Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13852 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
ecopy

Russia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
biggrin VR mode for your 3d home

A couple of weeks ago I started to draw a plan of my flat using this wonderful program. Now that the most of the walls, doors and furniture is settled, I rendered some views to get an impression of the designed rooms.
After that I had an idea to use Google cardboard "vr glasses" to get the right feeling.
Unfortunately the only way I've found was to export .obj file and open it with the obj2vr app. :( . This app flips x-axis, has no liggting options, and no longer supported.
Nevertheless the impression of being inside is just what I need to be sure that I get what was meant. So I ask for the VR mode.
[Dec 25, 2017, 8:49:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
qythyx

Japan
Re: VR mode for your 3d home

I've been interested in something similar. What I've done is rendered spherical 360 panorama images, which I can then view in cardboard. This gives a great view of the rooms, but is a static image, so I can't "walk" through the house. See this thread (http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,8039) for a bit more info.

I too would love a VR mode view. To be real-time it would need to be rendered with OpenGL or such, which means it would not be able to do the photo-realistic images. Still, it would be very useful.
[Jan 6, 2018, 7:17:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
snake00jap

Maroc

Hello,

I also did a lot of experimentations to display my home plan into VR and AR.

For VR, a simple way to do that is like qythyx said, is to generate 360 panorama of your scene. You can generate as many panorama as you want and link them with a dedicated software like KRpano of is you have basic knowledge of HTML with AFRAME. You can then have virtual tour and teleport yourself from a point to another.

Now, I m trying to do a real time WEBVR app with Aframe. To achieve that, we need to export the scene as obj. But I have very very limited knowledge in 3D, so I m facing a lots of problems.

First when I export the model, I see that is too big so it is hard to deploy it in WebGl.

Can you please help me to fing a workflow to clean the obj model in order to display it as AR model (low poly) and VR ? (reduce poly, clean the mesh, have my texture work...). I use blender, I don't know if it s a good approch ?

Thanks for your help !
[Oct 23, 2018, 3:34:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

I agree with others here I would love support for VR.

I am designing 3 buildings one for my family and 2 to be rented out to tourists - Americans would call these lodges, Europeans might call them chalets.

A subtle area of interest is whether I have given my guests enough room, its not trivial, whether or not we feel cramped in temporary accommodation dependent on many factors and I would really love to have an accurate VR visit - real time. Sure it would
be great to create higher quality videos but really I would be happy with quality already available in the virtual view ( aerial and visitor ) but simply two views separated by eye distance and so on.

Not sure I am on top of the full process, for instance from what I read VR googles costing typically a couple of hundred Euro / US dollars still require a driver or intermediate box of tricks between laptop and goggles. Personally given the cost of even a self build and the cost of goggles I think its a non-brainer - the cost of mistakes that might be revealed in a fully immersive experience would normally cost a lot more to fix after build or even during build.

Does anyone have a complete picture of the hardware side of things?
Could you connect a 200 Euro pair of Goggles to a laptop?
What kind of cable/connections would be involved?
Would we need a box of tricks between laptop and goggles - a hardware driver?
Any hope this solution might exist in the Linux world for those of us who have left the world of windows?

I would love to know more.

I have messed around in Blender which does claim to have support for producing at least VR videos but so far I find it an
uphill struggle and I am not a Blender noobie, personally I find the aerial visit and virtual visit in SweetHome absolutely
brilliant - they work like a charm, easy to set up with accuracy ( height of viewpoint and so on ), I will continue to try
on all fronts but so far I would rate SweetHome as infinitely superior in terms of ease of use and whilst Blender may have
more rendering options the aerial and virtual visit quality in SweetHome is probably more realistic for most peoples hardware.
[Mar 31, 2019, 2:16:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

I came across this company

https://irisvr.com/prospect

Who allow you to buy cloud time on their system so that you can upload your OBJ file and even share the virtual experience with others.

I could easily imagine that later in my project when I have started to actually invest more than time ( and after I have sent a decent donation to SweetHome3D ) I would be quite happy to pay $50 per month for say 2 months for VR - my belief is its better to spend 100 in the virtual world rather than 1000's in the real world correcting things.

The main snag now is finding someone to rent the VR goggles at a decent price - ( I would prefer to rent both or buy both, I have no long term interest in owning one without the other - not a gamer or VR leisure person ).
[Apr 15, 2019, 10:21:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jonnie63

I am updating my position on this after literally hundreds of hours now working on my project ( a real self build ) in SweetHome3d.

I believe that anyone who has a powerful computer to do rendering can have a really good 3D VR experience without any new functionality - all you need is the type of VR goggles that can take a smart phone and a smart phone that has good graphics and the necessary orientation sensors.

Here is the argument.

The whole point about VR and design is that for any kind of aesthetic appreciation it needs to be realistic. If you want live VR then you will need say 25 frames per second per eye if you want true stereoscopic. What kind of quality in realistic rendering can we expect when we need 50 frames rendered in high resolution per second?

Lets take a different path?

Why not use panorama tour technology (which does work with VR goggles) and pre-render each scene at high resolution with real tracing so that sunlight actually looks realistic and so on? What is it that you give up?

I would argue that the only thing you give up is that you have to pre-render every scene, you can view the room as if you were standing at A and you can view the room as if you were standing at B but unless you rendered a scene as if you were standing at C then you cannot see the room from C until you render a new scene and add it to your tour. So what we lose is the ability to just go anywhere when we feel like it - we can only view from predefined points that we chose.

Ok so what do you gain?

Well the answer is sheer visual quality.

I have a reasonably fast 8 core laptop - for each scene in my tour it usually takes ten hours to render, I am rendering at pretty much full quality and my output image is 5000 pixels by 2500 pixels with many light sources including the sun and high resolution textures.

So we are comparing a render that takes my machine ten hours against a render that would take 1/25th of a second - guess which one will look best?

Personally I think we will need to see huge leaps in hardware speed before a live VR experience with real time rendering will equal a pre-rendered tour.

Yesterday I added yet another scene to my tour, in this case I wanted to view the living room from when I sit down in a particular chair. I want to make fine judgement calls about how things look and whether they need improving - I really need to feel that I am there.

When I put on my 20 euro VR goggles, insert my good quality (graphics) smart phone, carefully calibrate everything then I really feel I am almost sitting in that chair. The textures for the fabric of the chair are very high resolution and you can tell what kind of weave and fabric material it is, it really does feel almost real.

To get that kind of quality from my current machine using real time rendering I would need it to be

25 x 60 x 60 x 10 times as fast which is nearly one million times as fast !!!

The downside of course is that I have to update the script for the tour every time I add a new scene, I have to add hotspots, process images and so on - in a real time set up I would just move myself to a new position and expect the software and hardware to instantaneously give me the new view.

But for a project that you are willing to commit a lot of time then the investment in time rendering and updating your panorama tour might really be worth it.

To get started all you need is the advanced rendering plugin to create spherical images and a good panorama tour maker that includes a WEB VR option which simply means you view your creation on a webpage that operates a split screen ( left eye right eye ) and simulates parallax or in true stereoscopic mode actually gives you real parallax.

See these examples (with your goggles on or just a tablet if you dont care for full immersion ) for the same with photos instead of renderings...

https://krpano.com/krpanocloud/webvr/
[Aug 1, 2019, 11:21:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved