangle, which I can measure precisely, with a given wall thickness. But my house has two bay windows (different in sizes) and one prominent wall; they have also different wall thickness. So I break the main wall and add these extra shapes.

[Jan 29, 2008, 3:40:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pencilart
Advanced Member

With SweetHome3D, you can change the thickness of your walls, and make bay windows and prominent walls as you go. It will give you the exact measurement of the wall you are drawing out. There is even a tool that shows you the measurement (4th tool icon from the right in my screenshot below.) You can even take the 2d (architectural) plans that you drew on paper and use that as a background image (just make sure that the image is not too large) and trace your walls that way. Like I said, you can print your plans out the way you like from SH3D too.

Here is a screenshot of a home in SH3D (the bottom 3d pane is in virtual visitor mode: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnart/SH3D-in_use.jpg
This one has the bottom pane in regular mode:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnar...iseHouse-2dfloor-SH3D.jpg

This one is a screenshot of the bay window area that I made:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnart/FutureHome-aerialview.jpg
And this is the bay window that I designed in AOI and imported it into SH3D:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/gymnart/Viewfrmpictwindow.jpg

SweetHome3D is free and is available for both Windows and Linux. It uses Java to run just like AOI does. Like I said too, I use the two programs together to complement each other, one for the furnishings, doors, windows, and counter tops that I want and the other for making the walls for the house.

[Jan 29, 2008, 5:21:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Adding a point to wall to split it in two parts may be available in a future version of Sweet Home 3D, but it's not the most interesting feature to add at this time.

----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jan 29, 2008, 7:13:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Victor

SweetHome3D is a great tool, thanks to its developers. My problem was that I expected the existence of this feature and made some drawing, assuming that these decorative changes could be made later. Would be nice, if it appeared in some future releases.

Another thing I have discovered, is that if I move the wall, its elements, like doors and windows, remain in their positions. They should stick down the wall.

Thanks!

[Jan 29, 2008, 11:03:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pencilart
Advanced Member

I have found that when you want to move a wall and you want the doors and windows to move with it, you have to select the doors and windows along with the desired wall and then move it.

[Jan 30, 2008, 6:19:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

From version 1.4, you can split a selected wall in two walls with "Plan > Split wall" menu item.

----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 8, 2008, 11:46:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
edgar

From version 1.4, you can split a selected wall in two walls with "Plan > Split wall" menu item.

...and what about joining two walls?
[Sep 22, 2009, 6:19:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
millenniumtree

I concur. If you can split, you need to be able to join.
[Nov 3, 2009, 8:23:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved