Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 32
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13152 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Holes in the ground

My wish for a future version of sh3d is that objects like furniture or groups do not cut these rectangular holes in the ground.
If it's a single object, i could live with the hole, but it would be nice if it would act like an object in a wall (door or window).
But realy annoying are the holes which the groups cut in the ground. They are often much bigger than they have to be...

sample picture
At the bathing platform you can see the triangle which is from the group of the underwater lights.
And the rectangular hole from the bathing platform which is in a group with the stair and the ladder.

Of course, a houseboat is a special case, but the same problem appears when a house has a cellar.
----------------------------------------
Pascal

SH3D 6.6 / Ubuntu 22.04 (Mainline-Kernel) / Radeon RX580 / Ryzen 7 5800x
[Jun 28, 2018, 9:30:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France
Re: Holes in the ground

Beautiful houseboat, by the way!
[Jun 28, 2018, 10:52:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

@VeroniQ Thanks! As soon as I can pay the money for this dream, I will explore all the canals and rivers in france, and then the rest of the european waterways.
Pascal

[Jun 29, 2018, 5:27:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

At the moment I'm imageing how cool it would be if we could shape landscapes in the ground. Create a negative shape of the landscape, let it form the ground, switch it to invisible and tataa... there are mountains, lakes, hills, rivers...
... but only, if the object only cuts exactly the own shape in the ground...
Pascal

[Jul 6, 2018, 11:17:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

It is not really landscape, but this tip can help you to make a small lake and an hill in a garden.
[Jul 7, 2018, 9:56:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

I know this tip, and it's really a cool workaround, but it is not what I'm talking about.
I wish that objects only cut their own exact shape in the ground, and not a rectangular hole of their length, width and height like they do at the moment.
Pascal

[Jul 7, 2018, 12:00:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..wish that objects only cut their own exact shape in the ground, and not a rectangular hole...
If I understand your point, it is possible to achieve this, but you will have to add a cutout your model, using the FurnitureLibraryEditor and adding SVG. It is, by the way, sometimes faster to go straight for Home.xml and add the cutout there.

staircaseCutOutShape='xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

Either way, you need to be able to describe the cutout in an SVG path, and true, it is not for the faint hearted first time user, but then, your design is pretty advanced too... smile

And if you wish for a SVG cutout for a special model, just ask.

ok

PS. In some thread about the release of a new version, there are comments on why windows have automatic cutouts, while stairs do not.
[Jul 8, 2018, 2:45:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

Again, not what I'm talking about, sorry.
If I have a level at -500mm and I build some round walls in sh3d about 2000mm in height, the ground level (0mm) has a hole exact shaped from the walls.
If I create the round walls in CAD instead and put them on the sublevel (-500mm), the ground has a rectangular hole which is as big as the maximum length and width of the CAD walls.
And my wish is the CAD walls cut the same hole in the ground as the walls from sh3d do it.
Pascal

[Jul 8, 2018, 6:46:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

You are right, I do not get it. Still do not, I am afraid. But I am curious, maybe you could post a model?
..create the round walls in CAD instead and put them on the sublevel (-500mm), the ground has a rectangular hole...
Trying to recreate. Yes, a circular model with no cutout will create a rectangular hole, while walls (or room) will cut along the shape.

I then tried using the same circular object below ground WITH a cutout m 0,0.5 a .5,.5 0,0,0 1,0 a .5,.5 0,0,0 -1,0 z for the model in the FurnitureLibraryEditor (or actually, I just added staircaseCutOutShape='m 0,0.5 a .5,.5 0,0,0 1,0 a .5,.5 0,0,0 -1,0 z' in Home.xml). And there is no longer a square, but a circle (well, two circular arcs to be presise) cutout that fits snugly around the circular model. Any shape can be recreated with SVG, but manually.

But - it seems we may not be talking about the same thing. As I said, I am curious, so a model would be great to illustrate.

ok

PS the Home.xml model then had the following properties for the circular shape:
<pieceOfFurniture level='level0' name='wallcircle_tmp_with_cutout' model='1/wallcircle_tmp.obj' icon='0' x='820.5' y='388.17648' width='522.00006' depth='521.23444' height='240.0' modelSize='30583' movable='false' staircaseCutOutShape='m 0,0.5 a .5,.5 0,0,0 1,0 a .5,.5 0,0,0 -1,0 z'/>

[Jul 8, 2018, 8:52:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
UbuntuBirdy
Advanced Member

Switzerland

You are right, I do not get it. Still do not, I am afraid. But I am curious, maybe you could post a model?

It's not your fault, it seems I'm not able to describe my problem properly...
I understand your solution, but in my opinion, this is only a workaround, and sorry, I'm a perfectionist, and workarounds are only temporary solutions and for me not aceptable. That does not mean they are not good, it's my crazy compulsion to have everything perfect... And in my opinion, a software like sh3d can only get better, if a workaround is not a solution forever.
Ok, you asked for a model: Luxemotor Hull
This is a hull from a old inland cargo vessel.
If I have to create a cutout path, I have to do one for every mm in height because the ships has a different draft for different loads. Ergo, your solution is not the right solution.
And now I go back to the Groups. How can I apply your solution to groups? As you can see in my first post, they cut holes where nothing is.
Believe me, I am very grateful for your help, but in my opinion that is not a solution to my problem.
Pascal

[Jul 8, 2018, 11:52:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved