Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7068 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
ndorigatti

Italia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Wall Light with reflect effect?

Dear all, I don't post that much but i read every day your wonderful projects.

I have now an issue related to lamps and lightning that is driving me crazy...

I have this 3ds model of a wall lamp that I've imported in SH3D and put a light source inside it.
The real effect (at my home and in this picture is this):

But my result is this ugly one:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13xRxLaCXM6wf1rRb-0PEgYHnJht8F8Y-

I've tryed to put a light source inside of 5cm (the cube is about 8cm) but I still get that round lightning...

And this is how it is in real life in my home:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KlUNUAjgF9dNyNRn1

Here it is the 3DS model that can be imported in SH3D (i use 8x8cm in height/width) the part that touches the wall is the metal one.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RCWC5hSZ9AKretoMYkSzYr7Q08I_OH0b
[Jan 5, 2018, 3:25:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Re: Wall Light with reflect effect?

.. driving me crazy...
If it is any consolation, you are not the first to be driven mad by getting the light sources right. All the more irritating when looking at the amazing results produced by others.

But as Cec points out in thread 7108 there is usually some cheating involved. You could try:
- several light sources. (inside and probably outside of the model),
- coulours in the range between incandecent (#BB9854) and halogen (#BBAF96),
- set light power quite low,
- make the glass/lampshade luminous as explained by alaX in thread 8206.

However, the best advice is probably to study blog posts on using lights and expert forum threads with details on rendereng, notably posts by Ceciliabr and enkonyito.

ok
[Jan 7, 2018, 9:18:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

Hello okh,
according to the answer and various posts, this is the updates I got, I'm quite happy about it, I just need to make it even better... Probably i should reduce some light sources on the sides and the front part, but they are already at the minimum size and power (0,1cm and 1% lightning)...

I think i'll need to export to obj and modify manually the lights...

There is still an ugly result on the front part, where the circle light is correct (it does the same at home, but the grey part around is wrong. In the second file, I tryed to fix it with a small daylight in front of the lamp but is still not perfect... Any idea on that?

Thanks again!

[Jan 8, 2018, 3:08:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

One of the best things you can do with light in SH3D is using LARGE light sources. Try a light bulb of 100x100x100 cms (40x40x40 inches) placed in the middle (vertically and horizontally) of the room at a rather low setting (15-30%). This will give light but hardly any shadow.

All the other lights can then be used to accentuate your light fixtures, instead of illuminating the room.

H
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Jan 8, 2018, 3:34:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Hansmex point is probably the best advice. Or as Cec said - a bit of cheating (with external, large lightsources).
I think i'll need to export to obj and modify manually the lights...
Just for the record. In the .obj/.mtl you can only set the glow as explained in the alaX link above. If you want to add lightsources to the lamp model, you need to use a furniture library and edit PluginFurnitureCatalog.properties with (multiple) lightsource(s). Not black magic, but it may take a while the first time. All in all, the easier way - and the way of the pro renderers - is using external lightsources. As Hansmex says - bigger is probably better for your effect. Good luck. Keep us posted. ok
[Jan 8, 2018, 9:22:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

With all your advices the results are getting better and better!

I am following the advice to add lights and daylights over and over and seems to get better...

I have now about 17 lights inside and around the lamp, that's a bit strange with respect to my initial ideals (I thought a couple of lights will be enough!) but I'm every day more happy about the result (I get no more than 30 minutes per day, so it will be long!)

here it is the today result, I still have to make the sides better (should be fully luminous and not a circle) and the front part (should be a circle in the center and a soft light around the circle).

Lastly, I'll want to soften a bit the light on the wall, but that is optional and probably can be done with more small lights!

[Jan 9, 2018, 11:19:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..results are getting better and better...

smile perfect takes a while.

For someone not patient enough to add multiple lightsources to the model with exact dimensions and positions, just one lightsource in the model and one in the room, is not too bad. Here a slightly different model with a probably unnecessary reflector in the middle + incandescent colour and low power setting. Added a random other light to the room, but as Hansmex mentioned, result should improve by using a couple of larger lightsources around the room.

SF 3D models 455:
cubelamp.zip : model only, with glow in .mtl
lamp_test_cube.sh3d : .sh3d file model with and without lightsource)
Settings in the .sh3d Home.xml file:
<light name='cubelamplight' model='3/cubelamp.obj' icon='2' x='100.0' y='5.25' elevation='180.0' width='8.0' depth='10.5' height='8.0' power='0.15'>
<lightSource x='0.5' y='0.7' z='0.5' color='00BB9854' diameter='0.7'/>
</light>

[Jan 9, 2018, 11:37:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

And today I managed to make it almost perfect.
I'm quite happy with the light reflections up and down and the cone is very similar to the real one... I added a rectangular box inside the lamp to split the top and bottom lights, so that the light cone is uniform.

Attached a picture took in the moorning and the result with q4 settings.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMI34bHa...4UGdpeHBkb1hPSHJqNGRfdF9n

I think I'll copy okh glow effect (if you don't mind it!) and then i'm happy with that!

I used 18 light sources (but I think 6-7 of them can be removed after setting the glow effect) and 5 up and 5 down are for the correct cone and light level, so if someone want so save money on lights, i can be done with a couple up and a couple down with similar results...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-FLoUQ01g6iiMOHjnQu4igIwLihJ4dKN

[Jan 10, 2018, 3:29:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

Looking good now smile

Model, of course, is for anyone to use, as regards the .mtl settings, thank alaX for pointing it out (8206).

I worry about too many lightsources, complicated to edit later and could make rendering slow, but then, that is me. Do not miss Cec' new thread (8232) on using multiple lights.

ok
[Jan 10, 2018, 8:33:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

I used the glow, maybe is too glowing, I'll try to reduce the NS value in MTL as soon as I have time...

In anycase, I'm really happy now with the result and yes, I already followed the cec thread on multiple lights (otherwise I could not have obtained a decent light shading!)

Here attached the link to the result in the "demo" project

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pr2SbhvUR9Gw9NLlUUhsHcxXud943kRS
[Jan 11, 2018, 10:56:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved