Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6814 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Bubblobill

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Building a bespoke staircase constructor plugin - need help

So I have decided to try my hand at making a plugin. Unfortunately I have never programmed in Java before and it is doing my head in. I have made a fair bit of headway, the code can be found on Project on Github.

I'm fairly sure I have chosen a difficult project to cut my teeth on, what I need now is assistance and advice.

• Have I approached this correctly?
  • Should I pack my bags and go home?
  • What should I do from here?

Anyone that wants to help out with the rest of the code is welcome to contribute.

Regards,

Jay
[Jun 28, 2019, 2:37:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
Re: Building a bespoke staircase constructor plugin - need help

For shore is a difficult project (at least for starting in any programming language).
Have I approached this correctly?

Depend of Your mind structure.
From my side (inspired by Asimov):
I know the final. For this I start with the end; what I want to happen in the end.
Than I think what I need for this, who provide'it (usually the end user).
I consider the user to be a most common person(over 65 old) who could use my soft; I keep this in mind and I try to make'it accordingly(specially the UI).
So, You have to reconsider the approach.
Should I pack my bags and go home?

NO WAY BACK!!! Get Up and fight!
Anyone that wants to help out with the rest of the code is welcome to contribute.

Well not too much for the start:
1. I modify a little Your project. Could be find HERE
2. First observation on ApplicationPlugin.properties file:
field class MUST be the same as package from class files
3. Second= in src directory You must have .java not .class
You could see the differences in folder.
Happy programming cool !
----------------------------------------
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
When all else fails, read the instructions.Murphy's Law
[Jun 30, 2019, 7:17:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bubblobill

Australia

Cheers Dorin. Going to have a look at it now.
Jay
[Jul 9, 2019, 6:21:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania

One more inspiration on this site .
It do approximately what You want but You need to generate 3D objects not only flat.
So, could be a very long way.
I suggest You to start with more common stairs and than to add country specific restrictions.
Also You must decide the approach:
1. Do an plugin, or
2. Do an separate application.
While You don't need too much from SH3D You could choose the 2.
A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do. Murphy's Law (Greer's Third Law)
[Jul 9, 2019, 6:56:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bubblobill

Australia

Nice find. I will see if there are things to adopt/steal.

I've been constructing a selection of parts to form the staircase and trying to work out how to get them into java. Manipulating them will be my next hurdle.

This is what I am aiming for in quality.
One step

More steps

Lots of steps

[Jul 9, 2019, 8:41:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bubblobill

Australia
UI draft

I have been beating my head against Java UIs and now it hurts.

Importing 3D objects and displaying them is proving to be beyond me so far so I have put it aside to work on the initial set-up interface. So far they should make sense to most people.

From SH3D I mostly want the user to select the levels that will contain the staircase. I use this to determine the total rise which influences the number of steps required, how many landings, etc.

Basic step design is in prototype and looks like this

Step rise selection will be limited (eventually) to integer divisions of the total rise.

I also intend to give alternative nosing profiles beyond the default half-round.

If anyone can give guidance on importing, resizing, positioning and displaying objects in a j3d display canvas I am all ears.
[Jul 18, 2019, 5:51:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
Re: UI draft

1. It's a good training to exercise with UI, You will need it.
2. An other source of inspiration could be useful. Read it and You will find also some regulations (riser height, recommended outcome, angle of the stair, etc).
If anyone can give guidance on importing, resizing, positioning and displaying objects in a j3d display canvas

I suggest for inspiration to study the code of:
-Modify posture (SH3D)
-Modify opening (SH3D)
-Modify furniture (FurnitureLibraryEditor)

4. You will have also to generate 3D objects (read Export as new furniture & Shape generator plugins)
[Jul 18, 2019, 6:56:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bubblobill

Australia
Technical question about level heights

When I am determining the total rise for a staircase I am doing it based on the following calculation for spanning levels/floors.

Elevation(Highest Level) + Height(Highest Level) - Elevation(Lowest level)

What I need to know is:
- Does Level Height include Floor Thickness?
- Does Level Elevation measure to the bottom of the floor or the top of the floor?

I think that for the last step to come out even with the floor I might need to adjust my formula to;

Elevation(Highest Level) + Height(Highest Level) + Floor Thickness(Highest Level) - Elevation(Lowest level)

but I am not 100%. I may just be overthinking it.
[Jul 23, 2019, 12:23:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mike53
Advanced Member

UK
Re: Technical question about level heights

Hi Bill
You may find some of the info Here helpful, it shows calculations for stairs 1 step down and with top tread level, plus many other things, i used it when calculating the stairs i have made.
I cannot help with the java wizardry, sorry, but good luck
Mike
[Jul 23, 2019, 1:06:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dorin
Advanced Member

Romania
Re: Technical question about level heights

About levels You could read this
- Does Level Height include Floor Thickness?
No.
Next level elevation=elevation+floor thickness+level height of previously level
[Jul 24, 2019, 7:18:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved