Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8766 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Jonnie63

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
VR Mode revisited/reconsidered

Hi

I was last active on this forum maybe 2 months ago at that time I was writing a lot about wishes for VR mode.

I am designing a real house and two chalets, its a big project.

I just wanted to share some thoughts after extensively using a VR panorama style tour using $30 goggles and my wifes smart phone and finally KRPANO to produce a VR tour from spherical renderings.

1. I no longer care about real time VR - the quality I get in a rendered image 5000 pixels by 2500 pixels (thats the spherical image) simply could not be achieved 25 frames per second for a real time experience. I find it much better to render each point in my virtual tour ( that takes between 2 and 5 hours ) and then to enjoy real quality - so what! I cannot step an arbitary distance or direction, I can only move between pre-determined pre-rendered points but that really is fine for me.

2. I am not so concerned about stereoscopic views, from what I gather we judge distance close up with stereoscopic but actually use a lot of other visual cues for distance which is probably more applicable for architecture.

3. My new goal for realism is simply to try to calibrate an existing and modelled scene so that when I view the house that is not built yet I have confidence that I am not seeing things closer or further than they really would be. The calibration will consist of crudely but accurately modelling say (my lounge) and then sliding the googles on and off when looking at the real scene and seeing if my settings give agreement between VR and reality.

I will publish a link to the tour at some point, it can be viewed in browser on a laptop but is so much better viewed in googles - its not stereoscopic but it is fully immersive.

Jon
[Jun 10, 2019, 6:31:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: VR Mode revisited/reconsidered

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and happy you find spherical images useful for your goal.
I'm looking forward to viewing your tour.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jun 11, 2019, 9:21:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

No problem, I think its important to update our "wish" thoughts as our experiences develop, instead of needing enhancements I now realise that the combination of Sweethome3d and KRPANO gives me everything I needed - I would be interested to see if better goggles would improve quality but thats a hardware issue.

For people interested I believe KRPANO can still be downloaded for free as long as you do not mind a logo appearing in the view. I was luckly enough to have a perpetual license from a long time ago. KRPANO offers support for VR goggles, it can actually deal with true stereoscopic images but also deals nicely with non-stereo, I am not fully convinced that when viewing objects at say five or ten metres it makes so much difference.
[Jun 12, 2019, 10:58:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
YGYL
Advanced Member

tongue Re: VR Mode revisited/reconsidered

It's easy to watch 3D VR on a mobile phone. I made a 3D video more than two years ago.

[Jun 14, 2019, 2:15:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TomV

Hey Guys,

I struggled with this as well, and finally found a solution that works great (for me at least)

- Export entire design to OBJ file including textures
- Import OBJ file in SimLab VR Composer (paid, but free trial is available: https://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/simlab-composer-vr-edition.aspx)

- Set a starting position and export as .VRpackage file, get this file on your phone somehow
- Use SIMlab AR/VR viewer on your phone icm. with Google-Carboard equivalent to walk around in your house! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Simlab.SimlabViewer&hl=en

It really helped me get a feeling for the layout and sizes of my rennovation project.
[Jul 24, 2020, 10:19:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved