Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 35
Posts: 35   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 44126 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: CITY LIVING – a dream project.

This thread has provoked lots of thoughts about what a dream home really is

A dream home – or a home in a dream?
I’m not quite sure what makes the difference, but I feel there’s a difference there.
Maybe a dream home is something that can once become true, whilst a dreamt home is a home that cannot ever be real?
As a habit I have had for longer than I care to remember, I always try to write down as much as I can recall from my dreams – if they are something out of the ordinary.
I have a small, black moleskin notebook that I call My Dreambook on the bedside table, and I do this immediately after I wake up.
Using the early notes from my dream book, I later try to reconstruct as much as possible in my diary.
But the question always remains: How much is really left of the dream? How much of the dream is re-designed afterwards.
In this project I think a lot is re-constructed, probably as a reconsidered necessity, designed as a mixture of the dream and the faint memory of the New York appartement I visited.

there are ever so many nice details in Cec' concept
Thank you!

I sometimes meet persons who question my drive and wonder what can possibly justify putting all his energy into reconstructing something so unreal and insignificant as a dream.
I mentioned that I was in New York, pretending to attain a ballet workshop. Pretending is only half way true. I actually took some classes.
New York was very different to Oslo ( or Copenhagen, for that matter) in the manner of which a workshop was conducted, and they were teaching a totally different technique than what I was familiar with.
Well...
I’m a small person. How could I be supposed to manage lifting a male dancer, six feet tall and nearly twice my weight?
The answer was given in a typical New York-quasi-philosophical postulate, and went something like this:
Imagine a tree – not a tall tree, but a wide tree – a tree with strong branches formed as a sunshade, and with long roots that spreads out under the ground, like an inverted umbrella-shaped anchor. Now, be that tree, and stand firmly on the surface. Feel your roots grow and your extended spine being secured at the center of the earth. You are now in total balance, and like a tree you are getting your energy from the earth itself. You are strong!
The thing is: Anyone can lift anything – as long as it wants to be lifted. But you have to commit yourself, young lady, you have to be committed in everything you do!
Now, try again!

I failed.
I wasn’t committed.
I had already given up the idea of becoming a ballet dancer. The workshop had just been an excuse for going to New York.

Oh yes, the question: What’s driving me?
Commitment and ambition. That’s my answer. That's what I learned that day, although it didn't apply to the situation.
That's probably why I waste my time on reconstructing something so insignificant as a dream.

Well, I’m rambling and digressing, as usual.

function; uncluttered, clean, open spaces
It must have been this that triggered the memories of my childhood when I wanted to be a ballet dancer - the big rooms and the clean, open spaces.
Like you I’m safely placed in the suburbs now, and I have my open spaces – but I still miss living in the city.
My secret dream is to move back, once my girls have finished school.

Thanks a lot for your comment.
It's not lack of interest that has kept me away for a while.

I have nearly finished the second floor now, and I will post the results later.

Cec
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Dec 6, 2018, 4:37:55 PM]
[Dec 6, 2018, 4:35:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

A dream home – or a home in a dream?
I’m not quite sure what makes the difference, but I feel there’s a
difference there.

Winston Churchil said: '‘When I get to heaven I mean to spend a considerable portion of my first million years in painting'

So, perhaps I could say, a dream home is where I would like to spend my first one million years in if I go to heaven later (if there's such a thing like life after death). laughing

Well, I’m rambling and digressing, as usual.

I enjoy your rambling as much as your artistic works though.

The super king size bed looks very comfortable but I wonder why you put a chair next to it.
[Dec 7, 2018, 12:59:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bettycc

Switzerland

Stunning control of light.
[Dec 7, 2018, 6:20:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

He, he.
I had to laugh when I read about your ballet classes. As composer I have written ( and performed) quite a bit of ballet music and had my fair share of discussions with choreographers. I think I know exactly what technique you where exposed to in New York: Cunningham ( am I right?). You are probably more of a Graham person I take it – or show dance? Or burlesque? I wouldn't be surprised.

Aside from that I admire your new renderings here. You just keep on getting better and better with each new post.
"Stunning control of light" Betty says. I couldn't agree more. That's a nice compliment coming from her. She seems to be well in control herself.

Living in a city. I still am and I think I will be for the rest of my life. There's something unbeatable about living in walking distance from everything of interest.

Keep posting

Xiste
[Dec 10, 2018, 6:13:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

The super king size bed looks very comfortable but I wonder why you put a chair next to it.
Habit I suppose. I have always had a chair next to my bed. I used to put my clothes there when I was a teenager.
[Dec 13, 2018, 6:56:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Or burlesque? I wouldn't be surprised.
Seriously?

Off topic:
When I moved to Norway at 14, I continued to take classes, but I didn't like the milieu — the primitive snobbery and the tug-of-war between east and west — and the milieu didn't like me.

I never really pursued any career as a dancer — it was just a dream.

(You're right; it was called Cunningham. I was more into classical and "show dance". )

Cec
[Dec 13, 2018, 7:37:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Stunning control of light.
Thank you.
I practically grew up on a film set, and was fascinated by how the cinematographers used light.
I'm myself very fond of using natural light only, but then again there is no "natural light" in the 3D universe.
Lighting has become a lot easier with Enkonyito's panel lights.

cec
[Dec 13, 2018, 7:57:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

The 2nd floor
Some new renders.

This project has so far been one long experiment.
Getting the light right is what I spend most time on.
I like to experiment, and I quite often end up with a lot more light sources than I need.
I have added light sources to enhance the daylight and create shadows,
I have moved objects all over the place to get them into or out of the frame,
and I have used semi-transparent gradients to produce foggy atmospheres.

For these images, which I think will be the final images in this thread, I have set diffused bounces to 0 in an attempt to get a more solid black levels,
and I have used some absolutely white light sources to enhance the contrasts and create more complex shadows.
I have also experimented more with semi-transparent gradients in an attempt to create foggy atmospheres.

These next images are of the sitting-room.

First an exterior view, with a stencil of a panther.

Then some interiors.

The stairs, the sitting area in front of the fireplace and a small book collection in the corner.

Another view of the staircase, and a small table for six.

View from sitting area in front of the fireplace

A table for six, suitable for a quiet chat, lunch or supper away from the TV-set.

The old and battered fireplace — an oversized object that gives the room some personality.

Close-up of table with newspaper and Stelton vacuum with nice reflections.

The meagre book collection, a small workbench and some refreshment on the shelves.
The charcoal drawing is made by the Norwegian visual artist Jan Groth.

This is the entrance to the master bedroom and to the kid’s room (which is where we are going next).

I’m happy with the light, but I’m notnot entirely happy with the furnishing, so I might replace this image at some point.

For this room, I have experimented with another lighting technique:
I have placed objects in front of the light sources, like different sized grids, frames and branches.
The point was to alter the intensity if the light and to create some patterns on the walls.
I have also used some heavy coloured panel lights , red, orange, yellow and blue.
It didn’t turn out exactly what I hoped for, but I learned a lot.
I have probably used way to many light sources.

I have selected three renderings that are not half bad… I think.

Wall with angel.

Wall with giraffe stencils

View to the balcony ( with too long curtains).

This last image is a shot from the bathroom window — an example of a foggy, danish day:

Well...

Christmas is coming, and we are all going to Norway to spend Christmas with my mother.

Happy holidays everyone.

Cecilia
[Dec 18, 2018, 1:58:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..miss living in the city. My secret dream is to move back, once my girls have finished school.
Sounds familiar. In our suburban neighbourhood there are three families, all of which at some point proclaimed a return to the city when the kids moved out. Well, now kids are gone or about to leave, and everyone is still here. But then, of course, they have not seen your flat.
Christmas is coming, and we are all going to Norway to spend Christmas with my mother. Happy holidays everyone.
You too. Bring warm clothes. -9°C this morning. And if you drive, be careful. Drivers not yet familiar with electric car torque on icy roads.

But with the touch of snow, it is quite pretty here in the burbs. Christmas feel is impeccable - so have a nice one smile

ok
[Dec 18, 2018, 9:36:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Brilliant work!
Furniture, details, light, framing. I like it all.

And if you drive, be careful. Drivers not yet familiar with electric car torque on icy roads.
Scary, for sure. But even more scary that a lot of people don’t bother to scrape all the ice of their windshield, electric or fossile.

Merry Christmas!

Xiste
[Dec 22, 2018, 12:01:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 35   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved