Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 7
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19002 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Mr.J

Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Printing Walls from side

Hi,

I have planned my building and now I would like to calculate cables & electricity and document it.

For that it would be extremely helpful if there was a way to have a print/view of every wall from the side. I could't find anything...have I missed it? Do you have an idea for me, how to accomplish something like that?

Printing the 3D View is not really an option as it would not be to scale.
[Oct 11, 2017, 11:25:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France
Re: Printing Walls from side

Sorry, there's no side views in Sweet Home 3D.
A workaround could be to export (a part of) your home to OBJ format, then reimport it as a piece of furniture and rotate it at the second step of the Furniture import wizard.
To get a nicer image of that kind of side view, you could then choose a larger icon size in preferences.
----------------------------------------
Emmanuel Puybaret, Sweet Home 3D developer
[Oct 15, 2017, 6:06:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Mr.J

Thanks for your answer (even though I hoped it would be my fault).

I really wonder that this is a feature that I seem to be the only one interested in. It should not be to hard to implement I'd guess.
Oh well, I guess I have to tinker then :)

Thanks for your extremely helpful software as well :)
[Oct 17, 2017, 4:24:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
okh
Advanced Member

..I really wonder that this is a feature that I seem to be the only one interested in. It should not be to hard to implement I'd guess.
Oh well, I guess I have to tinker then :)

Thanks for your extremely helpful software as well :)
Oh, you are not alone in wishing for a simple way to create a lateral view. The question does come up from time to time, also in the feature requests (SF ticket 484 with links to a couple of similar, closed ones).

In addition to what Puybaret suggests, you may want to look at threads 5416 and 5498 to see couple of approaches.

One way is to create a side photo as in Akalvin's house in 5416#23778. Moving the virtual visitor far away (say 50000 cm) and setting the field of view to minimum (2°) before you create the photo, will generate a relatively undistorted side view. Easy with a facade, but will also work with inner walls if you remove (delete) obstructing walls and furniture for the shot.

The below test was created by exporting the facade as obj, importing, turning it, shrinking height, and adding dimension lines in SH3D before editing the SVG export with Inkscape. I quite like this way, as the exported SVG will have one px equal one cm when adding/editing objects, so it is fairly easy to edit with high accuracy. Again, not perfect, but maybe good enough for documentation (the wall background would be nicer now with the new possiblity of increasing icon size).

ok

See closed SF feature request ticket 676 for files used in this example:
[Oct 20, 2017, 9:57:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

Note that in the version 5.5, an option was added in the preferences to let you choose the size in pixels of furniture icons in the plan. Larger icons will help to get more detailed images in plans copied to the clipboard or exported at SVG format, but also will give better results for lateral / side views created with the suggestion mentioned by Okh, as shown in the following images.

Sweet Home 3D Example 7 side view with plan icon size 128x128

Sweet Home 3D Example 7 side view with plan icon size 1024x1024

But keep in mind that larger icons will consume more RAM, so you may have to change the size of furniture icons back to a smaller value when your plan contains many pieces.
[Jul 27, 2020, 10:49:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Gildaniel
Advanced Member

Russia

Lateral view, oh you so expected and awaited is SH!
Almost so mach as roofing...
[Jul 28, 2020, 9:20:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Puybaret
Expert

France

The new Side view plug-in will allow you to display side views of the edited home.

Hope you'll like it smile
[Apr 3, 2021, 9:54:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved