Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 8
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1350 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
TravelingMan

Australia
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Should I draw the plot first or the house?

I want to design a small house on an 18mtr x 32mtr block, oriented NNW, I would like to draw the plan in its correct orientation, to help with solar passive design features.

Should I draw the whole block first and then add the house or do the house and then expand around it?

This will be a design from the ground up, no images for use etc.

TIA
[Dec 16, 2017, 12:55:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa
Re: Should I draw the plot first or the house?

I want to design a small house on an 18mtr x 32mtr block, oriented NNW, I would like to draw the plan in its correct orientation, to help with solar passive design features.
Should I draw the whole block first and then add the house or do the house and then expand around it?
This will be a design from the ground up, no images for use etc.
TIA

You are free to do that you want... biggrin
----------------------------------------
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Dec 16, 2017, 8:04:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
hansmex
Advanced Member

Netherlands

...but I would always to draw the plot first
Hans

new website - under constuction
hansdirkse.info
[Dec 16, 2017, 9:45:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TravelingMan

Australia

So is it like gimp, where you can draw on different layers and stack them, or doing the whole plot, textured grass, then drawing the house with suitable flooring etc, simply overly the plot textures?
[Dec 17, 2017, 2:39:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
bdfd
Advanced Member

Western Europa

So is it like gimp, where you can draw on different layers and stack them, or doing the whole plot, textured grass, then drawing the house with suitable flooring etc, simply overly the plot textures?
The twice ! wink
So it's like a lego game. smile
You choose the ground, after the bricks for the walls, ...

Layer in sh3d is named level (to separate the height, example: cellar, first level, 1st floor, roof, ...) but it's an option.

The best of that is the practice. wink

smile
Evil progresses when good people do nothing!
---
SH3D 7.1 and nothing else - W11 64b in 4K
[Dec 17, 2017, 5:46:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ceciliabr
Advanced Member

Denmark

@TravelingMan

Yes – more or less – except that it's 3D and has a z-axis.
If you want your terrain to accurately represent a specific geographical place, you should create the ground first, and on it's own layer.
For a serious project it's always smart to keep different sort of elements on separate layers : Walls, windows and doors on one layer, rooms ( with or without ceilings) on another layer, and furniture and paraphernalia on yet another layer. Light sources should also have their own layer.
Create your layers by using the "Add level at same elevation"-option that appears when right-clicking in the project window (unless of course if you want a layer on an elevated level).

The advantage of using layers (like in Gimp) is that you can hide the layers you are not working on. That's a great advantage if your project should gain weight and become slow to handle.

Things like grass and shrubbery and other elements belonging to the surroundings, are best left until the rest is done. Be aware that it's possible to create layers beneath the zero level. Elevation will accept negative figures down to minus ten meters.

Good luck!

Cec
[Dec 30, 2017, 4:34:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Bubblobill

Australia

+1, I always go with the plot first.
Be aware that the compass rose can be modified. This means you can layout everything as a nice orthogonal plan then adjust the compass to accommodate correct sun position.
[Jan 2, 2018, 12:07:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..plot first...
Pretty unanimous smile And on a separate level. As Cec says, useful to hide. And if you get carried away and put too much on the terrain level, you could even keep that level in a separate file to copy-paste later for rendering and/or use simpler models first. ok
[Jan 2, 2018, 1:03:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved