Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7878 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
digitaltrails

New Zealand
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
General Change Texture Plugin

I've recently spent some time revisiting my code for the Change Texture Plugin (announced in this old forum posting).

I've just uploaded a new plugin - the General Change Texture Plugin. This new plugin generalizes the ability to find and change textures for all furniture, furniture materials, wall sides, room ceilings, room floors, and wall baseboards.

The plugin is useful in those situations where you want to trial different finishes for a large number of items. For example: choosing the right stain for refinishing all timber features; selecting a common stone for all bench-tops; or choosing which wallpaper to use to several rooms. The plugin is also useful for determining and tidying up which textures are in use.

The plugin can find and change both catalog and non-catalog textures. Non-catalog textures are often (always?) furniture default materials. When a default material is changed, the actual default remains unaffected, but it is overridden by creating an instance specific material (just as in SH3D proper).

This plugin is very new and I've used it much less than the old plugin. Definitely take a backup copy of your home model before using it.

Here's a screenshot:

The texture handling code is almost all new (partly based on the the Global Color Change plugin). It uses a heuristic to select whether to identify a texture match by texture-name, material-name, or catalog-id. This seems to work OK for my own models and tests. Normally texture-names have priority. For furniture default-materials, the material-names have priority. Should the names lack values, it will fallback to catalog-ID.

The user interface is relatively unchanged from the original plugin. It does now have an About button. It is also now aware of undo/redo for it's own operations. It is not aware of changes make outside of the plugin, but using the "Show all" or "Show used" right-mouse actions will force it to rewalk and incorporate outside changes (and you can always close and reopen the plugin). As before, the undo/redo actions appear under the main SH3D edit menu.

One limitation I've noticed is that if the plugin is brought up while the home is still loading the plugin can wind up with an incomplete view of what's in use.
[May 28, 2018, 1:47:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
granitehead

United States
Re: General Change Texture Plugin

This works just *great*! Thanks so much!!
[Jan 29, 2021, 5:18:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
digitaltrails

New Zealand
Re: General Change Texture Plugin

This works just *great*! Thanks so much!!

Thanks, it's great to get some feedback.
[Jan 29, 2021, 9:46:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved