Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13533 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
LinusHH

Germany
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Suddenly very slow in 2D plan view in Ubuntu 16.04

Hi Folks,

running SH3D on Ubuntu 16.04 was perfectly fast in 2D and 3D about 2 months ago.

Now I started a new project and drawing the very fist wall in 2D is awfull - it takes the wall more than a second to follow the curser. There is no other project open and the wall is the very first object to be drawn - no background - nothing.

I have created a few rooms, which was painfull and dropped a table inside - again taking seconds of delay. Funny enough, if I then go to 3D view, I can rotate, zoom etc. in all directions very fast - it is following the mouse with no delay.....

When I open my old project from 2 months ago, I have now the same effect - long delay in 2D, very fast in 3D. As said, this wasn't the case 2 months ago.

I am using AMD graphics card with latest AMDGPU-pro driver but I would expect that to effect more the 3D performance

Does anybody have an idea?

Many thanks for any help
Klaus
[Aug 30, 2018, 5:53:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Flexo221281

Re: Suddenly very slow in 2D plan view in Ubuntu 16.04

Hi Klaus,
I found your post, by googling for the same problem.
Actually I have a Kubuntu 18.04.

For me the problem is SweetHome 3D version 6.0 (I downloaded it from the SweetHome 3D Website).

Then I tried out the recent Sweet Home 3D version 5.7, which is packed in the Ubuntu Distribution Repository.
And everything is fast.

Unluckily I did not find the 5.7 version on the official page any more, since the distributed version of Sweet Home 3D does not support video recording.

Right now I try to get along with both versions installed.
Best regards,
Bastian
[Dec 9, 2018, 4:36:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
baldupau

Germany

I am having the same problem. The 2D view is extremely slow (at least 1s delay to any user interaction) while 3D runs smoothly. I can remember vaguely that this problem originally was not present, but I don't recall what has changed.
I am using Sweet Home 3D 6.1.2 on KDE SuSe 15.0 on a Ryzen 1700 /Radeon 580.
Maybe it is noteworthy that this is a dual-monitor setup with two 4K screens (i.e. GUI scaling is activated in KDE) and I start with

java -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -Dcom.eteks.sweethome3d.resolutionScale=2 -Dswing.plaf.metal.controlFont=Dialog-12 -Dswing.plaf.metal.userFont=SansSerif-12 -Dswing.plaf.metal.systemFont=SansSerif-12 -jar /home/paul/bin/SweetHome3D-6.1/SweetHome3D-6.1.2.jar

For comparison, I downloaded and started the portable version of Sweet Home 3D which is just as slow.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Paul
[Apr 17, 2019, 4:30:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Nereis

Hello,

I have a similar problem on yet another Linux config, with Manjaro 18.0 and xfce desktop. The 3D view works pretty smoothly, but drawing in the 2D view is sluggish. Same in SH3D 6.1.2 and 5.7 for me.

Actually most of the GUI, except for inside the 3D view, seems sluggish. E.g. Edit or Preferences windows take about a second to pop up.

Meanwhile the CPU and RAM don't seem to be maxing out at all...

This is the first time I'm using SH3D so can't compare to a previous situation.

some system info:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
4 Gb RAM
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a43] (rev 07)
Subsystem: Dell Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [1028:0233]

OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 19.0.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Surely not the latest, but too old?

and the Java version:
openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-b01)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.212-b01, mixed mode

Perhaps installing a different Java version would help? That does not look straightforward though as it would break dependencies for other programs; and it may not be worth the trouble...?

In any case, it's still fairly usable for me; many thanks to Emmanuel and any other contributors for this program!
[Jul 1, 2019, 1:18:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nicocool84

Anyone has a workaround for this?

I am running SH3D 6.3 on Fedora 31, and I experience the same thing: 3D is very "snappy" but plan view (and GUI in general) is barely usable because very slow.

I tried the x-Java3D-1_5_2 script and also tried using /usr/bin/java in place of the bundled java runtime but this does not seem to change much. I even tried the -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false and -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true suggested here: https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/bugs/854/ but to no avail.

I can post more info if useful. I would really like to use this software that looks perfectly suited for my needs… except that the plan view is too slow.
[Jun 23, 2020, 9:56:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
asavage

United States of America

Add me to the list. SH3D 6.4.2
Ubuntu 20.04
Dual Xeon hex core, 192Gb workstation

I have no experience with older versions, but the YouTube tutorials sure make 2D drawing look fast, and for me it's like drawing in molasses.
----------------------------------------
Regards,
Al Savage
[Nov 18, 2020, 2:57:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Joan20

Going to a previous version has helped me solve this issue.
[Nov 24, 2020, 2:34:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved