Blog

Index  | Recent Threads  | List Attachments  | Search
 Welcome Guest  |  Register  |  Login
Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 185
Posts: 185   Pages: 19   [ Previous Page | 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 208828 times and has 184 replies Next Thread
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

My beloved family has embarked upon a short, and hopefully refreshing, sea-journey to Oslo, Norway, with the purpose of driving up to the mountains while the road is still drivable. Our cozy little mountain cabin is waiting to be prepared for the winter. The chimney has to be covered to prevent snow from entering the fireplace, and the water tanks with the hoses and the pump must be emptied, or things will freeze and become useless.
I myself have chosen to stay put, wrap myself in warm blankets, drink cinnamon tea, and nurse my sore throat in an attempt to fight off a beginning cold.
Besides, being home alone, I’m free to concentrate on my writing ( or any other nonsense I decide to indulge in), without interference.

Here in Denmark, we are entering a new season.
A somewhat hot summer is rapidly being replaced by a rather windy autumn.
Soon there will be winter.
It will be a mild winter, according to the weather prophets.
I don’t believe in prophets.
Prophets are not in control of the weather – or the seasons.
But they sure can create turbulence!

In Pong City
there are no focus on seasons:

Indeed; ignorance is bliss…

But on the other hand,
one can never really predict the intricate migratory patterns of electrical impulses between synapses in a nonexistent brain.
So; in case any citizen of Pong City should incidentally happened to develop an interest in expanding their horizon, the Creator has furnished them with a library.
Quite risky, of course, allowing non-existent being to enter “The Realm of Knowledge”: There’s always the odd chance that someone – someone once a free spirit – might stumble across the big puzzle – If I’m not real, how can I have free will?

Well…

At this point in the story, I will tell my girls about Urðr, Verðandi and Skuld – the three Norns of the Norse Mythology.
Their primary task it is to water Yggdrasil – the tree that connects the Nine Worlds.
But that's not all these three females do. When they are not busy hoisting water from the well, they spend their time spinning the threads of life, weaving the faith of every living being into the endless tapestry that predicts ( and decides) the destiny of gods and men, and everything in between.
Keeping one eye on the past, one eye on the future, and one eye on the present, these women are the cause that creates the effect.

Once bitten – twice shy?
… or are all our choices and actions controlled by the sum of all effects generated by all previously existing causes, dated back to the beginning of time?

Mr. Pong
is not concerned about free will.
He has other things on his mind.

For several months now, Plaza Mañana has suffered from depopulation, due to the booming noise from the building site.

Now, as the new (and quite ugly) office building have finally been erected, the plaza is once again a peaceful place, and Plaza Mañana is slowly coming back to life.

New elements have been added. There are interesting tings to watch…

senior citizens enjoying a bottle of Tignanello …

prominent people in need of transport…

and lovebirds.

Has someone walked away from their shoe-wear? Maybe a peg-legged sailor have finally given in to an old dream, and is walking barefoot around town?

Be that as it may...
All in all, things are seemingly back to normal at Plaza Mañana – except for one thing…

At the library,
Mr. Pong is struggling with a book written by a foreigner called Thomas Hobbes – a book selected for him by his wife.
Written nearly four hundred and fifty years ago, it explains the relationship between society and government – exactly the kind of knowledge that Mr Pong seeks.
Yet it’s a book he finds a bit demanding to comprehend.
From his desk by the window, he can see that night is falling.

His eyes are unconsciously drawn to the illuminated billboards on the newly erected office building across the street.
“Vote for Charlie – Charles Temple for mayor.”
– All these posters, he thinks, – wherever I turn my head there’s the same poster!
Himself he had never needed any poster. Mr. Pong had always been the only candidate – until now.
But at the same time he was grateful that the city had been plastered with these tasteless posters.
– A reminder, Mr. Pong says to himself, – a reminder of the very reason he had become one of the most frequent guests here at the library.

In his earlier life, Mr. Pong never experienced any cerebral blasts from reading books.
In his earlier life, he preferred illustrated magazines and comics, and could easily digest a dozen a day.
He had once read that an image can say more than a thousand words, and had found this to be a both relevant and pleasant concept for his approach to literature.
The more images and the less text – the greater his pleasure.
In his present life, however, Mr. Pong has come under the impression that books with more words than images could propel a progressive, not to mention necessary, increase of his intellectual capacity. This new understanding (although he still prefers his Italian comics), is what has driven him to explore the contents of the public library with a growing appetite.
– This Hobbes-fellow is not easy to digest, Mr. Pong says to himself, as he puts the book away, – but it’s important, he continues, – very important!
But so is dinner!

On his way home, Mr. Pong stops for a second, looking with dismay at one of the numerous election posters for Charlie Temple, and finds himself creating a mental preview of their coming debate:
– Mr.Temple, he would address him politely, – do you feel you have the power to protect this city?
Mr. Pong is imagining that Mr. Temple will answer something like: “Power? What are you talking about?”
And then, Mr. Pong will strike. In his mind he can hear himself quoting Mr. Thomas Hobbes:
– As you are most surely familiar with, Mr. Temple; in a society, the citizens’ obligation to the sovereign will last only as long as the power by which the sovereign is able to protect them, lasts.
Mr. Pong smiles.
– How will you react to that, Charlie Temple? Will you consult the Tin Man?

cec
[Oct 23, 2019, 7:18:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

As always, intriguing story, gorgeous images. Thank you!!
----------------------------------------
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Oct 23, 2019, 7:40:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

Wonderful story and pictures, I see only one "issue", when Mr. Pong is drinking wine, glass is inclined but wine wins gravity!

And, that italian book at the library... silly silly
[Oct 24, 2019, 7:48:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

I see only one "issue", when Mr. Pong is drinking wine, glass is inclined but wine wins gravity!
He, he smile

Fixed! Image updated.Thank you!

This was the the first shot:

I decided not to use this shot, as it belongs to a part of the story that is omitted here.
Since I'm comfortably lazy by nature, I re-used the wine glass for the reverse shot, although I twisted the hand slightly.
It shall not happen again!

Cec
[Oct 25, 2019, 10:56:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ndorigatti

Italia

Wow that's perfect now! I always wonder how you can achieve such quality and detail, you're a real professionist.
Thanks for sharing these goods!
[Oct 25, 2019, 12:47:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
VeroniQ
Advanced Member

France

Yes, beautiful! Many thanks.
And now, the question is: Who is this mysterious Charlie... ?!
[Oct 25, 2019, 12:55:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rontant
Advanced Member

Singapore

Such creativity, patience, and a very fast rendering machine...
Bravo!
[Oct 26, 2019, 1:13:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Xiste
Advanced Member

Norway

Has someone walked away from their shoe-wear? Maybe a peg-legged sailor have finally given in to an old dream, and is walking barefoot around town?
laughing
It's not just your images that are remarkable, you definitely have a way with words!

Xiste
[Oct 26, 2019, 12:28:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Thank you all for the nice comments.

@rontant: These renders are not very demanding on the CPU. I'm still using my four years old 12 core Mac Pro.
Average rendering time for these images (2560 px 16:9 ) is two hors. Six images auto-render over night.

VeroniQ:
And now, the question is: Who is this mysterious Charlie... ?!

Time will tell! sad

@Xiste: Thank you!
I always wanted to be writer, but now I'm lost between four languages and not really mastering any of them.

Cec
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Oct 27, 2019, 3:23:20 PM]
[Oct 27, 2019, 3:21:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

Later she asks:
– Can he win?
Mr. Pong answers that he doesn’t know.
– I don’t know, he says, and adds that the future is an exclusively hidden realm which is ultimately impossible to predict, unless you are God… or a psychic.
A sudden smile appears on his lips.
– Like the witch of Endor, he says with a chuckle, clinging to a faint hope of changing the subject.
But at the exact moment that he opens his mouth to ask his wife what she knows about Endor, she says:
– You know, it could be nice for Hope if Charlie becomes mayor. They are engaged to be married, you know.
Mr. Pong does not know.
– Come again? Married?
– M-hm.
– Seriously?

This is bad news.

– The soup is the real deal. It’s not the mock, his wife says.

Turtle soup – “a la Taft” – the real deal

After a short silence his wife speaks again:
– Charlie is a coming man, she says.

Mr. Pong says nothing.
Mr. Pong knows when to speak – and when to hold his tongue.
He is contemplating his next move.
Maybe invite him to dinner? “Keep your enemies close”, was the advice from The Godfather.
But The Godfather had a manuscript. Mr. Brando just played the part and spoke his lines from a script – for money.
There’s no script for my part, Mr. Pong tells himself, nobody’s writing my lines…

It’s getting dark outside.

Later he says:
– I must get back to the office.

– Did you like the soup?

– M-hm.

What have I done to deserve this? Mr. Pong thinks on his way to the office. First he seduced my daughter, and now he is marrying her… and campaining against me!
I won’t have it!, he mumbles, I’m NOT having it! He’s far too old for my daughter!
Who is this son-of-a-bitch?

Indeed!
Who is
The Man from Harryville
a.k.a. Harry the Hawk.

?

In Pong City he is known as Charles BishopTemple, the founder, the majority owner, and the CEO of the We See Company, the company that recently moved into new office building.

( Charlie Temple is actually a son of a bitch.
His mother was he late Zora Kaizer, a self proclaimed gypsy queen from Hoxton. His father, a pickpocket from Wexford called Sterling Moss (a.k.a. The Quarter), had only one thing to say when he was introduced to the result of the one nighter:
“You said you were on the pill! Bitch!”
They named it Evelyn Moss, and left it on the doorstep of the Harryville Presbyterian Church in Ballymena. )

Charlie has chosen this destination carefully.
He’s been planning his moves for years.

The We See Building - the first draft.

On the first floor, there’s the class rom, where Mr. Temple will give classes.

On the second floor: the control room. Where the CC-TV cameras can be monitored, and where internet traffic and phone calls are analysed.

The We See Company is operating in the surveillance business, offering it’s services to whoever offers the green stuff.
Surveillance is a fast growing business.
Knowledge is power, says Mr. Temple.
And that is exactly what Mr. Temple is selling – for money; the only thing more powerful than knowledge.

The We See Company has a slogan: We don’t wear sox!

On weekdays Mr. Temple is educating a group of potentially new surveyors:

The enlisted potentials are few, but Mr. Temple shows no sign of disappointment.

Back in his office,
Mr. Pong is concerned about the The Pong Arena, and the impact on his financial situation.
For years he has been patiently awaiting a reply from Madonna, but now he is secretly caressing the idea of writing another letter – maybe to Dolly Parton… or Mr. Sting…
or ( heaven forbid ) to Miley Cyrus.
The latter was a suggestion from his daughter Hope – a suggestion he at first dismissed. But the more he’s been thinking about it, the more the idea has grown,
especially after he learned that Miley Cyrus is the goddaughter of Dolly Parton. Maybe…

His thoughts are interrupted when the telephone rings.
– Good evening mister Pong. My name is Charles Temple. I understand you have a picture of the MS. München in you office. I suggest we have a conversation about it.
– I can assure you, mister Temple, it’s not for sale - not at any price.
– Call me Charlie. My representatives are on their way. I do apologise for the inconvenience.
– What inconv… (click)

The representatives presents themselves as Tom and Ed Fisk. Mr. Pong thinks they look like re-educated undertakers.

Tom and Ed Fisk are insurance lawyers, they say.
They are looking into the loss of the MS. Múnchen, they say.
– We have reason to believe you can share some details about what happened with a special part of the cargo, they say.

Later Mr.Pong makes an entry in his diary:

They looked like re-educated undertakers, but they were NOT re-educated: They were here to bury me!

( What Mr. Pong does not know, is that the Creator has something up her sleeve… )

Cec
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ceciliabr at Nov 6, 2019, 8:23:23 PM]
[Nov 6, 2019, 8:17:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 185   Pages: 19   [ Previous Page | 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved