Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4308 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
olek94

France
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
levels, floor thickness and wall heights

Hello,

I am a new user, after a few days I did get my house and the 3 levels well done, basically, but :

I wish to add different textures on a wall (textures plus a covering with wood) DO I need to make another wall , very thin ?

Also I do not understand where the floor thickness is taken in account.

For instance from level zero I put a first floor with a 5" thickness.

WHen I will build walls , will they be made always from the basement walls (for instance the basement wall have a certain height, the first floor is declared at a certain heigh, with a certain floor thickness, is that floor thickness to be added to my walls height computation ?)
Are the walls put automatically at the good dimension with the levels menus ?

Thanks (very basic question I agree)

Is it better to have independent walls for each level ? I wish so as my wall is thick at its bottom then smaller .

Thanks (excuse my english)
[Mar 21, 2018, 7:42:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
olek94

France
Re: levels, floor thickness and wall heights

an exemple : my street level is above a basement so there is a ceiling height for the basement that is a little above the street level. But the "street level is on a concrete that is about 2" thick.
What may I enter as an "elevation" for my street level ? (I did tup - 1" and 1" ceiling thickness, is it correct ?)

Is it possible to have a floor thickness in the basement (only part of it have a concrete floor, with some thickness, but the level 0 have the thickness grayed, I cannot enter anything there)

Thanks
[Mar 21, 2018, 8:18:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

I wish to add different textures on a wall (textures plus a covering with wood) DO I need to make another wall , very thin ?
An easier way could be to add baseboards to the wall with its modification dialog box, or place a thin box along it.

When I will build walls , will they be made always from the basement walls?
Walls at upper levels are built from the elevation of their level minus the level floor thickness to the height set in their modification dialog box, and not the the height of the level.
for instance the basement wall have a certain height, the first floor is declared at a certain heigh, with a certain floor thickness, is that floor thickness to be added to my walls height computation ?
Exactly

Are the walls put automatically at the good dimension with the levels menus ?
No. This is on purpose in case you want to create some intermediate levels. The height of the level is used for the ceiling.

Is it better to have independent walls for each level ? I wish so as my wall is thick at its bottom then smaller.
It's up to you. You can create walls with a height covering 2, 3 or more levels, or create smaller walls at each level.

excuse my english
No problem, your English is clear, and most of us are not English here wink

What may I enter as an "elevation" for my street level ? (I did tup - 1" and 1" ceiling thickness, is it correct ?)
If I follow correctly, the floor thickness of the street level should be 2". If you set an elevation of 1" for that level, then the floor will be half buried.

Is it possible to have a floor thickness in the basement (only part of it have a concrete floor, with some thickness, but the level 0 have the thickness grayed, I cannot enter anything there)
The floor of the lowest level doesn't have any thickness as you noticed, but you can create a dummy lower level to be able to enter that thickness.

Note that you could also set walls (and rooms) half transparent in the 3D view modification dialog box to better view your tests on levels.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 22, 2018, 1:07:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
olek94

France

Thanks Emmanuel, answered all my questions ;)
[Mar 22, 2018, 9:48:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
olek94

France

so the basement level height (-120) , plus the street level floor height, (-3 for a 3 thickness) are what declare the thickness of my "street level" (it is just a very small square in front of the entry, the rest of the basement ceiling is also the floor of the basic level of that house and located 70 cm higher.
that ceiling height comes from the level, OK the floor thickness of the 1st floor is added, or substracted, from the height of the leves table ?

I did try basebord to add those wooden decorative walls, at the first level (not 1st floor) but they did build on the basement wall, despite being entered in the room dialog,

I think possibly this is because there was no separate wall at that level, but I entered "compute walls" , what does that switch, ? it do "glue" the walls to the room surface ? it does not split the wall, obviously. Is it to be used from a room without walls only ?

Thanks and sorry for the added questions
[Mar 22, 2018, 10:06:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The elevation of a level is the height at which a floor of a level appears and where objects are placed.

The Compute walls option tries its best but as walls are not "glued" to rooms in the program, it can't work perfectly. Keep in mind that you can change walls directly with their modification dialog box, and that you can also split a wall with the Plan > Split wall menu item.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Mar 23, 2018, 10:37:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

This new tip in the blog can be useful about this subject:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/blog/2018/05/04/ho..._a_split_level_house.html
[May 4, 2018, 4:43:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved