Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 20
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5528 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
thoron

Deutschland
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Various issue with walls/textures

Hello,

after some more weeks working with SW3D and building my home I notified various issues with walls/textures which make me crazy and I am seeking for some help to solve these issues:

Issue no 1:
In my house I have many walls which ends somewhere in the room so that you can see the head of the wall. Unfortunately this part of the wall does not get baseboards (see picture). Any idea how to get this done?

Issue no2:

If walls get one texture from one side and another texture from the other side, the top and the side (head) of the walls display both textures half and half. this leads to a problem especially with windows when this window is not sitting exactly in the middle (see picture)

Issue no 3:

Objects imported to SW3D do get a very strange texture on some areas (see picture). Especially if the texture has a structure like tiles the texture gets a strong distortion. This does not happen if the same object is textured in Sketch up.
Any ideas here how this can be resolved?

Issue no 4:

Inclined walls which every house with inclined roof has. This picture shows the desired outcome:

This is my first option in SW3D: walls not joined:

OK, but the smaller wall has no inclination along its thickness as required.
I read somehwere that walls meeting each other should always be joined. This would lead to the following situation:

Not really ok, because the walls meet at different heights. Could be corrected, but need trigonometric calculations in order to input the right height.

Two questions:
1. Is it possible to create a situation as shown in the first picture? If not is it planned to introduce this capability in a future version?

2. Is it right to say, that in the given situation the walls should not be joined?

Hope somebody can help. Many thanks.
[Jan 26, 2019, 9:56:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thoron

Deutschland
Re: Various issue with walls/textures

Ok, more tha 40 members looked at this post, but nobody answered.
Did I ask something wrong or is it the wrong thread?
I can't imagine that none of the experienced users did not had the same issues and may know how to resolve or simply confirm that there is no solution.
I took some work to make this post and I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
[Feb 2, 2019, 10:09:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for taking the time to report these limitations on Sweet Home 3D, and sorry but don’t expect they will be improved soon.
Nevertheless, you can circumvent the first one by creating a small additional wall at 90° at the end of the main wall. The second issue can be avoided by using two thinner walls in the thickness.
The texture can be drawn differently if the 3D model contains some texture coordinates and you apply textures on an object with its material modification panel. If interested you can find explanations about texture coordinates on the web.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 3, 2019, 2:09:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thoron

Deutschland

Thank you, Puybaret for giving some feedback.

With regard to issue 1, I tried your proposal of a small wall (see picture). Hope that this was what you mean. Apart from the need to iterate the texture of this small wall in oder to get it in line with the normal baseboard picture, would this not create a problem with the ceiling?

As far as I understood the manual/hints any wall smaller than the surrounding main walls would create strange things with the ceiling, which anyhow is another problem I have, because my house has several walls smaller than room height.

With regard to issue no. 2 I do not really get what you mean. Can you explain a little more detailed?

With regard to issue no. 3 I am as well not sure that I understand what you want to say.
I figured already out that assigning a texture when creating the model (in Sketch up) helps sometimes to overcome this issue when retexturing in SW3D with the material modification panel. But other cases e.g. the one I displayed in my first post, do not work, although it got assigned a simple color texture in Sketch up.

Regarding issue 4 any ideas or hints?

Just for my interest, when you say that these issues will not be improved soon, would the fix so difficult or do you have so many other things with higher priority?

Your help is very much appreciated.
[Feb 3, 2019, 10:55:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Fixes:

Issue 1:
Use boxes to create your own baseboards for illustrative purposes. That way you have full control.

Issue 2:
Apply a textured box to the end of the wall as an illustrative make-up.

Issue 3:
Tricky, but it’s really more of a constructional challenge than a texture problem. Create your stairs using boxes in SH3D, and the texture problem is solved.
Alternative if you are set on making your models with Sketchup: Get a program like f.i. Blender or Verto Studio 3D that can unfold your model and fix your texture coordinates.

Issue 4:

Download this file:

Walls sh3d

Best of luck,

Cecilia
[Feb 3, 2019, 11:29:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

For the first issue, you can shift textures using X / Y offset fields in texture choice panel.

For the second issue, I meant that you can use two parallel walls with different thicknesses which touch each other, as in the file attached to this post. Using two different wall patterns could even help you to distinguish insulation from the main wall part.

when you say that these issues will not be improved soon, would the fix so difficult or do you have so many other things with higher priority?
The fixes aren't always so difficult to program, but as soon as there is an easy way to circumvent an apparently missing feature, I'm very often reluctant to overload the user interface with new fields. The furniture and wall dialog boxes are already quite large!
Attachment DoubleWalls.sh3d (87459 bytes) (Download count: 145) (Double walls with different thicknesses)

Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Feb 4, 2019, 12:32:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thoron

Deutschland

Many thanks for your helpful hint, Ceciliabr,

The boxes to circumvent issue 1 and 2 I already used before my post, but I must admit that I don't like this very much. If it would be only 1 or 2 times, ok, but more than 30 times is too much. I prefer to have objects (furniture and other stuff) separated from construction items as walls, textures, windows etc.

I would really appreciate if theses issues could be fixed in one of the next releases.

With regard to issue no. 3 I must admit that I am still confused.

Ceciliabr, how should a box which has 90° angles help to build the steps of my stairs which do not have a rectangular shape?
Furthermore the box from SW3D has texture issues as well, when you rescale it. The texture gets compressed on those areas which are getting smaller. I would appreciate some more help on this.

Issue no. 4: Great idea, which I didn't find myself. The only little disadvantage is the visible cutting line which separates the two parts of the wall.

So I still looking for some help on issue no. 3. Thank you.
[Feb 4, 2019, 2:52:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

If it would be only 1 or 2 times, ok, but more than 30 times is too much.
Make a group, or better yet: Create a 3D OBJ file, a customized window including your make-up boxes. Then copy/paste.

Ceciliabr, how should a box which has 90° angles help to build the steps of my stairs which do not have a rectangular shape?

Just like in real life, you build your model with bricks or tiles.
Here I have used 20x20 cm boxes to create a simplified construction:

You can of course alter the size of your building blocks, and you can also use textured triangles and cylinders in addition to the boxes. The reason I go for boxes is that I find mimicking real life to be a good starting point when making 3D models wink

If you export your construction to an OBJ-file, you can easily change and customize textures to fit the model after importing it to your project.
Making this simple demo took me some ten minutes.
A more complex construction will naturally take a bit longer.

Cec
[Feb 4, 2019, 11:19:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
thoron

Deutschland

Hello Ceciliabr,

Now I got it, very tricky biggrin

I played a little bit with your model with regard to customizing textures and additional questions came up. Hope you can answer them:

1. case:
Loading your model, marking all boxes and change texture of the selection (not with the material change panel as being inactive) and got this. Again some areas of distortion:

2. Case

following your advice exporting you model as obj-file and importing it again. Using texture change (not the material change panel) and got this.
Other areas of distortion:

3. case

Doing the same as in case 2, but now using the material change panel and assigning each of the 6 areas the same texture. Result is strange again, because the scaling of the texture was changed (to very small). You see as well a simple wall with the same texture and 100% scaling.

I find this very strange and I don't get the logic behind. Maybe you can shed some light on this. Many thanks.
[Feb 5, 2019, 4:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

I find this very strange and I don't get the logic behind. Maybe you can shed some light on this.
Yes, I can.

The texture coordinates are not recognised when you use the first method ( left), so the texture is applied using the predefined size.
The other method will use the texture coordinates when you apply a texture, and give the texture a relative scale as described by the coordinates. Any texture , no matter the size, will be rescaled by the texture coordinates to fit the model.

You have to use this method to get the result on the right:

If you are changing texture you have to scale and maybe alter the x/y coordinates of your texture before you apply it to all six sides.

Cec
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Feb 5, 2019, 8:35:25 PM]
[Feb 5, 2019, 8:16:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved