Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 18
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23803 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Ceiling downlight

I want to put ceiling downlight but cannot find it in the default library. So I put a incandescent light source instead but that doesn't look like a ceiling downlight at all because it creates a bright spot on the ceiling.

I used Blender to create a simple cylinder with a bottom face removed and import it to Sweethome3D to simulate a downlight housing.

Here are the two images:

Using incandescent light source without downlight housing

Using my simple housing. I know the protuding part from the ceiling is ugly but I don't know how to flaten it without losing the effect of downlight.

Any tips to share on creating a proper downlight?
[Jul 4, 2018, 2:56:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Ceiling downlight

Hope this thread can help you...
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Jul 4, 2018, 11:17:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

Thanks Emanuelle! That thread indeed is very informative. I'll spend some time reading it. I have a lot to learn.
[Jul 4, 2018, 1:42:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

The tips shared in the thread seems too complicated for me but I am deeply impressed with CeciliaB's post where she put light sources on the floor to simulate light beam spots on the floor. So I tried to follow her tricks by putting several light sources with elevation around 5cm to 40cm, but some of the renders seem to give some desirable effects. Please see attached photos.

The round light patch on the left came from the light source (with 5cm elevation from the floor). It looks too harsh and out of place. Then the light source near the girl's right lower leg gave a black patch on it. Overburned?

Look at the dark patches on the door frame.

Any tips on how to avoid these unwelcome ground level light source reflections?
[Jul 6, 2018, 3:06:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
enkonyito
Advanced Member

@rontant

When a light source comes in contact with an object, there is a dark mark at their intersections.
To avoid this, I choose the aerial view centered on the selection (light source) and I turn around it in the 3D view to check that there is no contact.

The white dots and reflections of the light sources are due to the fact that the shininessShader parameter is by default on silk.
To correct this, you can decrease the shininess of the parts of the object concerned or put it in mat.
----------------------------------------
EnkoNyito
[Jul 6, 2018, 6:29:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

Thank you very much @enkonyito. I have followed your advices and indeed they solved all the problems. Here is the new Q3 render. You are wonderful.

I really enjoy playing with the lighting.
[Jul 7, 2018, 1:34:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

Resized some of light source sphere, ensured no contacts with objects.
Reduced light source brightness.
Reduced shininess of materials.

[Jul 7, 2018, 2:28:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Very nice project, and very nice images.

cec
[Jul 8, 2018, 8:36:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

Thanks @Ceciliabr, I am glad you like it. I am a great admirer of your works and still trying to learn from you. Hope to see more of your works here.
[Jul 9, 2018, 12:46:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

Using Blender, I created a ceiling mounted spot light. Anyone who wants it, feel free to download it from https://sourceforge.net/p/sweethome3d/d-models/496/

Light bulb is not included. tongue

You need to put in a a light bulb (light source from the library) and resize it to 3cm. Resize the spotlight width to 5cm and 3cm for the light bulb/light.

The elevation for the spotlight should be set to 227cm and 232cm for the light bulb/source inside the housing.

Then carefully put the light source as deep as possible in the spotlight housing.

Test it in a dark room to make sure the light source fit properly. Light should not escape from the back or sides of the spotlight. Once fitted properly, select both light source and the spotlight housing, and group them.
[Jul 12, 2018, 6:13:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved