Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 2
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5018 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
Jonnie63

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
A Global Ceilings Visible / Invisible Switch

As far as I am aware the switch to turn off a ceiling is only available when editing the properties of a room?

I would like a global over ride option (over all ceilings visible or all ceilings invisible) for the following reasons.

1. Limitation/bug in auto ceiling generation code causes spurious ceiling facets to appear in aerial view - more below.

2. Export to OBJ does the sensible thing and does not export ceilings that are not visible - thats great for people rendering aerial views - I would just like to be able to turn them all off in one place rather than editing each room for a temporary reason. The consequence of ceilings in the exported OBJ is black "roofs" on top of rooms - in essence the other side of the ceiling as seen from above.

Regards the bug/limitation - this one does not surprise me - Sweethome is "autofilling" ceilings automatically based on the periphery of tops of walls, not a difficult task for a box but my building has three interconnected boxes - the middle one is a wide walkway and has a flat roof, the connected boxes either side are higher and have sloped walls - I can fully understand why this trips the auto ceiling calculation up.

When I view in aerial mode spurious triangles (facets) appear and disappear despite the fact that I am higher than any part of the building.

The "bad" triangles always connect to points on the tops of the walls that are not logically connected.

It looks to me as if SweetHome has tried to fit triangular faceted meshes to the periphery of the tops of my walls but very understandably has not made sense of it all - triangular facets have got twisted or self intersecting and so their normals do not point down and so they appear when they should not.

I can submit the issue with ceilings as a bug if requested but in many respects the global "turn off ceilings" switch might be easier and useful to others?
[Apr 2, 2019, 1:26:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: A Global Ceilings Visible / Invisible Switch

Update, I think I would withdraw this suggestion.

I was new to SweetHome3d - the auto-ceilings were a mixed blessing for me at that stage but now I have created my own "solid" roofs for all sections of the build I no longer use the ceiling facility so it is turned off for all rooms and is no longer something I need to turn on and off repeatedly for every room.
[Apr 10, 2019, 10:58:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved