Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2329 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
mrwolfe

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Virtual visit in Ubuntu 18.04

I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 from 16.10 LTS. In 16.10, I could display the virtual visit in a separate window, then move that window to a different workspace. That allowed me to switch between plan view and virtual visit by switching workspaces.

Ubuntu 18.04 doesn't allow me to do that. If I try to move the virtual visit window to a new workspace, both the virtual visit and the main windows move. I can no longer put the two windows on different workspaces.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can separate the two windows onto separate workspaces? Either that, or easily switch between the two?
[Mar 30, 2019, 5:45:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

Re: Virtual visit in Ubuntu 18.04

@mrwolfe

I am running the same version of Ubuntu as you ( 18.04 LTS ).
I can confirm the behaviour you describe.
Perhaps another route may suit you.
I have a large flat screen TV with HDMI on both TV and laptop
I view the virtual visit on the TV and the plan view on my laptop ( after first separating the virtual view so that it appears in a new window )

So yes it does not seem to work with workspaces on the default monitor ( workspace UP or Down etc ).

But it works fine with a second monitor ( workspace Left or Right ).

I did find some idiosyncrasies.

SweetHome 3D gives an error report telling me update drivers if and only if I try to import new furniture whilst the virtual visit is
on the TV monitor - as long as I always move the virtual visit to the laptop top monitor before importing new furniture it works fine.

I suspect my laptop drivers are not quite set up correctly for second screen but the point is that it works at a practical level as
long as I do not mind moving all windows to the laptop workspace before I perform import furniture operations. Once in a while I forget
and Sweethome exits with an error message and I just have to restart - could be a pain if I did not save regularly but so far no real problem.

The other anomaly I encounter is that my system would only work reliably if I set the TV to be right of the laptop screen rather than
left of it - this is a setting that defines which boundary left or right you should slide a window for it to move into the other window.
I cannot remember the consequence whether SweetHome crashed or exited. In many ways you can solve this just by the way you position your
large screen - it just helps intuitively if a left screen slide ( from laptop to large screen ) corresponds with the large screen being
physically a little more to the left of your laptop screen - a bigger desk or desk reshuffle can solve the problem at a non software level.

If this sounds like a lot of hassle it isnt really - I am designing 3 buildings so many many hours involved and only say 1 hour messing
around to get to grips with the anomalies and devise a working style to get around it.

I would advise anyone with a really large TV screen and suitable HDMI connections to try 3d virtual visit on a really large screen,
it so much improves the whole experience and helps you feel as if you are there in person. I rate this as the single biggest improvement
in my working setup in terms of being able to get a feel for the environment I am designing - I could not rate it highly enough.
[Mar 31, 2019, 1:36:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mrwolfe

Australia
Re: Virtual visit in Ubuntu 18.04

Hmmm. Looks like I might have to get a new monitor.
[Apr 2, 2019, 11:40:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved