Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11952 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
okh
Advanced Member

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: New prefixes

I think all the models are great. Quickly tested hinges, rails and texture mapping, very nicely done!

As for the hinges, I prefer the left, darker brown chair - seems more logical to me. Out of curiosity, did you try with all three elements groups of the chair to be hinged? So when you fold the chair, you can also put the chair upright at the same time. But - without trying - I see that triple hinges might just be confusing.

The models are pretty close to perfect in my opinion. Not bloated, nice texture mapping, clean nice design. I cannot really come up with any ideas for improvement.

BTW, I also really like the way the new features have been implemented. Quite impressive that SH3D correctly guessed the axis direction and pivot of the hinges in the few tests I have done. I had expected to do a lot of trial and error to make it work as planned.

ok

PS My personal preference when messing with the .obj files, is to change origin of vertices to 0 and to remove normals. Not only to get smallest possible models, but when adding group names with mirrors, hinges and rails, a bare bone .obj file can be slightly easier to work with. But that is just me, and, of course, means absolutely nothing for your nice final product...
[Oct 10, 2018, 8:07:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alaX

Poland

@UbuntuBirdy
@bdfd
@okh
Thank you. kiss

Yes, scissors have different reflections (s1 vs.vn). Maybe it's not so important for such small model but I was trying to achieve as realistic appearance as possible in case somebody wants to make it focus point of an artwork wink I was trying to add sweethome3d_window_mirror prefix (super shiny look) but hinge didn't work with it crying

I don't know how to stop rotation or translation of openings. Earlier in this thread I asked Emmanuel about what he had announced here

I made third version of folding chair - it seems quite easy to operate (two hinges are in the same place).
folding chair x3.sh3d

Simple .obj file...that's my dream. I almost always remove normals but I'm starting to think that doesn't shrink .obj in my cases (rounded/soften edges - compare size of new chair in two versions 6.3+s and 6.3+vn). I didn't think about origin of vertices - I'll try that. Renaming and removing groups would be easier if I knew better regular expressions My models may look clean but SU thinks otherwise and exports each piece which once was a group (or something like that) as a separate "instance geometry" so I end up with too many groups in my obj (exported fromSH3D).
[Oct 10, 2018, 9:28:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Thanks for posting these nice models.
About limiting moves and rotations, don’t expect something soon if ever it’s possible. It’s not the priority of the moment.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 10, 2018, 9:33:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alaX

Poland

I have to accept that. I will focus more on models without hinges and rails.
[Oct 10, 2018, 9:55:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

I know, I'm a lucky guy with my powerful machine and therefore my question: why do you need as small files as possible? Do they really slowing down your systems or even cause some problems?
I personally love as much details as possible in a object and hi-res textures. But as I said, I don't know how it is to work with a older, not so powerful system...
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Oct 10, 2018, 10:16:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I didn’t want to refrain you from creating that kind of model sad
[Oct 10, 2018, 10:21:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Do not worry, I create my models as I need them, without considering memory or hdd space. Some of them occupy many hundreds of MB on my HDD...
Pascal

[Oct 10, 2018, 10:32:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

UbuntuBirdy, my comment was for alaX but of course, feel free to design detailed models too!
[Oct 10, 2018, 10:45:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Oh, excuse me, I probably felt too important... laughing
Pascal

[Oct 11, 2018, 12:23:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

@alaX
Thanks for the movable models.
I tried the three folding chairs:
1 - The left chair cannot be rotated to a vertical position, you need a second modification to put it more upright, as if it were leaning against a wall.
2 - I couldn't move the seat of the white chair.
3 - The right chair is the best model: the seat can be made to stand vertical, seat and hind legs can be easily rotated.
Also, I like the way textures are applied to each part, looks very good!

@Emmanuel
It might be a useful (but not urgent) addition to set limits to the movable parts, something like upper and lower limit of the range of movement.

Hans
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 11, 2018, 10:48:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 5   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved